Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 09:21 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,853,327 times

Advertisements

A co-worker is going to move to NH with his family. He knows that he wants to be in a general area (Bedford/Amherst/Hollis) but wants to rent for a year while he has a house built. The problem is that he has to decide now on a town as his kids are grade school age and he does not want to move them from one school system to another after the new house is built.

Is there a site that lets one search for properties in a given town and limits the results to just new construction? I tried nneren.com but there does not appear to be a "new only" choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 09:59 AM

830 posts, read 1,539,241 times
I might be misunderstanding the question. It sounded like he wants to build a house, meaning the house doesn't exist yet and he would be searching for land. Are you instead referring to spec houses which are partially completed already, or existing subdivisions selling empty lots?

The only thing I know of is NNEREN and using the "detailed search" which allows you to enter a few more parameters than you can in the sidebar. And either search option allows you to enter keywords... you might be able to narrow down that way.

EDIT: I did a test search for Bedford, checking the "land" box to narrow it down to land, and it does come up with lots in existing subdivisions.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:19 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Lightbulb landwatch.com

I agree, sounds like he is looking for vacant buildable lots with electricity, water, and a successful perc test? Usually means an existing subdivision, but not already built "new construction" homes.

Along with NNEREN, I've also used landwatch.com

Old 01-29-2014, 01:14 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,996,269 times
It looks like his "friend" is pushing the envelope at tad much.

Sounds like the "friend" wants to rent a house for a year and then purchase a vacant lot to construct a new home - and that the kids will stay in the same school district after the new land/home is purchased/built.

Or is the "friend" seeking a rental home and purchasing an additional land/lot at the same time?

Not clear if "friend" is seeking land/lot with natural gas, sewer, town water or wishes rural septic/well?

Maybe the "friend" can join the forum and clear up the details.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:35 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,950,928 times
I usually recommend nneren.com over any other search site because it's our local real estate database, and it's very up to date. HOWEVER, the public side of the database provides a very limited search function, and even by using "New Construction" or "Pre Construction" as keywords, most new construction (or pre-cons truction) simply doesn't show up in the results. As a member of the New Homes Team at my office, this is concerning to me--it means people can't find our new home subdivisions! It's easy to find pre- and new-construction from my end, statewide. It's the consumer that can't search effectively Thanks for posting your friend's issue, hopefully we can get the 'powers that be' to do something about that.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:14 PM

830 posts, read 1,539,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I usually recommend nneren.com over any other search site because it's our local real estate database, and it's very up to date. HOWEVER, the public side of the database provides a very limited search function, and even by using "New Construction" or "Pre Construction" as keywords, most new construction (or pre-cons truction) simply doesn't show up in the results. As a member of the New Homes Team at my office, this is concerning to me--it means people can't find our new home subdivisions! It's easy to find pre- and new-construction from my end, statewide. It's the consumer that can't search effectively Thanks for posting your friend's issue, hopefully we can get the 'powers that be' to do something about that.
Good points - I've always known that the public side isn't quite the same as the side realtors can use, but wasn't sure what, specifically, might be missing.

Most towns around here don't have TONS of properties for sale. It's not like searching in a big city or major suburb. While it's not the most efficient way to search, the coworker can just search NNEREN for properties in a specific town, limiting the properties to land and residential. As I mentioned lots in existing subdivisions (as well as other types of housing lots) will show up in the "land" category. "To be built" houses show up in regular residential property searches.

I just performed this search for Bedford, which is a pretty large residential town (much bigger than Amherst or Hollis) and got 136 properties. This is not a particularly large number of properties to scan through in the NNEREN interface. You can easily skip over those which aren't the right type of lot, or resale homes. The very newest listing is a "To Be Constructed" property. Again, not the optimal way of searching, but not particularly difficult given NH's relatively small number of properties for sale.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:41 PM

123 posts, read 247,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

Sounds like the "friend" wants to rent a house for a year and then purchase a vacant lot to construct a new home - and that the kids will stay in the same school district after the new land/home is purchased/built.

Or is the "friend" seeking a rental home and purchasing an additional land/lot at the same time?

Not clear if "friend" is seeking land/lot with natural gas, sewer, town water or wishes rural septic/well?

now that's some "friendly" advice!

Old 01-29-2014, 11:09 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,853,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

If you are insinuating that I am the person in question, you are wrong. I've lived in Amherst for over 15 years. Escaped from MA long ago... I'll check ways to search in NNEREN.com. It could be an available lot in a subdivision or a single lot by itself. I'll ask Tim...

Old 01-30-2014, 08:45 AM

5,302 posts, read 6,185,664 times
There are literally thousands of homes for sale or currently foreclosed in NH and waiting to be put on the market and the prices are reasonable.

However, if you want to build your own home on a lot, I might suggest a modular home. Dale's Homes of White River Junction, Vermont is the VT-NH dealer for Ritz-Craft homes of Mifflinburg, PA. Ritz Craft has an amazing selection of designs and the whole process could be completed in 2 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire