Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:44 PM

80 posts, read 276,008 times

Advertisements

Fishnfool -

Can I just say I am a little grossed out about your tick situation Better yet "That's HELLA gross!". Glad I am happy to be one of those people who "would never attempt" to walk through wherever it is that you got them..... You said the bugs aren't worse than the midwest?! I've only lived in Colorado and at 10,000 feet we didn't get much in the way of bugs.... so I am not sure what that means exactly.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance again but what are Greenheads?

for the record, we do say wicked here in So cal - not sure if it means the same thing or not.....
but I probably say HELLA more what do you say instead of Hella? That is funny.....
as far as Pop - I moved to Cali from Oregon when I was a kid and all the kids thought I was saying "POT" when I talked about soda - I luckily don't drink it now so I am off the hook, but Californians refer to it as Soda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 08:04 PM

259 posts, read 988,089 times
I suggest you check out Pawtuckaway State Park. Its only a few miles from Barrington + offers some great day-hiking. Even rock clinbing ifyou're into that;hiking ,map;Pawtuckaway State Park & Campground - Nottingham, NH
all state parks;New Hampshire State Parks - Welcome!

Note: its not necessary to pay a day-use fee. the best hiking, mountain biking are accessed from the back side of the park anyway (boat launch). As is summertime swimming, fishing.
Barrington makes the white mountains a fairly short ride too.

Your kids will be grown up + in college before they run out of things to do!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:40 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
twinmum, you are allowed to be grossed out about ticks. They are wicked, rotten nasty disease-carrying little critters, and they are (I like your expression for them) "HELLA gross!" (Never heard that one before) Besides being gross, they do carry disease (yes, even the dog ticks) and not just Lyme Disease. Unfortunately I've had to become educated about ticks and Lyme Disease, since somebody in my immediate family has it, and has been dealing with lingering symptoms & antibiotics for a number of years.

We have distinct buggy seasons here in NH. March and April we see the most ticks (do a tick check after every time outside, goes double for your kids!) May is black fly season. We have a saying "Black Flies bite AND suck!" Mosquitoes come out from July through September, but mostly the hour before sunrise, and 1 hour before through 2 hours after sunset. And the greenheads are found at the beaches, especially the areas with salt marshes. They bite, hard, and will leave you bloody. Luckily they're only out for a couple of weeks, usually mid-July till first week of August. Skin So Soft (Avon) will help keep them away. SSS isn't sold as a bug repellant, but it does work for many people. That's the end of my buggy post

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmum View Post
Fishnfool -

Can I just say I am a little grossed out about your tick situation Better yet "That's HELLA gross!". Glad I am happy to be one of those people who "would never attempt" to walk through wherever it is that you got them..... You said the bugs aren't worse than the midwest?! I've only lived in Colorado and at 10,000 feet we didn't get much in the way of bugs.... so I am not sure what that means exactly.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance again but what are Greenheads?

for the record, we do say wicked here in So cal - not sure if it means the same thing or not.....
but I probably say HELLA more what do you say instead of Hella? That is funny.....
as far as Pop - I moved to Cali from Oregon when I was a kid and all the kids thought I was saying "POT" when I talked about soda - I luckily don't drink it now so I am off the hook, but Californians refer to it as Soda.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:35 AM

108 posts, read 341,327 times
Here in TX along the coast mosquitoes are a problem - humid and warm. But cities spray something along the streets, and we barely ever see a mosquito in our back yard, much less inside. I get to deal with them only where I walk my dog - in a grassy area along the ditch.

Do they spray neighborhoods in NH?

Old 03-12-2008, 10:59 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
they do spray in NH - but not all neighborhoods - just the towns where puddles will test positive for EEE (eastern equine encephalitis) carried by mosquitoes - they warn the citizens a couple days before going out to spray

we've had a couple of cases here in the past where people have died after contracting the disease

- NH natives know not to go out at sunset when the mosquitoes are the worst - after 10PM, it's usually cooler and they are not as bad if you have to be outdoors

I also check my animals year round for ticks...for I've had the cat bring them in during the dead of winter when one would ASSUME they are dormant.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:40 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,450,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remember-voltaire View Post
one thing about NH and the people is that it's not like the typical orange county ca,you won't see all the designer clothes, the top name brands

not as many show off what they have or want people to look at them in NH, it's more of a reserved stand offish conservative slower paced life than compared to so cal.

so if that's what you want then NH could be the place for you.
I'll agree overall, but in our very conservative burb in SoCal, found neighbors to be colder and more reserved than here in NH! This is an isolated experience, though If you're not into it, it's a relief to not be surrounded by the tasteless "look at me! look at my stuff!" attitude. NH life just doesn't seem as material, people have different priorities.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:19 PM

248 posts, read 805,107 times
Hello everyone! I too am relocating from the West coast, but BACK to the East coast! Reading all of everyone's responses - green eyed flies on the beaches, ticks, humidity, 4 distinct seasons, high taxes, but worth it for the schools...really makes me feel at home again! ) I agree though, it is hard being this far away from where you will be relocating to and doing research for your family. Everyone in this thread has been so helpful!! THANK YOU!!

Twinmum, I wish you luck in your move! )

Old 03-13-2008, 02:23 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
I'll agree overall, but in our very conservative burb in SoCal, found neighbors to be colder and more reserved than here in NH! This is an isolated experience, though If you're not into it, it's a relief to not be surrounded by the tasteless "look at me! look at my stuff!" attitude. NH life just doesn't seem as material, people have different priorities.
You mean people really dont want to look at me and all my stuff?? Haha. I so agree with you on that Lisa. You know how snobby the people are out here. I just say to myself, thank god I dont have to live with them. If they are this repulsive in public, just imagine what they are like to live with

Old 03-14-2008, 02:20 PM

21 posts, read 91,088 times
Talking Moving to New Hampshire

This is my first post, I am moving to NH in May. I drive a Hyundia Accent, it provides excellent gas mileage however, I need to know if you think I will be safe driving this in New Hampshire.

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2008, 12:37 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlynn3 View Post
This is my first post, I am moving to NH in May. I drive a Hyundia Accent, it provides excellent gas mileage however, I need to know if you think I will be safe driving this in New Hampshire.

Thanks!

Welcome to the NH thread Tlynn. I moved your post from the Valentines Day thread to this one. You will get more responses this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire