Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 03:32 PM

323 posts, read 346,474 times

Advertisements

Thank you to everyone for all of your input and encouragement...I know NH is the best place for us.

Also, thanks for the all the tips and tricks about New England winters (and the link to LL Bean! Always wanted to shop here!). Will definitely be stocking up on supplies and getting some snow tires (we don't even sell those down here).

Anyway, wanted to chime in on what happens to Texans in snow....

It IS like a King of the Hill episode except most of the time, it's:
1. Not even snow...it just gross nastiness
2. It shuts down the entire city/area/region...work stops, school stops, grocery stores and restaurants close...its like a state of emergency

So to say I am interested in this whole snow driving is an understatement. Personally, I can't wait to learn and not be told to be afraid of the snow and cold anymore. This is truly exciting.

Oh and my husband and I will be headed up to NH in a couple of weeks to look at temp housing and get a good feel for the area to start getting an idea about where we want to actually buy and house and settle later on. We have both read great things about Dover and Exeter - charming, quaint, quintessential New Hampshire. What other towns fit that bill?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 04:11 PM

830 posts, read 1,539,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHeather View Post

Oh and my husband and I will be headed up to NH in a couple of weeks to look at temp housing and get a good feel for the area to start getting an idea about where we want to actually buy and house and settle later on. We have both read great things about Dover and Exeter - charming, quaint, quintessential New Hampshire. What other towns fit that bill?

Thanks!!!
It depends on the type of geography you want. Dover and Exeter are in the "Seacoast" area, which I wouldn't say is quintessential New Hampshire, though those are very nice towns (Dover being about twice the size of Exeter.) Rural towns outside of the Seacoast area are probably more "quintessential New Hampshire." There's Gilmanton... or if you want a "real downtown," there is Peterborough, in the western part of the state. Look at Francestown... definitely don't overlook Portsmouth, which is probably my favorite location in NH... but again while it is classically New England, I don't think it can be said to be quintessential New Hampshire. It is a small coastal city right next to Maine and if anything would be more "quintessential coastal Maine" than even "quintessential coastal New Hampshire."

Old 09-26-2013, 04:25 PM

128 posts, read 293,466 times
Question Can you ellaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
It depends on the type of geography you want. Dover and Exeter are in the "Seacoast" area, which I wouldn't say is quintessential New Hampshire, though those are very nice towns (Dover being about twice the size of Exeter.) Rural towns outside of the Seacoast area are probably more "quintessential New Hampshire." There's Gilmanton... or if you want a "real downtown," there is Peterborough, in the western part of the state. Look at Francestown... definitely don't overlook Portsmouth, which is probably my favorite location in NH... but again while it is classically New England, I don't think it can be said to be quintessential New Hampshire. It is a small coastal city right next to Maine and if anything would be more "quintessential coastal Maine" than even "quintessential coastal New Hampshire."
Hi Cowbell76, can you elaborate on the differences especially when it comes to the coastal living? I'm just curious as to what exactly are the differences since the two states are next to each other. I'm thinking they NH and ME are more similar than they are different? I've heard a lot about the differences between MA and NH but so far nothing much about NH and ME. Thanks!

Old 09-26-2013, 08:57 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,399,043 times
Quote:
Thank you to everyone for all of your input and encouragement...I know NH is the best place for us.

Also, thanks for the all the tips and tricks about New England winters (and the link to LL Bean! Always wanted to shop here!). Will definitely be stocking up on supplies and getting some snow tires (we don't even sell those down here).

Anyway, wanted to chime in on what happens to Texans in snow....

It IS like a King of the Hill episode except most of the time, it's:
1. Not even snow...it just gross nastiness
2. It shuts down the entire city/area/region...work stops, school stops, grocery stores and restaurants close...its like a state of emergency

So to say I am interested in this whole snow driving is an understatement. Personally, I can't wait to learn and not be told to be afraid of the snow and cold anymore. This is truly exciting.

Thanks!!!

You seem like a nice person so about all that "quaint, quintessential" stuff........... please bear in mind that you'll be living in another state, not a Norman Rockwell painting. As a native New Englander I appreciate the culture and history here as much as anyone but it just makes me wince when I here someone who's gearing up to move here start in with the "oh it's going to be so quaint," talk. I've lived here all my life and I can honestly tell you that there is nothing quaint about two feet of snow on the ground in April. Nor is there anything quaint about Hampton Beach. The commute from southern NH down 93 into Boston................ anything but quaint.

I lived in Exeter for a year. It's a nice town but the houses there are so old. Old homes are not my thing.

Dover? As a UNH alumnus all I will ever see Dover as is a place where UNH students sleep and party. Pass.

Two towns that I really like are Chester and Kingston. They are very nice..........though you may call them quaint.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Seasons View Post
Hi Cowbell76, can you elaborate on the differences especially when it comes to the coastal living? I'm just curious as to what exactly are the differences since the two states are next to each other. I'm thinking they NH and ME are more similar than they are different? I've heard a lot about the differences between MA and NH but so far nothing much about NH and ME. Thanks!

There's much less industry and decent paying jobs in ME than NH. MA is the king of that by far. The coast/ocean is a way of life for many in Maine given that they have such a large coastline. NH's coastline is very small. The coast in NH is where you go for a nice day trip. ME is more liberal but it's not in your face liberal like MA or the god forsaken place known as Vermont. Both northern Maine and northern NH have a lot to offer for the outdoor enthusiast. Maine is a much much larger state though. You can't tell from looking at a map but as far as northeast states go Maine is big. Main is actually bigger than S. Carolina and only slightly smaller than Indiana.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:03 AM

128 posts, read 293,466 times
Smile Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
There's much less industry and decent paying jobs in ME than NH. MA is the king of that by far. The coast/ocean is a way of life for many in Maine given that they have such a large coastline. NH's coastline is very small. The coast in NH is where you go for a nice day trip. ME is more liberal but it's not in your face liberal like MA or the god forsaken place known as Vermont. Both northern Maine and northern NH have a lot to offer for the outdoor enthusiast. Maine is a much much larger state though. You can't tell from looking at a map but as far as northeast states go Maine is big. Main is actually bigger than S. Carolina and only slightly smaller than Indiana.
Thanks for elaborating on the differences.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:17 AM

238 posts, read 315,427 times
Quote:
... So to say I am interested in this whole snow driving is an understatement. Personally, I can't wait to learn and not be told to be afraid of the snow and cold anymore. This is truly exciting. ...
Some morning, after it's snowed a few inches it might be worth finding a good sized, empty, unplowed parking lot (no cars, as few light posts as possible). Then you and your husband can take turns trying to accelerate, brake, and corner at various speeds to get an idea of what it's like handle a car in snow (and how to handle skidding).

It takes a while to internalize just how much further back from a stop sign/stop light/sharp turn you need to start slowing down. If you wait too long to start slowing down you're toast. Anti-lock brakes, snow tires, and four-wheel drive help a lot but they can only do so much.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:02 AM

323 posts, read 346,474 times
Thank you all so much! What a great idea Mysticeti - its going to be like being in Driver's Ed again, but that's ok...better to be safe than sorry.

Also, a small apology to everyone about the "quaint, charming, quintessential New England" comment. I totally got ahead of myself there. When you're leaving a state that is a constant state of drought or flooding, New England sounds like a Thomas Kincaide portrait. BUT upon reality check, I know it's going to be tough and I'm gonna get tired of snow (probably similar to how I get tired of the heat here - seriously, it's 97 and muggy today...It's almost October!), but I believe this change is an adventure. Comments like "quaint" or "darling" or "little Texas town" annoy me too. Of course, for some odd reason people seem to think we all live on ranches and we all have hitchin' posts outside our front doors and offices (you know, because we all ride horses to work...duh!) haha. Anyway, apologize for going all Pollyanna-on-steroids on y'all.

Thanks again for all the advice. Can't wait to get up there and explore. We will be in corporate housing while we sell our home down here so that gives us time to look around and decide what town is good for us. Will definitely look into Chester, Kingston, and all the other lovely places ya'll suggested. On a more touristy note, I've already been told we need to go to Applecrest Orchards bc it's a NH tradition.That sounds like fun!

In the meantime, I have got to find some winter clothes. Texas winter clothes are probably more like y'alls early fall clothes (light sweaters). Just another great reason to go shopping. hehe :-)

Old 09-27-2013, 01:14 PM

Yes apple picking and pumpkin picking can be fun, especially with kids. I would reccomend trying to find an orchard that's less crowded or to go duing the week. I went to Applecreat last wekeend. What a miserable experience. There were dogs everywhere barking at each other. (lawsuit waiting to happen when one of the dogs bites someone if you ask me) Way too many people. Lines for cider donuts were like an hour long. They charged me five dollars for a pony ride for my two year old son and then rudely refused to refund the money after he sat on the pony for literally two seconds, freaked out and got no ride. No thanks!

Have you ever had lobster before? Some people love it some hate it but one of the things I'd reccomend doing when you get out here for good is exploring southern coastal Maine as well as your new home NH and get a lobster roll. If you're coming out to visit in the next two to three weeks you'll be coming during peak foliage season. Aumtumn in New england is truly something special.

In any event good luck with your visit. let us know how you like it.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:29 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,550,572 times
Don't worry too much about loading up with winter clothes. Just have a pair of warm boots by mid December and nice warm jacket and hat and of course gloves. You can always layer.

As far as lobster, IMO this isn't the greatest time of the year for it. I prefer the hard shell wich seem to be more available in May and June. But that is just my preference. The soft shell seem to have a quite different taste and consistency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire