Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 04:42 AM

8 posts, read 17,233 times

Advertisements

Done with NY and apartments and public transportation, and considering moving to house-and-car life in New Hampshire. We have family in Boston so after some research, South Nashua sounds ideal, particularly the Bicentennial Elementary school district due to is ratings.

My husband works from home and I stay at home with our 3-year old and 6-month old, though I hope to go back to work soon. On our wishlist: Good schools, safety, likelihood of increasing real estate value, diversity, progressive, near shopping/restaurants/parks/things to do with families. We like to eat out, love ethnic food especially Asian (we are Asian) but realize it won't be like NY (tho at least Boston is nearby.)

Being from NYC, hubby wants to be able to walk to things to do, see activity...although of course we realize we’ll have to drive (a huge transition for us!). He's afraid Nashua will be too isolated, few people, etc. Please tell me pros and cons given the above! I personally am dying to move out of crowded fast NYC, but want to compromise with hubby and have convenient things to do with the kids. We are very down to earth and not the type to keep up with the Joneses, so prefer neighborhoods that aren’t snooty, yet school's the top priority. Budget really depends, not more than, say, 500K sale or 2K/mo rental, but if we could satisfy our wish list for half that, even better!

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 06:36 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,753 times
Is there a reason you're considering NH over MA/Boston? Seems like Boston, or the outlying areas would accommodate more of your requirements, while being closer to family.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:09 AM

8 posts, read 17,233 times
Love Boston, but NH is cheaper than MA... and 45 min drive is close enough Hubby is just afraid of the unfamiliar, so am trying to enlighten him and paint a picture of life in a much smaller city.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:34 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,459 times
I think Nashua and the Bicentennial district is perfect for you. You already know the elementary school is highly regarded. It's one of the priciest areas in Nashua but you'll find a very nice family home for under $500k.

Your husband need not worry. South Nashua is very convenient to everyday shopping, parks, etc. It is not isolated. There is plenty going on right in Nashua and is still close to Boston, Lowell, Portsmouth for bigger city stuff.

You don't mention outdoor activities but those are equally convenient in Nashua. If nothing else, your children will benefit from having exposure to both urban life and it's amenities, and nature and the outdoors. IMO, this is the best of both worlds. My children equally enjoy playing in an urban park in downtown Boston and riding the subway as much as they enjoy hiking, camping, and playing in the ocean.

There are some good Asian restaurants and grocery stores in and around Nashua.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I suggest you also check out South Hudson just east of the Merrimack River from Nashua. Both areas range from single story city to suburban. I also suggest taking a week or so to visit and look around.

FWIW - This area, considering housing costs and property taxes is not all that less expensive than the tonier suburbs of Boston but is way less expensive than anywhere decent in NYC.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:55 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,432 times
I don't want to be a naysayer, but sometimes I think the "rah rah New Hampshire" attitude of some posters can do a disservice to people who need accurate information about the area. ANYWHERE in New Hampshire will be a dramatic change for you. I can't say that any place in this state will be "perfect" for you. You need to look carefully or else your husband will be completely miserable... it's a fact that some people will not like living in New Hampshire. I would really suggest looking at Boston suburbs, maybe North Shore - you can definitely find something in your budget. Nashua is "not isolated" by NH standards, but it's really lacking the energy of urban areas you'll find in other states. Consider long-term happiness, not just the short-term novelty of car-and-house convenience.

Just a comment, though, about an above post and Nashua's proximity to "bigger city stuff"... everyone always talks like Portsmouth is a "big city" in New Hampshire. Nashua's population is actually roughly three times the size of Portsmouth. The big difference is that Portsmouth actually has a small hip area which is unlike anything else in NH.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:59 AM

571 posts, read 1,318,293 times
I volunteer at the front desk of the Nashua YMCA ( They discount your membership a lot if you volunteer) and frequently give tours to interested parties. Last night I gave a facility tour to a woman whose family moved to Nashua about three months ago from Manhattan. She said she and her husband love the area.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:08 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
I volunteer at the front desk of the Nashua YMCA ( They discount your membership a lot if you volunteer) and frequently give tours to interested parties. Last night I gave a facility tour to a woman whose family moved to Nashua about three months ago from Manhattan. She said she and her husband love the area.
That doesn't mean it's right for everyone, by any stretch of the imagination. People shouldn't be telling her, "it'll be perfect for you!" People should present true pros and cons. They will lose A LOT of culture, convenience, and an intangible "energy." Some people won't mind, but it sounds like her husband may be being dragged into this.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:41 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Default Nashua NH is nothing at all like New York, NY.

New Hampshire is not the place to look for "diversity,progressive" values. But it is safe, and you won't find yourself discriminated against for your race, but rather for being newcomers from NYC :

I agree with the other posters who say your husband might be unhappy with the change of pace.

Yes, there is "asian" food (restaurants and grocery), but you won't find much of the sort of single-cuisine traditional restaurants that NYC has (see the sushi thread from last month), I travel to Massachusetts if I want authentic Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese dishes.

There are parts of Nashua that are isolated and with few people, but both Nashua and Manchester have walkable "urban" districts. Locals perceive these areas as being unsafe and crowded; you might want to compare actual statistics with New York rather than listening to opinions.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:53 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,459 times
Based on the wishlist posted by the OP: Good schools, safety, likelihood of increasing real estate value, diversity, progressive, near shopping/restaurants/parks/things to do with families.

I think Nashua and the Bicentennial district *MAY* BE
perfect for you.

Happy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire