Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:37 PM

304 posts, read 393,168 times

Advertisements

Hi Group,

I just saw the show "Marijuana In America" on CNBC", where the topic was the Full/Recreational Legalization in Colorado and Washington states.
They mentioned New Hampshire (and Rhode Island) as probably the next states to follow.

Do you think New Hampshire will truly ever do this?

I started basically the same thread for Maine and Colorado.

My Wife & I are considering moving out of Connecticut, seeking more personal freedom's, in regards to Cannabis.

I've contemplated moving to Colorado, but the more I hear about it, I'm not so sure...
-Someone out there told me that it is a 'semi-arid' state, with water restrictions.
I'm a 'dedicated wood-burner' and couldn't live without my wood stove, and cutting wood!
They have wood burning restrictions (???) And no new fireplaces or wood stoves are permitted in some areas(???).
Also, I've always considered myself a 'New England Country Boy', and Love our New England.

I guess I'm a 'Connecticut Yankee, in King Arthur's Court', you might say!

I feel just like the original Pilgrim's, who left England in 1690, to escape religious & political persecution.
We have 'Political persecution' today/now, in regards to marijuana!
I feel like a 'Cannabis Refugee', as you can't Grow it in CT, and don't get caught with anything more than 1/4 oz.
We are both in our early 60's, and I've been enjoying Weed since 1969.
- I've never used anything else, and will n-e-v-e-r take Oxicodone etc, as I've seen too many friends get hooked/screwd up with them.
I'm a hard working, responsible Adult, who doesn't drink, but does enjoy a smoke, usually in the evening.
I run a small firewood business, and am outside each & everyday 'playing in the woods/with my woodpile, and my Wife is retired.
We've vacationed in Gilford, on gorgeous Lake Winnipesaukee, and up in the White MTS.
I have hiked Mt Washington (and check out their website everyday), also hiked up Lake Sunapee. (Never did see Steven Tyler's house on the Lake however).
I visited New England College, in Henniker, where four of my friend attended, and hang-glided off Pat's Peak.

I just LOVE New Hampshire, and would like to move there!

LIVE FREE OR DIE!
AMEN!

So, what's the general consensus on this topic?

Thanks to all who contribute!

CTwoodnutt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 12:30 AM

73 posts, read 118,510 times
Short answer: Maybe, depending on what happens in Colorado.

NH is a rock-solid bastion of personal liberties. On the other hand, it's a family-oriented place, and concerned parents tend to make a lot of noise whenever issues like this come up. Enforcing the current drug laws needlessly drains taxpayer resources according to many if not most NHers. On the other hand, enforcing all the regulations that might come with cannabis legalization (if NH is anything like CO) might drain taxpayer resources even more. Arguably the best argument in favor of legalization is that revenue from cannabis sales often funds gangs and other violent syndicates that actually do things that victimize people; legalizing cannabis takes a lucrative monopoly over a popular commodity away from these organizations. On the other hand, if these organizations don't sell cannabis, they might sell harder, more dangerous substances. NH already has a meth problem and nobody wants that to get any bigger. And nobody wants gangs or violent crime up here.

So I think that NH will lean in favor of legalization, provided that CO's effort goes well. In other words, if it doesn't impact local children and school cultures in ways that alarm parents of schoolchildren, if enforcing new regulations doesn't exceed the cost of enforcing anti-cannabis criminal laws, if legalization curtails organized crime and doesn't result in the growth of harder, more dangerous substances, NH voters will likely support it if they don't already. Of course, the way our government is in NH, the legislators won't just legalize cannabis; they'll probably tax the hell out of it and grant a limited number of campaign sponsors (or clients of their firms) a monopoly over the legalized sale of an excruciatingly small supply of legal herb, and these sponsor/client buddies will do everything to make their businesses attractive only to the slimiest of Massachusetts scum. Also, the legislators will likely approach any consideration of regulating cannabis sales in the most tone deaf if not straight-up corrupt manner possible. As is always the case, smokers might just be better off buying 10+acres in a town with 2 or 3 police officers. Even though I'm skeptical about our legislators, I'm not skeptical about our population. NH is easily one of the best prospects for legalization in the near future, depending - again - on how successful Colorado's efforts are.

Personally, I support legalization. In a perfect world where I'm in charge of everything, it would be decriminalized throughout the state and legalized in one or two fairly remote, economically struggling old mill towns with walkable but currently boarded-up downtowns. The state would work with these towns in order to turn them into tasteful pot tourism hotspots: a slice of Amsterdam in New Hampshire, with more of an outdoorsy, crunchie-granola vibe. Small businesses (earthy restaurants, reggae dancehall lounges, hemp clothing stores, a store that only sells geodes) would open up and thrive; artists and writers would purchase cheap houses/condos; nearby ski resorts would benefit from the influx of early 20s tourists. Someone will make a fortune starting a retirement home for old hippies. In a fair, non-dictatorial world, however, it should probably just be legalized throughout the state.

Last edited by Oldmanlookatmylife; 04-05-2014 at 12:35 AM.. Reason: Apparently the most popular word in NH - an apt descriptor for much of MA's population - is prohibited. Who knew?

Old 04-05-2014, 02:39 AM

176 posts, read 297,178 times
Why should they? There is not much infrastructure to legally grow it, so it's essentially funding the destruction of Mexico and Brazil.
The argument to legalize is almost never met by an equally passionate argument to provide in-country supplies, that being a sort of afterthought to the whole thing. Meanwhile, people are raped, tortured, and beheaded over the little bag of green you buy from your dealer. It sounds DARE-ish and old-fashioned, but if you do a wee bit of digging, you can see some very graphic and disturbing evidence of what America's thoughtless hedonism is doing.
Now, if they set up farms for it, fine, go whole hog. But it seldom seems to be a focus. Yes, the drug itself is as harmless, less so, maybe, as alcohol, but the impact supply-side is much different.
Add to that the very vocal lunatic fringe inside the Free Staters, and you might also be looking at a push to legalize heroin and all other drugs, making a bad situation in NH even worse; look in the papers, every third crime seems to be desperate drug addicts stealing to fund their next fix.
Will they? Maybe, if not now, certainly in the near future. Should they? Depends on whether they can decriminalize production as well.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:01 AM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,013,892 times
NH still doesn't allow the growing of hemp. So far, last year the legislation passed that growing hemp would be legal as soon as our neighboring states allow it.

I don't see the complete legalization of it anytime soon. Personally, I'm fine with the possession of small amounts being fine, but not over a 1/4 of an ounce. And no smoking of it for under 21. Sorry, but too many kids are not being properly parented as it is, and in rural areas they get bored easily. Alcohol and weed are not for kids while their brains are still developing.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:37 AM

4,558 posts, read 5,608,592 times
Lightbulb Potheads canmove to Massachusetts, get a hardship cultivation registration

Personally, I'd prefer to see decriminalization, that is, repeal of state laws, taking it entirely out of the criminal code and live control over trafficking to the Feds. But I think decrim is unlikely -- given a few years, the legislators will see tax revenue slipping by, even Maggie Hassan will recognize the benefits of legalization and taxation.

New Hampshire profited by $132.6 million from state sales of booze last year, so Maggie has no moral high ground on intoxicants.

Quote:
I feel like a 'Cannabis Refugee', as you can't Grow it in CT, and don't get caught with anything more than 1/4 oz. We are both in our early 60's, and I've been enjoying Weed since 1969. ... I just LOVE New Hampshire, and would like to move there!
You could move to Massachusetts. Much as I hate to recommend MA to anybody, the laws are different there -- where possession of under an ounce of marijuana is punishable by a civil fine of $100, and the state is further along with the MM implementation.

New Hampshire is slowly moving towards implementation of last year's MM law (HB573), will open 2 dispensaries. So there will be a legal path to possession, if you're willing to jump through the hoops. Combine this with the explicit recognition of jury nullification (2012's HB146) and the general MYOB business in New Hampshire, and the risk of incarceration for personal production and use is minimal.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:24 AM
miu

After a little more thought, I'd prefer NH never completely decriminalize marijuana, or at least be among the first states to do so. I think that too many people would try to move to NH because of that, and I'd like NH to stay rural in character.

I also shudder to think of what Laconia's Bike Week become if pot were to become completely legal in NH. 375,000 bikers openly high on weed is not something I'd like to have to endure.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:15 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,527,543 times
not as long as the liquor industry owns the politicians

Old 04-05-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfheim View Post
Why should they? There is not much infrastructure to legally grow it, so it's essentially funding the destruction of Mexico and Brazil.
The argument to legalize is almost never met by an equally passionate argument to provide in-country supplies, that being a sort of afterthought to the whole thing. Meanwhile, people are raped, tortured, and beheaded over the little bag of green you buy from your dealer. It sounds DARE-ish and old-fashioned, but if you do a wee bit of digging, you can see some very graphic and disturbing evidence of what America's thoughtless hedonism is doing.
Now, if they set up farms for it, fine, go whole hog. But it seldom seems to be a focus. Yes, the drug itself is as harmless, less so, maybe, as alcohol, but the impact supply-side is much different.
Add to that the very vocal lunatic fringe inside the Free Staters, and you might also be looking at a push to legalize heroin and all other drugs, making a bad situation in NH even worse; look in the papers, every third crime seems to be desperate drug addicts stealing to fund their next fix.
Will they? Maybe, if not now, certainly in the near future. Should they? Depends on whether they can decriminalize production as well.

Americas thoughtless hedonism or the governments shacking up with the alcohol industry? Maine grows weed rather abundantly.. even here in NH there are some large scale farming..California, The Black Hills.. yeah ..do a little digging

Old 04-05-2014, 05:24 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
not as long as the liquor industry owns the politicians
Well what does it really matter? Everyone I know in MA and NH who enjoys weed has no problem at all indulging in their enjoyment of it. Why waste the time and effort to deal with legislating the legalizing of it? Why encourage more people to smoke pot? At least the way it is, it's not openly being used and I'm happy not to have to smell it out in public. Pot smoking is not universally for everyone. And I think that our highways are safer for pot not being illegal, especially since there are no easy tests like a breathalyzer for evaluating how much THC is in a person's system.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:16 AM

Well what does it really matter? Everyone I know in MA and NH who enjoys weed has no problem at all indulging in their enjoyment of it. Why waste the time and effort to deal with legislating the legalizing of it? Why encourage more people to smoke pot? At least the way it is, it's not openly being used and I'm happy not to have to smell it out in public. Pot smoking is not universally for everyone. And I think that our highways are safer for pot not being illegal, especially since there are no easy tests like a breathalyzer for evaluating how much THC is in a person's system.

Yeah what does it matter that the state is in bed with an industry that is one of the major contributors to highway deaths, carnage , rape, child abuse etc..all the while denying the right to use a substance that is clearly less dangerous based on keeping the first industry profitable?

The main reason for keeping pot illegal is there is no profit to be garnered in the social industries if it is legalized.. most of alcohol related problems make money for the government..most pot related issues only make money for the food industry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire