Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:51 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times

Advertisements

You've gotta do what you've gotta do, and snowblowing is one of those necessities. Happily, it has stopped snowing here in Londonderry, so we are heading outside to take care of this latest 'gift' from above...

The last snowstorm we had during the week was last Thursday, and some folks cleaned up the night before-others waited till early the next morning. I can't imagine anyone being upset because you are snowblowing early in the morning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 06:03 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,513 times
I love the sound of a good snoblower When we lived in the city, I would get out early to snow blow and inevitably, all the neighbors would emerge one by one. It's like to someone had to be the first to make it ok. It sounds like you're a considerate neighbor. I'm sure your neighbors understand.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:40 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
If you're worried about annoying your neighbor, why not go and tell them that's what you'll be doing. Most likely they'll welcome your advance warning.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 PM

196 posts, read 276,062 times
I'll be honest with you - I am coming off 5 yrs of very sleepless nights due to kids. So while *I* wouldn't be too annoyed now- if something like this happened a few years ago when my infant's sleeping was a hot commodity and if you woke him up - yep, I would be pissed. Not really at you, but at the whole "OMG, someone woke him up" and I have to put him back to sleep AGAIN.

So.....if there are no babies around you, I say - snow blow away Any adult living in New England should grasp the fact that things like that happen and it's not the end of the world.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:19 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,031 times
When I have to be at work at 5am, I'm out there at 4. None of my neighbors have complained yet.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:45 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
If you live in a place that has snow you make some concessions. Out in the country it's homeowners dealing with the white stuff themselves so they can get somewhere and not be trapped in their homes. In town you hear plows or the sanders / salters out bright and early doing their job making the roads safe to travel. It's a fact of life here.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Buy a used Subaru and put four good snow tires on it. Then just drive to work and leave the driveway clearing to the wife or the snowplow guy.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:56 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
We have had snowstorms here about every 3 days and occasionally every 2 days. My next door neighbor is out at 5:30 with is snowblower and his driveway is about 6 to 8 feet from the edge of my house and the bedroom is on that side of the house. It is very annoying. His work time is 9 am and it's about 4 miles away. Some people just don't give a damn.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:44 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,075 times
I had an electric snowblower/plug-in type that worked super for all of the snow we had in the NEK (Vermont). And I had a long driveway and an outdoor outlet. It was super quiet, light and hurled the snow, even wet snow, quite clear of the drive.
That said if I understood what you were doing so early and why you had to do it I might not be P.O.ed but still if I had a rough day at work and tough night and needed the sleep I might be a little annoyed if it was a constant thing.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:36 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Thanks for all the replies! The funny thing is, yesterday's storm basically missed us, despite the 5-8" of snow predicted -- I woke up around 3 a.m. today and thought to myself, "Hmmm, I didn't hear the city plows." I was sleeping in a back bedroom and thought maybe THAT was why, but when I stepped outside I saw that we had gotten less than an inch of snow -- so no city snow plows to wake us all up AND no having to worry about me annoying the neighbors!

To S&AMom: it takes me usually 30-45 minutes to do my whole driveway (3-car garage, driveway is maybe 50'-60' long at the most), and I would never do it at 3 a.m., even though I often like to be at work by 4:30 or 5 a.m.!!

To MJ5150: no way would I be out there just having fun and being loud at an early hour -- that would be SO inconsiderate!

To CrazyDave: yes, we all make noise, but some of it is, well, necessary (like plowing if you just HAVE to get to work). I am not tolerant of noises like people blasting their stereos outside etc. -- that kind of noise is neither necessary nor considerate. (This is why I love living in my neighborhood -- we are all somewhat of a distance from each other, AND we're all considerate. )

To CSD610: normally if the snow ends during the day or early evening, I absolutely will do the plowing then -- but unfortunately yesterday it looked like the snow would continue overnight, so there was absolutely nothing I could do except plow it the next morning. As NHDave pointed out, sometimes you just can't plow it before going to bed because the snow is still falling!

To Antinimby, well, I guess I could have gone and knocked on my neighbors' doors to say "By the way I'll be snow-blowing tomorrow," but I think they would realize that a lot of us would be doing that.

To GregW: no wife or "snowplow guy" here -- well, I guess I am "the snowplay guy" or rather woman! My SO lives in Florida most of the time so he doesn't have to deal with snow. I have a car with front-wheel drive and good tires -- my problem isn't really the driveway itself, but the END of the driveway where the city plows pile up about 2' of hard-packed snow and ice ... even a Suburu could not get through that!

To Newdaawn: yeah, I'd probably be annoyed too, but maybe he has to be somewhere before 9 a.m.? (e.g. taking kids to school)

To Dauntless Dan: well, it's not "constant," this morning would have been my first time snow-blowing early in the a.m., but I really have no control over when it snows.

And finally, to SoupNazi, ValerieC, Harpoonalt, blessedme, Rizzo0904, FrugalYankee: I was thinking pretty much the same as how you all were thinking ... thanks!

=======

Another irony: I myself actually don't mind the sound of snow-blowers (or leaf-blowers or lawn mowers or even snow plows) at all -- I would MUCH rather hear them than, say, some neighbor's blasting music. (This is why I don't live in an apartment any more!!) And the final irony to share in this post: I finished teaching just before 2 p.m. today and shortly thereafter went out to my car to find it COVERED in snow with lots of snow still coming down -- looks like we are getting the snow NOW that we were supposed to get yesterday! Lucky for me, Thursday is a work-at-home day for me, so I will wait until LATE tomorrow morning to plow my driveway.

I THINK I responded to everyone! I enjoyed reading your remarks -- reps to all that I can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire