Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:04 AM
miu

17,765 posts, read 40,124,602 times

Advertisements

I just don't understand why you don't see the problem with your whole family (including you) paying out perhaps $10K to maybe $15K a year in health insurance premiums to get over $600K in medical benefits for your cancer ridden brother. How is that remotely fair to the rest of us?

And I sure hope that his cancer has nothing at all to do with his lifestyle choices. Such as smoking cigarettes if it's lung cancer. And I would feel the same way if a heavy drinker or alcoholic needed a liver transplant. Or someone with complications due to a lifetime of poor eating habits that caused them to be obese or high sugar intake that caused them to develop diabetes and/or Alzheimers (they are all linked).

Again, you really should be directing your dissatisfaction towards those high bills that the hospital is presenting to your family for your brother's care. And as a comparison, compared those numbers to what a veterinary hospital would charge for treating a large dog with the same condition.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:07 AM

21 posts, read 28,540 times
It's crazy to me how divisive this issue has become.

And I'm sadly fascinated by people that really have a 100% "Me and mine only!" mindset.
I think MOST Americans do want to help other people. The problem is figuring out which end to work at.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:17 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
$600K at last count for medical expenses. Is that excessive? Probably not. It involved 3 months in the hospital. Surgery to remove internal organs. Chemotherapy and radiation PLUS all the doctors and nurses involved in treatment. That's not counting drugs that cost over $300 per prescription for a month supply.
Those surgeons and nurses are on duty at the hospital anyway. There is a lot of fat in those numbers. The same treatment would also cost a lot less in other countries. Which is why some US citizens will go abroad for medical treatment.

And yes, his children SHOULD be responsible for his bills. After all, it's one of the main reasons that breeders give for having children, to be looked after in their old age. It is the whole family's responsibility, not a problem to make everyone else pay for.

In the US, we just have too many problems that we expect society to bear the brunt of. What happened to personal responsibility? And yes, if I needed an expensive procedure and wanted to go through with it, and insurance wouldn't cover it, then yes I would have to sell enough of all of my belongings to pay for it.

For a long time, I have also been disgusted by families who shield their parents' assets so that their stay in an elder care facility is covered by the state.

Otherwise, with my boyfriend's grandparents, his grandmother was in an expensive care facility for the last five years of her life. It did drain the family's assets significantly, but his grandfather willingly put aside the funds for her care. And BTW he was born on a farm in Michigan, was a soldier in WWII and lived through the depression. He was a self made man with several concurrent professions. lived a healthy lifestyle, was frugal with his earnings, adopted three children, and still gave back to his community and the local university. When his Florida house developed a sinkhole in the yard, he got an insurance payout, fixed the problem and they returned the extra money back to the insurance company. America needs more citizens like him. And I thought that I would find some of those people up here in NH, but perhaps not.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:19 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenX View Post

And I'm sadly fascinated by people that really have a 100% "Me and mine only!" mindset.
I think MOST Americans do want to help other people. The problem is figuring out which end to work at.
I actually don't have a 100% me and mine only mindset. The problem is that I feel very strongly that I am already giving enough between my Federal and state income taxes (I have to work in MA in order to support my NH house payments AND property taxes) and my high NH property taxes. When does it stop?

Old 10-07-2013, 09:20 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,214,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenX View Post

JenX,

I don't mind helping people who truly need help. I just don't want the .gov forcing me with a gun to do so.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:30 AM

276 posts, read 447,775 times
furthermore, why should women and men pay the same for health insurance? They don't use services equally and they dont even use the same services (men dont get pregnant). Men have to pay more for auto or life insurance, so why is it a crime against humanity if an insurance company prices policies differently for men and women? The reality is people who have no concept of ecomics get to vote other people's money away, and Obamacare is a transfer of wealth and benefits. Not to mention a vote buying scheme.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,958,737 times
It appears that some here just don't comprehend what health insurance is.

Here is a definition from Consumer Reports:

" Health insurance is a way to reduce those costs to an amount that you can manage by sharing the risk with others. That works because most people are mostly healthy most of the time, so their premiums help pay for the expenses of the small number who are sick or injured."

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Myth Number 1.

But rather than capping jury awards, they hope to cut the number of medical malpractice cases by reducing medical errors, as they explain in an in the New England Journal of Medicine.

In other words, to the Republicans, suits and payouts are the ill.

To the Democrats, the problem is a slew of medical injuries of which the suits are a symptom.

The latest evidence shows the Democrats' diagnosis to be right.

The best attempt to synthesize the academic literature on medicalmalpractice is Tom Baker's The Medical Malpractice Myth, published last November. Baker, a law professor at the University of Connecticut who studies insurance, argues that the hype about medical malpractice suits is "urban legend mixed with the occasional true story, supported by selective references to academic studies." After all, including legal fees, insurance costs, and payouts, the cost of the suits comes to less than one-halfof 1 percent of health-care spending. If anything, there are fewer lawsuits than would be expected, and far more injuries than we usually imagine."

LINK

Facts sometimes get the way of opinions.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,126,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I just don't understand why you don't see the problem with your whole family (including you) paying out perhaps $10K to maybe $15K a year in health insurance premiums to get over $600K in medical benefits for your cancer ridden brother. How is that remotely fair to the rest of us?

And I sure hope that his cancer has nothing at all to do with his lifestyle choices. Such as smoking cigarettes if it's lung cancer. And I would feel the same way if a heavy drinker or alcoholic needed a liver transplant. Or someone with complications due to a lifetime of poor eating habits that caused them to be obese or high sugar intake that caused them to develop diabetes and/or Alzheimers (they are all linked).

Again, you really should be directing your dissatisfaction towards those high bills that the hospital is presenting to your family for your brother's care. And as a comparison, compared those numbers to what a veterinary hospital would charge for treating a large dog with the same condition.
perhaps if I had the $.....it would be possible. So $10K on the $600K bill would reduce it to $590K. Still a foreclosure situation. You don't seem to understand. He PAID for his insurance for decades. They CANCELLED him. He was unable to purchase insurance from anyone until ACA. NOW, his FAMILY will pay the insurance premiums for him. So quit your bitchin' about stuff you appear to know nothing about.

He will be covered through the Medical Exchange. I'm happy for him and the boys. You should be too.

As for the nurses and doctors.....you've never been sick apparently. His surgery was 16 hours straight. These are not regular doctor hours..... He had stomach and esophagus cancer and now it's attacking his kidneys. He's always been a hard worker, non-smoker and non-drinker. It's been suggested that perhaps his diet caused the stomach cancer. He ate meat. He also ate processed foods which are high in additives and preservatives. Stop being so judgMENTAL and have a little empathy and compassion for your fellow citizens. Someday YOU will be dying and I hope your children and your brothers/sisters or parents are not stuck with your bills.

Comparing him to a dog? You are one sick puppy. He would be put down as a mercy kill.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:44 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,126,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I actually don't have a 100% me and mine only mindset. The problem is that I feel very strongly that I am already giving enough between my Federal and state income taxes (I have to work in MA in order to support my NH house payments AND property taxes) and my high NH property taxes. When does it stop?

It's your choice to work in MA. We don't care that you pay out of state taxes. They are not helping anyone in NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire