Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 03:44 AM

70 posts, read 178,440 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! We are Americans living in Germany returning to the States next year. Our two children (ages 3 and 5) attend a Waldorf kindergarten here and we wish to continue this in NH. For this reason, we are looking closely at Keene and Wilton since both towns have Waldorf schools.

If we choose the school in Wilton, would it make sense to live there or in nearby Peterborough which seems to have a livelier town center (a fun town center is definitely important to us)? And, in the event that we don't like the Waldorf school in Wilton, how do the public schools rate in both Peterborough and Wilton?

I am also curious about Keene. It seems to be a nice size town with many things to do, and also very good public schools.

I should add two points here:

My husband will work between home, Jaffrey, and Billerica, Ma (though not very often in Billerica; about once a month).

My kids are now confident speaking German, so we'd like to continue the German language somehow. Upon researching the schools, I've found that the Waldorf school in Wilton offers German language classes, but the school in Keene does not. So, if we choose to live in Keene, does anyone know if there are any bilingual programs for kids there, or close by? I've looked online but can't seem to find anything. Finding German programs will not be a deal-breaker nor outweigh living in a great town with a great school overall, but it would certainly be a bonus.

Looking forward to hearing what you all recommend! Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 08:36 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,575,874 times
In order of decreasing size and "sophistication" these are Keene, Peterborough and Wilton. Keene is a modest, for New Hampshire, city with all sorts of amenities and commensurate tax rate. Peterborough is a "old sophisticate/yuppie" town with many cultural and commercial amenities. Wilton is a small old industrial town hanging on by the skin of its teeth. (Note - Wilton center, just up hill from Wilton on the back roads is a classic upper level New Hampshire village with a classic church and really huge houses.) All are decent places to live.

I suggest you discuss the language classes with the Keene schools. If they will provide classes in German and it is important to you I suggest you arrange to rent a home for a year or so and, with this time, investigate this part of the state. The same would apply to the other towns as well. In any case visit before you decide where to live.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:03 AM

Thank you for the insight, GregW! This really helps me picture the towns better. I didn't realize that Wilton has two distinct parts, either. Also, the idea to rent is a good suggestion and we will look into that. Incidentally, which of these towns is your favorite?

Old 02-28-2014, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,184 times
I live in Wilton, close to the Pine Hill school. City-Data and Wikipedia stats focus only on the census-designated place, the town center, which also happens to be the poor, drab section of town. The town center is surrounded by hilly residential farmland. Lots of horse properties. The area near the school is like this, with a nice crunchy cafe (Hilltop Cafe) in an old farmhouse attached to a coop farm and farm store nearby. We go there often.
Peterborough fits the bill for 'charming town center'. Alot of quaint classic new england town offerings there. We go there often too.
Keene is a (state) college town. It's got Home Depots and national chain strip mall box stores and restaurants and such.
In that respect, Peterborough is the most isolated from those types of amenities (as Wilton is close to the 101A strip in Milford/Amherst/Nashua that has everything), but it's got the artist/crunchy shops and worthwhile independent restaurants.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:47 PM

3,672 posts, read 7,369,599 times
Coming from Germany, will be working in Jaffrey with occasional visits to Billerica. That spells Millipore to me. I would assume you will get the benefit of a relocation consultant.

Keene would be my choice, only because it's the largest of these communities and offers the most amenities. Many people who work in Jaffrey actually choose to live in a MA border town like Pepperell or east in Brookline, NH, because the public schools are better and you are closer to the services of the Greater Nashua area.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:19 AM

10,026 posts, read 17,947,510 times
I have lived in the Keene area for 12 years now -- I like this area a lot. Many of my colleagues (we work in Keene) live in Peterborough, but I like really short commutes, especially in the winter!

Keene schools are very good, from what I understand, but property taxes are quite high. I would not want to live close to Keene State (too many students), but once you get a mile or two away, you don't really have problems with them. As for German, they do have classes in that at KSC -- you might be able to hire one of their professors to do some tutoring with your kids.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:34 PM

176 posts, read 297,458 times
Your children will be much happier in Keene. I grew up in Wilton, it's a bit of a time-warp, and very rural, not much to do but drink, smoke pot and swim in the reservoir. My experience too was that the Waldorf schools there were a joke, I knew one kid in Boy Scouts who still had considerable difficulty reading short paragraphs at 13, and there were frequent stories of the Pine Hill students getting into all sorts of drug-fueled shenanigans. Wilton is lovely, and I'd love to move back, but not with children.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:50 PM

Thank you for your advice, everyone! We hope to come in April to tour some schools and neighborhoods, mainly in Peterborough. I think Wilton is out based on what everyone is saying. I think we might be bored there! LOL From what we're reading, we are very much interested in The Well School in Peterborough. And yes, my husband currently works for Merck and will possibly be taking a position at Millipore, though it's not for sure yet.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfheim View Post
Your children will be much happier in Keene. I grew up in Wilton, it's a bit of a time-warp, and very rural, not much to do but drink, smoke pot and swim in the reservoir. My experience too was that the Waldorf schools there were a joke, I knew one kid in Boy Scouts who still had considerable difficulty reading short paragraphs at 13, and there were frequent stories of the Pine Hill students getting into all sorts of drug-fueled shenanigans. Wilton is lovely, and I'd love to move back, but not with children.
Alfheim, do you think a potential commute between Keene and Jaffrey is reasonable?

Old 03-04-2014, 01:57 PM

176 posts, read 297,458 times
As long as there's no sort of weather emergency that blocks the roads like there was with the flooding ten(?) or so years ago, it should be fine. It's a shorter commute than many in Southern NH make, and there are some lovely back roads that make driving a pleasure, and often only add minutes to your drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire