Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 01:33 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,367,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
If I ever get to the point where I'm making more than $2400/year in interest and dividends, I don't think I'll complain too much about paying tax on the excess.
How about if you make more than $75,000 as a freelancer on 1099-misc basis or have a sole propietorship or LLC as opposed to having $75,000 reported on a W-2? You can be doing the exact same work, you pay the Feds for social security and medicare at a rate of about 15 % when you file with the IRS, plus you pay your health insurance out of pocket since you don't get employee benefits. But NH requires a return in the first case but not in the second. Smells like an income tax to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 02:12 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,427,339 times
They didn't include Alaska under lowest property taxes either. Most of Alaska by area has no property taxes. Very poorly done report.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:29 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,838,511 times
Wow. I moved from MA to NH in 1995. The taxes situation is a stark contrast. Everyone talks about the "high" NH property taxes... The rate is high but the valuations are lower. Move my house to a similar town in MA and the valuation would be much higher, the tax rate lower, but the actual dollars paid about the same... Meanwhile, no state income tax, no capital gains tax, no sales tax... car insurance is much lower.... yeah, I'll move back to MA when hell freezes over...

Old 03-28-2014, 10:02 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,544,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
How about if you make more than $75,000 as a freelancer on 1099-misc basis or have a sole propietorship or LLC as opposed to having $75,000 reported on a W-2? You can be doing the exact same work, you pay the Feds for social security and medicare at a rate of about 15 % when you file with the IRS, plus you pay your health insurance out of pocket since you don't get employee benefits. But NH requires a return in the first case but not in the second. Smells like an income tax to me.
You are quite correct. When I recently considered moving back to NH I was shocked to learn that my overall tax burden would be slightly higher there than where I was living in CA. As an S-Corp owner, NH does not recognize the pass-through nature of an S-Corp and would tax my business income. It's one of the only, if not the only state to do so.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:50 PM

6,546 posts, read 6,703,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
You are quite correct. When I recently considered moving back to NH I was shocked to learn that my overall tax burden would be slightly higher there than where I was living in CA. As an S-Corp owner, NH does not recognize the pass-through nature of an S-Corp and would tax my business income. It's one of the only, if not the only state to do so.
There are at least 5 other states that tax S-corps. Not that I'm in favor of such a tax....I'm not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire