Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:21 PM

835 posts, read 2,877,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Just tell him
"i've had some offers but not in the amount i'm looking to sell for and i'll leave it at that."

That way your not telling him out right it's none of his business the number of offers and the amount of each offer and your basically putting an end to his questioning that it's really none of his business. He should get the hint.
Ok, thank you. I said what you told me to say in so many words. We'll see if he gets the message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 05:41 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinalkulp View Post
Ok, thank you. I said what you told me to say in so many words. We'll see if he gets the message.
Let's hope he does anyways. If he keeps bugging you, i'd just say...

"I need to know if you want to make an offer or not because somebody else behind you is willing to make an offer and i'm waiting on your response first".

It's all in the way you choose your words. It's not a lie because obviously somebody is going to come along after him and make an offer. Yeah it may not be tomorrow or next week but hey, somebody will be along with one eventually right?

Old 11-27-2007, 06:05 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,961 times
Quote:
So this guy is being persistent. I had emailed him back and told him we have reduced our home since they had come out to see it in Sept and reduced it 20k since putting it up for sale. I said we would welcome their offer. I heard back, and once again he is asking how many offers we've had and what they were. I don't want to respond in such a way to scare him off, but I also do not want to divulge private information. Any suggestions?
At least he sounds keen. You should do what you can to get him to make an offer. Even if it is too low you can counter. I'm sure you heard this a thousand times though: with the market as it is, sellers need to be prepared to accept low offers. The market is going to drop for another 6-12+ months - longer if we get into an official recession.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:36 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
It's a psychological game. Once he makes an offer, he has stepped over the line and becomes a prospective buyer. He's "in the game" and subconsicously he already feels that the house is his...it's within reach, so to say...and if he really wants it, he's now in the negotiating stage. It's only a slight shift, but it's to your advantage to get him into that state of mind. One has to be really hard-nosed to be willing to walk away; I don't think most people find that easy to do.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:42 AM

Well he made an offer, which literally made me laugh. Our home is priced competatively for the market and what similar homes are going for in our area. His offer was 89,900 below our asking price. Now what? I want to say, "are you kidding?," but unfortunately I know he's not.

Would it be unreasonable to email back and say something like this, "With all due repsect, when you're ready to make a serious offer we would be glad to try work something out."

Last edited by Strongasabear; 11-28-2007 at 06:03 AM..

Old 11-28-2007, 05:47 AM

141 posts, read 228,135 times
I don't see what is rude about it.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:41 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
I've started so many posts on this thread, and then delete them. It's killing me to sit and watch this play out, unfortunately I can't say anything without putting my license at stake

Does the company who put your house on MLS offer guidance in negotiations?

I hope this is allowed:
This is a current thread on the Real Estate area of the forum, reminded me of this situation:
//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...r-lowball.html

Last edited by Valerie C; 11-28-2007 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: added the CD link to Real Estate thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:17 AM

Val, "Does the company who put your house on MLS offer guidance in negotiations?" This buyer is not someone who came thru an agent so I doubt the MLS company would help in negotiations.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:28 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,829 times
Quote:
Well he made an offer, which literally made me laugh. Our home is priced competatively for the market and what similar homes are going for in our area. His offer was 89,900 below our asking price. Now what? I want to say, "are you kidding?," but unfortunately I know he's not.

Would it be unreasonable to email back and say something like this, "With all due repsect, when you're ready to make a serious offer we would be glad to try work something out."
wow that is a low offer. he knows your asking price right?

A simple "I can't even consider that offer" will simply do i think especially if he knows what your asking. He can do his research if he really wants to get nosey about the prices around you.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:16 AM

51 posts, read 171,019 times
I say if you have room to negotiate down then go down a little (not the floor of what you will accept). Show him that you would like to work with him but also show him that you are not naive and that his offer is way off. This way he may come back a little closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire