Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 11:20 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,664 times

Advertisements

I regularly drive through the Hooksett toll and don't have a problem with it. I admit that the first time one goes through, it can be a little confusing... you have to pay attention early on to know where to go. But if you end up in the EZ Pass lane with no EZ Pass... no big deal. Keep going.

EZ Pass isn't universal but I just took a drive out to Chicago, passing through 6 states in addition to NH, and all took EZ Pass, even if their state branded the technology differently (such as I-Pass for Illinois.) This was extremely convenient.

The only thing I don't really like is the flashing light when the picture is taken. It's a split second but in the dark it feels like a strobe light and I don't like it.

Pity the poor people in some other states which have gates in their EZ Pass lanes. On more than one occasion on my road trip, I encountered backed up lines of cars because the front car was in the No-Cash lane, without a transponder, and the gate wouldn't go up. Those lanes do have signs which say "don't back up," and with all the traffic behind, there'd be no way to back up. Yet there didn't seem to be anyone around to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 12:27 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperblack View Post
What happens if you drive through without paying?
The last I knew for sure was July 4th north bound in a pay a human booth, where i stopped to discover there was NO HUMAN. I tried to pay at the next toll booth on the Spaulding Tpk. No go.....

The guy said EZ Pass would bill me. When the bill came it had a picture of my car, the tag was easy to see, as were the brake lights being ON. it was obvious i was stopped. I wrote a few comments and sent the correct amount for the toll not the fine which was the toll fee and 26 bucks.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:09 AM

238 posts, read 315,326 times
Ouch. $26 seems a little harsh for such a minor infraction. Given how everything is computerized these days it really shouldn't be that hard to set the system up such that first time offenders pay, say, half that amount.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeti View Post
Ouch. $26 seems a little harsh for such a minor infraction. Given how everything is computerized these days it really shouldn't be that hard to set the system up such that first time offenders pay, say, half that amount.
I don't set the fee. This is what we get for a NJ based EZ pass. These tolls should have been banned totally.

I recall when in Ct you could take back roads faster than you could I-95 for the tolls each 50 yards. These tolls are killers and waste heavy fuel resources. Read back and you will see how I know. I refuse to buy a EZ pass. I go to pay a human when i ride these toll roads. i want a witness if I get rear ended. I even still have Old Man of the Mts toll tokens..

Old 12-24-2013, 08:51 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Default Sell those Old Man of the Mts toll tokens on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
These tolls are killers and waste heavy fuel resources. Read back and you will see how I know. I refuse to buy a EZ pass. I go to pay a human when i ride these toll roads. i want a witness if I get rear ended.
And that's why all EZ Pass states are converting to "open road tolling". No more stopping (if you have a transponder), no more wasted fuel, no more getting rear ended.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:38 AM

571 posts, read 1,318,438 times
Yes, I have a bunch of old NH highway tokens left over too! Maybe worth money now as scrap brass. Somehow these missed the redemption period. I don't think they ever allowed a cash in program though.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:19 AM

611 posts, read 1,205,028 times
I refuse to get an EZ Pass either. Call me paranoid, but it feels too "big brother" to me. Not to mention the fact that it gets my dander up to pay a toll on a federal highway for which I pay federal taxes. I messed up once in NJ and didn't see where to pull off for the cash lanes. Their solution was to bill me for the entire length of the turnpike when I went to get off, since I didn't have a ticket to show where I got on. Really these tolls are just one more annoyance that keeps me from wanting to visit the area. We are only about 45 minutes from Manchester but rarely go. Even though it's only $1, it acts as a deterrent to us. Maybe because it is a reminder of all of our dreaded trips to Long Island to pick up my husband's mother getting nailed for $7.50 tolls each way to cross the bridges.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:05 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady fern View Post
I refuse to get an EZ Pass either. Call me paranoid, but it feels too "big brother" to me.
You are correct, Big Brother does read EZ Pass places other than toll booths.

If you drive a toll road, then big brother has your information with or without the RFID, as they photograph your license plate at every toll booth. It's pretty much the only place in New Hampshire where automatic license plate readers are legally used.

You could always get an EZPass and keep it in the mylar bag or some other tinfoilry so it can't be read, just take it out when you are planning to use a toll road?

Quote:
Really these tolls are just one more annoyance that keeps me from wanting to visit the area. We are only about 45 minutes from Manchester but rarely go.
I go to/from/through Manchester by routes which bypass the tolls, when feasible.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,940 times
I just got trapped on the wrong side of the concrete barriers at the infamous Hookset toll booth. What a scam! I was behind a truck and I could not see well enough ahead to see that I had to actually exit the roadway to pay the toll. The signage was impossible to discern. There is nothing to tell the cash folks where to go. Talk about entrapment! I'm from the southwest part of the country, and I had never seen any nonsense like this before. I had my money out ready to pay, but by the time I figured out where to go I was on the wrong side of the quarter mile of concrete barriers. I'll gladly pay the toll, but I'm not paying any extra fee. I definitely will not be back, so don't get your hopes up on that. If the letter is too nasty, then I probably won't even pay the toll. Bench warrants ... who cares. Wreck my credit ... I doubt it. A picture of my number plates really does not show intention. Let's see the camera shots of my approach to the toll booth area to see how deceptive and dishonest this set up really is. I believe any judge out our way would agree, but they really do have better things to do with their time then play silly games like this. Way to go New Hampshire - "Love It of Leave It." As for me, I'm long gone. Adios.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:59 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rim505 View Post
I just got trapped on the wrong side of the concrete barriers at the infamous Hookset toll booth. What a scam! I was behind a truck and I could not see well enough ahead to see that I had to actually exit the roadway to pay the toll. The signage was impossible to discern. There is nothing to tell the cash folks where to go. Talk about entrapment! I'm from the southwest part of the country, and I had never seen any nonsense like this before. I had my money out ready to pay, but by the time I figured out where to go I was on the wrong side of the quarter mile of concrete barriers. I'll gladly pay the toll, but I'm not paying any extra fee. I definitely will not be back, so don't get your hopes up on that. If the letter is too nasty, then I probably won't even pay the toll. Bench warrants ... who cares. Wreck my credit ... I doubt it. A picture of my number plates really does not show intention. Let's see the camera shots of my approach to the toll booth area to see how deceptive and dishonest this set up really is. I believe any judge out our way would agree, but they really do have better things to do with their time then play silly games like this. Way to go New Hampshire - "Love It of Leave It." As for me, I'm long gone. Adios.
I did the same thing my first time through. I have yet to receive a ticket in the mail. Maybe I am just lucky. Did the same thing in NJ once and ended up having to pay for the entire stretch of highway tolled rather than from where I got on. I've never lived in a part of the country where I was remotely close to any tolls so I get really irritated just thinking about them. I get that we have to pay for the roads somehow, but it seems anytime a fee goes in to pay for a project it never goes away - even when the project has been paid for many times over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire