Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 11:41 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times

Advertisements

eldragon, these photos are truly stunning, especially the last one. I've shot in this location before, but never ended up with such a beautiful product. Looks like you were there at the perfect time of day - lighting is always the challenge at that spot!

For those who are curious, the last photo is from a popular overlook (unmarked - just a dirt parking lot) off of the Kancamagus Highway (Route 112), about 10 miles east of Lincoln and 2 miles west of Kancamagus Pass. It provides a nice view of the Osceolas and Scar Ridge.

As eldragon said, it's not quite peak there yet. As usual, color depends a lot on elevation, and the highest summits have already had their leaves blown off, while the bases are still pretty green. Color is still in the low-moderate range on the southern side of the White Mountains, but north of the notches it's getting very close to peak.

Normally the peak would occur during this first week of October that is coming up, but I'm not sure how the above-average temperatures forecasted this week are going to affect that. Temperatures are looking to be anywhere from 10 to 20 degrees (or more) above average across the state at some point during the week. While the sunny days are generally good for foliage development and leaf-peeping, the summer-like overnight lows are not a good thing as they result in less vibrant colors and fewer reds (which, coupled with excess moisture in late summer/early fall, has generally caused very disappointing foliage seasons over the past three years).

That said, if you are planning a leaf-peeping weekend in the mountains, I would probably aim for next weekend rather than waiting until Columbus Day weekend. It will be less crowded this weekend, and with mild, sunny weather forecasted, you are guaranteed to see at least some good color. Columbus Day weekend is a bit later in the month this year and may be too late for peak in many parts of the mountains (although should be great in other parts of the state).

PS: I will be uploading some shots from this weekend before long. If anyone has the chance to hike Middle Sugarloaf in Twin Mountain at some point this week, don't hesitate - the views are stunning right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 12:14 PM

743 posts, read 2,265,015 times
That's it thx Verseau

Old 09-30-2013, 01:19 PM

50 posts, read 113,226 times
Yes, thank you!!

Next trip up, I'm going to try to find that spot off the Kanc. Keep the great photo's coming!!!

Old 09-30-2013, 02:42 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldragon View Post
i appreciate the info Valerie Thank you!!
You're welcome! I'm glad that you were able to put the info to good use-love the pictures that you shared I don't think that I'll have time to make it to the White Mountains for this year's fall foliage, so I really appreciate seeing the pictures that others are taking and sharing.

The final picture that you shared--the stitched image--is so beautiful, especially the texture of the trees in the mid=ground of the picture! Looks like a multi-color quilt

Old 09-30-2013, 03:34 PM

497 posts, read 952,827 times
looking south from Oak Ridge Road in Madison;
Ossippee and points south. Mt. Whittier.

An unknown 1700's Unmarked grave. Alone within a fieldstone yard, about 50 yards off an old logging road. I found it by accident.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:50 PM

743 posts, read 2,265,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
You're welcome! I'm glad that you were able to put the info to good use-love the pictures that you shared I don't think that I'll have time to make it to the White Mountains for this year's fall foliage, so I really appreciate seeing the pictures that others are taking and sharing.

The final picture that you shared--the stitched image--is so beautiful, especially the texture of the trees in the mid=ground of the picture! Looks like a multi-color quilt
No problem and thanks again.. Definitely returning to NH

Old 10-02-2013, 09:04 PM

Colors starting to come out in the Lakes Region...

The Kancamagus was also popular this weekend:

Crawford Notch was still mostly green:

North of the notch, however, the colors were out in full force:

Old 10-02-2013, 09:09 PM

Old 10-02-2013, 09:12 PM

Old 10-02-2013, 09:15 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire