Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 01:39 PM

7 posts, read 9,008 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a new poster but I've been using this site for a long time getting some reviews on different places I have been. Currently my Husband and I live in Arizona but I am originally from MA just about 10 minutes south of the NH border. I am pretty familiar with some areas in NH, I am SNHU alumni, but never lived there myself. My Husband and I have been trying really hard to get back up there so we can settle down and start our family. Finally he landed a great job in Belmont, NH and we are moving there in the beginning of March. We will be living temporarily with family while we pay off some small debts and are looking at homes. I don't know much about Belmont, only that it is near Laconia which I have been to quite a few times, and I have been told Belmont is a small town. I would love some input on some great areas around there. Here is some of our info:

-We are in our mid 20's (which I guess doesn't really matter as we do not do much of the "night life" activities anyways)
-Our budget will most likely be up to $350k for a home
-We are looking for at least an acre of land (we are so tired of living on top of our neighbors with our .18 acres currently!)
-We would like to be within a 45 minute drive from his work (I prefer up to 45 min south as it will be closer to family that way) but open to south, east or west, however do not prefer to go any further north.
-Good School district is important for future children.

Let me know if I can provide anymore information that would be helpful
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 02:31 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
You should be able to find a very nice home in Belmont on at LEAST an acre for a lot less than $300K.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:49 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish21 View Post

-We are in our mid 20's (which I guess doesn't really matter as we do not do much of the "night life" activities anyways)
-Our budget will most likely be up to $350k for a home
-We are looking for at least an acre of land (we are so tired of living on top of our neighbors with our .18 acres currently!)
-We would like to be within a 45 minute drive from his work (I prefer up to 45 min south as it will be closer to family that way) but open to south, east or west, however do not prefer to go any further north.
-Good School district is important for future children.

Let me know if I can provide anymore information that would be helpful
Thanks!
Few places in NH aren't small towns. 45 min gives you a pretty broad range of towns to look at, with the caveat that winter travel times are more unpredictable due to weather.

The Lakes Region generally isn't as strong for schools (putting it lightly - though there are a few exceptions). You're probably ultimately looking at him commuting from someone in the Concord "metro" (ha ha!), as you'll see stronger schools in Concord or perhaps moreso Bow/Hopkinton/Contoocook, though Contoocook in particular starts to be on the edge of that commuting range and they're all on the 'wrong side' of Concord relative to commuting routes to Belmont.

Even in the 'big city' of Concord you can find acreage - particularly in the Mountain Rd/Hoit Rd area (which also happens to be in the best location for a commute to Belmont). 179 Hoit Road, Concord NH - Trulia (2.0 acres) That place is about 20 min to the center of Belmont even doing the speed limit.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:30 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Meredith or Moultonboro are your best choices. I am not a fan of Belmont overall, although it does have cheap real estate.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:47 PM

73 posts, read 119,082 times
GILFORD. Gilford is paradise: Lake Winnipesaukee, Gunstock ski resort, close to Mount Major, public beaches and docks, low taxes, great schools, beautiful country, panoramic mountain views, outstanding local restaurants and attractions (because it's basically a resort town), nice real estate that's reasonably priced once you're a minute or so away from the lake. It's like being on vacation all year round. The only downside is that there aren't many people in their 20s, but you're not impossibly far away from Concord and the seacoast region. It has a downtown that's really pretty and technically walkable, although it's not the same quasi-urban town center that one considers when one hears "walkable downtown" - most of the action is north of "downtown" Gilford towards the lake. But you should definitely check it out. I've never met someone from Gilford who didn't say it's the greatest place to live. It's between 10 and 20 minutes away from Belmont, making it the closest town that meets your description.

Gilmanton - one town away from Belmont - is another nice option if extremely rural living is your bag. The high school (not sure about middle school) students go to Gilford High, which is a huge selling point. There are beautiful ponds and lakes and some of the loveliest country in NH.

Also, Concord isn't very far (30 minutes by car). Concord is where I live - it's a city of about 40000 with a lot of good social options for younger people (ages 21-married/kids; boring as hell when you're a teenager, but no more than anywhere else north of Boston). It has a laid-back, hometown-y vibe; lots of old hippies and artsy types in addition to a friendly, urbane but totally unpretentious professional community. Concord has a reputation for bleeding heart liberal politics, which most locals take as a badge of honor (don't buy a house until you see what the taxes are, though). Excellent shopping, restaurants, bars, coffeeshops, community organizations (especially artistic ones) and other services if you know where to find them. The schools are excellent and most of the neighborhoods are very desirable.

Meredith has been mentioned, and I second the recommendation. Also check out Wolfeboro, which is about 45 minutes from Belmont (downtown Meredith - on the easternmost extreme - is more like 30, but the 1+acre lots are away from the lake on the western side or on the landlocked Meredith Neck roads, which would make your commute more like 40 minutes). Both Meredith and Wolfeboro are ritzy lakeside resort towns with proper "walkable downtowns" (sidewalks, restaurants, nice shopping, etc - plus they're right on the lake). Like any of the Winnipesaukee towns listed here, there's a lot of reasonably priced real estate once you're away from the lake (to which the public has many access points), and the taxes are very low... by NH standards.

A nice house on 1+acre for under $350K is doable in all of these communities. But be mindful that NH property taxes are very high and assessors can be arbitrary, so check the tax liability before making an offer. That said, you can find a nice if not extravagant house on 1+acre for under $250K in any of these communities if you look hard enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire