Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 11:56 AM

45 posts, read 109,922 times

Advertisements

My family is considering a move to NH. We live in San Diego. While I'm super excited to be closer to family (Boston area), 10 years in Southern California in an urban apartment makes me a little nervous to be in the "country" as well as snow. Having been an east coaster before, I know we'll enjoy it once we adjust, but I'm thinking a townhome might be an easier transition, rather than the shock of moving into a house with shoveling, yard maintenance, etc. We're not lazy, but busy with work and want to spend the weekends making up for lost time with family!

Can you recommend any areas that have decent townhome communities? We're looking in either the Merrimack/Bedford area or Portsmouth? We have a 1 year old daughter, so a location that is safe (not on a busy street) is a must.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 12:33 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,891 times
There are many townhome places in Merrimack/Bedford that seem really nice. I am not sure about the Portsmouth area.

I think the biggest thing is to come here with a job, since that seems to be the challenge for anyone moving anywhere right now.

Good luck with your move! :-)

Old 10-30-2013, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,295 times
Absolutely - if you end up with something in/near Merrimack, look at the Birches for a townhome. It's in the woods, but there's only one gentleman than rents a couple of those townhomes. There's several options though in Merrimack and all are good.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:01 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Are you looking for a townhouse condo that has some neighborhood amenities (like a rec. center, pool, etc.) or is a bare-bones condo-only? That will make a big difference in terms of your monthly condo fee, as this can range between $200 to $400 (or more). There are some nice condo communities in both Bedford and Merrimack, so you really can't go wrong with either. Both towns have great recreational programs-something important as your now1-yr old gets older, if one of those is where you're planning to stay.

Natural gas is by far the most economical heating fuel in this area, so definitely put that in your list-some are forced hot water with oil as the fuel-those won't have central air as an option. Lots to thing about here River Glen in Bedford is very nice, has clubhouse with community pool and heated with natural gas and central AC. Blanchard Pointe in Merrimack is also natural gas and forced air (central AC is on a case-by-case basis). Hope this helps!

Old 11-02-2013, 07:40 AM

45 posts, read 109,922 times
This is excellent information. Thank you all. Never thought about natural gas :-)

Old 11-02-2013, 08:48 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Regarding natural gas: it's not widely available in New Hampshire. And it ticks me off to no end to see "Natural Gas" as the heat fuel source on MLS listings, when I know for a fact that it's actually LP (Liquid Propane). There is a BIG difference in price, and this is where knowing the specifics of a particular neighborhood come in very handy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmd413 View Post
This is excellent information. Thank you all. Never thought about natural gas :-)

Old 11-02-2013, 11:12 AM

276 posts, read 448,461 times
My wife and I are looking into the London Court apartments in Merrimack right off Daniel Webster Highway. A lot nicer and more affordable than we are used to here in Metro DC.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I recommend Rolling Meadows Condominium in Londonderry for natural beauty and reasonable prices and condo fee. The place includes a carport (open covered parking space) that is a real asset when it has just dropped 6 in of partly cloudy on your car. PM me ( a longtime resident of rolling meadows) for more information.

Last edited by vter; 11-05-2013 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: realtor recommendation via DM please

Old 11-09-2013, 08:01 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,334 times
spinnaker point in Portsmouth is nice and there natural gas heated and for cooking to and there condo fee was 375.00 a month and that included everything inside and out for things like if the roof needed to be fixed ect ect. the people that live there as well are nice and they don't go crying to the office staff if they have a problem with there neighbors they will confront the neighbors first and try to resolve the issue. bylaws are simple keep your area clean no rabbit ears outside ect ect no loud music after 10 I think

Old 02-11-2014, 08:34 PM

45 posts, read 162,458 times
I agree with concerned citizen. The Birches is a great community and yes it does have natural gas (not propane) and AC. I used to live there and served on the board for a while so feel free to PM me with any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire