Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 11:08 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,107,157 times

Advertisements

there is no cure for stupid

These kids are not asking for a free education. They are not asking you or anyone to pay for their education. They are long time NH residents that want to pay the state rate to attend school. The alternative is no school. $450K coming into the coffers is a lot better than $0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 11:37 AM

9,927 posts, read 15,500,454 times
They won't be paying anywhere near full tuition, it will be subsidized. What kind of income do you think their parents are going to claim?

Old 01-25-2014, 01:44 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,360,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
But the American kid who lives in Fitchburg LEGALLY and wants to go to Keene State has to pay non-resident tuition?

Makes perfect sense if you're a progressive.

Rewarding people for breaking the law is wrong, I don't care how you think it benefits "us".
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
Because they are in this country ILLEGALLY just like their parents. Again we are rewarding people for breaking the law. I don't know why that concept is so hard for you to grasp. My family came to the United States Legally. If I lived in MA and wanted to go to Keene State I would have to pay $17,000 instead of $10,000 that the ILLEGAL person gets to pay according to your logic.

Why bother having laws if you're going to pick and choose which ones you like and don't like?
Considering that most of the folks here are New Englanders I'm surprised no one has yet pointed out that Keene State, like many New England institutions of higher education, offers out-of-state New Englanders a reduced rate.

State Aid Programs · Financial Aid · Keene State College

See also Overview : New England Board of Higher Education

Seriously if cost is an issue then kids are not going to want to go out of state unless they are looking for a major they can't get nearer to home.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
They won't be paying anywhere near full tuition, it will be subsidized. What kind of income do you think their parents are going to claim?

So where are the complaints about kids getting Pell grants? 16% of the students attending UNH are getting subsidized tuition. Those are the kids YOU are paying for. Illegal aliens don't qualify for that or any other type of subsidized tuition.

So you are paying for 2,400 students to go UNH, but none of that money goes to the 15 kids that want to become legal residents.

Last edited by buck naked; 01-25-2014 at 02:27 PM..

Old 01-25-2014, 06:01 PM

196 posts, read 274,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
there is no cure for stupid

These kids are not asking for a free education. They are not asking you or anyone to pay for their education. They are long time NH residents that want to pay the state rate to attend school. The alternative is no school. $450K coming into the coffers is a lot better than $0.
I would have to agree on the whole "no cure for stupid" sentiment

Anyone who thinks that it's oh so innocent - just let the kids go to school, it's not a big deal is well.........I don't want to say anything that will get me kicked out of here.

THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO BE HERE!!!!! They are suppose to be in whatever country their parents came from. They are suppose to be getting their education, their medical services, their housing THERE. Everyday day those "kids" are here they are making a CHOICE to not respect our laws. Not respect this country.

Yep, no big deal at all. Let's educate them, why not....G-d knows we do plenty of other stupid things in this country

Old 01-25-2014, 06:36 PM

But they are here and they are not leaving. It's not a felony crime to be here, it's a civil offense with the penalty of deportation. NH does not deport students. Some of you may remember when years ago a hitchhiking group of illegal immigrants were turned in to authorities. They were not arrested OR deported.

Our immigration system desperately needs reform. To add further insult to these people who are chasing their own version of the American Dream, the Immigration Policy Center reports that immigrants are being mistreated while in US custody. “Overall, we find that the physical and verbal mistreatment of migrants is not a random, sporadic occurrence but, rather, a systematic practice. One indication of this is that 11% of deportees report some form of physical abuseand 23% report verbal mistreatment while in U.S. custody”.

one third of all immigrants taken into US custody had their belonging taken from them and not returned. Among deportees who were carrying Mexican identification cards, 1 out of every 4 had their card taken and not returned. The taking of possessions, particularly identity documents, can have serious consequences and is an expression of how dysfunctional the deportation system is.

http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/sit...ns%20FINAL.pdf

Old 01-25-2014, 07:10 PM

15,798 posts, read 21,311,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedme View Post
I would have to agree on the whole "no cure for stupid" sentiment

Anyone who thinks that it's oh so innocent - just let the kids go to school, it's not a big deal is well.........I don't want to say anything that will get me kicked out of here.

THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO BE HERE!!!!! They are suppose to be in whatever country their parents came from. They are suppose to be getting their education, their medical services, their housing THERE. Everyday day those "kids" are here they are making a CHOICE to not respect our laws. Not respect this country.

Yep, no big deal at all. Let's educate them, why not....G-d knows we do plenty of other stupid things in this country
Do you want to be judged and punished based on the misdeeds of your parents? I sure am glad my parents' behavior and poor decisions are not held against me!

I'd rather encourage intelligent, hardworking young people who are here illegally through no fault of their own - often with little contact to their home country - to make something of themselves and positively benefit our country and economy than leave them with few options and a bleak future (which, in turn, negatively impacts the rest of us since they're not leaving). Idle, uneducated people is a recipe for disaster and not a situation I particularly feel comfortable with.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:37 PM

196 posts, read 274,905 times
Buck, I actually do agree with your post 86 that the system needs to change. But don't you think anytime we agree to provide yet another benefit to anyone who is here illegally we are encouraging them to do it again and again.

Some people argue that deporting illegals is too expensive. I don't know....

Old 01-25-2014, 07:40 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,529,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Do you want to be judged and punished based on the misdeeds of your parents? I sure am glad my parents' behavior and poor decisions are not held against me!

I'd rather encourage intelligent, hardworking young people who are here illegally through no fault of their own - often with little contact to their home country - to make something of themselves and positively benefit our country and economy than leave them with few options and a bleak future (which, in turn, negatively impacts the rest of us since they're not leaving). Idle, uneducated people is a recipe for disaster and not a situation I particularly feel comfortable with.

Problem is that myth has not been borne out in fact. Fact is all illegal immigration has done is further drain our resources without adding anything of benefit. We have a country where we want things changed for the better for our own citizens.. let them change theirs. Legal immigrants are always welcomed.. They are not being judged by their parents, but rather their own character..to continue in the hand out mode shows them to be exactly like their parents..gimme I'm an illegal who DESERVES entitlements.. we have enough of our own bums.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:46 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,529,318 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire