Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 07:55 AM

8 posts, read 16,115 times

Advertisements

Hello,
my husband and I bought a house in Farmington, n.h and found out that My husband could not get this VA tax discount because he did not serve in war time !! is this right he served our country too just not in war time ..what other benefits is he not intitle too....I feel this is wrong all veteran's are the same and the state should fix this..angry in Farmington

Last edited by carol31; 03-20-2014 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 09:30 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
That's correct. This benefit is restricted to "war time" veterans, but it's only a $50 (or possibly $100) real estate tax credit. See NH State Office of Veterans Services.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:49 PM

I know its just wrong to be wartime veteran's only..my husband has served his country too..what a slap in the face to hear this. just wrong!

Old 03-20-2014, 04:54 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol31 View Post
I know its just wrong to be wartime veteran's only..my husband has served his country too..what a slap in the face to hear this. just wrong!
Wasn't your husband compensated enough for being in the military?

Why not just be happy that your husband was never deployed? And he gets other VA benefits. Anyway the discount isn't that much.

I really don't consider this situation a "slap in the face" to your husband.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:51 PM
miu

BTW I am very grateful to those who enlist in the military... just as I am extremely appreciative of those who are firefighters, police officers, EMTs and everyone in the medical professions. Those professions serve our country, our society. And they don't get any discounts on their property taxes. And military who serve during war times face much more dangers, stresses than military personnel who are lucky enough to serve during peaceful times. So I don't think that you should be complaining. And no, I would not vote to change the rules.

If you don't like the VA benefits in NH, then move to another state.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:59 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,728 times
I think Barrington (where I'm moving) gives a $450 property tax credit to veterans. My in-laws in Somersworth (Vietnam vet) gets about that same amount. I'll have to call the assessors office tomorrow and find out if the $450 is for wartime vet or normal vet. I did time in Iraq so I'll qualify either way.

Also, not everyone who serves in wartime deploys to a war zone. I work with a bunch of nuclear weapons maintainers now that never leave the Northern Tier of the US.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:44 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Also, not everyone who serves in wartime deploys to a war zone. I work with a bunch of nuclear weapons maintainers now that never leave the Northern Tier of the US.
But wartime is a time of stress and heightened vigilance for military staff. Fortunately, the majority of the time, the US is in peacetime mode. And being in the military comes with decent benefits and opportunities to learn valuable skills on the job, plus paid for higher education. I've met some ex-military who appreciate that enlisting was their only chance to get out of a small town and do something special with their lives because they were only average academically and their families poor. Being in the military also has more job security than most jobs.

So what did the OP's husband sacrifice by being in the military over a career in the private sector? Was he not compensated enough financially while in the military? Won't he still have the benefits of access to a VA hospital? Otherwise, there are other public service careers which require personal sacrifices and with physical risks.

I get that the OP is a proud military wife, but she should have some proper perspective of the big picture and be more appreciative of others (non-military) who contribute greatly to the US way of life and also valuable members to US society.

I'm really tired of the entitlement attitude from so many these days... everyone wants discounts or something for nothing, but the tax money pie is only so big. If the NH rule got changed, then I would be resentful if veterans were flocking to my state or town causing the rest of us to pay more on our already high property tax bills. Although, I'd prefer veterans over welfare/Section 8 types, but still NH is a small mostly rural state and we can't afford to support many who are "in need".

BTW if an ex-military person ended up doing well financially later in life (through savings, investments or using their military gained skills), I would hope that they would forgo some of their military perks like breaks on their real estate taxes.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Wasn't your husband compensated enough for being in the military?

Why not just be happy that your husband was never deployed? And he gets other VA benefits. Anyway the discount isn't that much.

I really don't consider this situation a "slap in the face" to your husband.

your first question is no he has not gotten any compensation from the military...he gets no benefits from the VA and yes my husband does consider it a slap in the face...he served his country and we know that the tax credit is not much its principle of the whole thing,to serve in peace time or war ..we just wanted other veteran's to know this about n.h ...

Old 03-23-2014, 02:45 PM
miu

Well then, leave NH. Being in the military during peacetime makes it just a job, not some extraordinary sacrifice with threats to his life or limb.

Otherwise, it's not as if NH is rolling in money and can afford to give out discounts willy-nilly.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:41 PM

24 posts, read 21,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol31 View Post

I think your husband deserves a discount. He was ready to serve if necessary he just didn't have to. Thank you for his service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire