Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:23 AM

17 posts, read 65,386 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone..
I am a little new here, I posted in a different thread looking for this kind of info but kind felt ignored.... so, I am going to try a fresh thread to see if it gets a little more noticed.

My hubby and I are hoping to move to Nh within a year, and are looking around Tamworth, Sandwich, in hopes that it will be close to conway and Laconia for work and shopping I guess. He is a carpenter so he has more options, but I am looking for work in the architectural field, as I am currently going to school for it. So, I guess i fig'd Laconia would be more likely to host jobs of that nature. I don't know- maybe between conway and berlin is better?

However... I have been to North Conway two or three times (and Jackson and surrounding areas) but not the tamworth/moultonborough/sandwich area. I love conway and jackson, and that whole bit so.... thinking we'd like to try it out!

We are just basically looking for ANY info that anyone can offer... We would like to try and rent in the area for a bit before we buy or build anything. I have a son who is three, so sooner than later schools will be important.

We would like to have a place to get groceries, maybe a little shopping, dinner, etc about 15-30 mins away.

We are pretty rural now, and unfortunately being held subject to suburban sprawl (if you will) and we want OUT! We are currently living in maine if that helps anyone.... ..

So I guess this is what I am asking...
given the info I have tried to provide- what are some reccommendations, how are the schools in the areas, jobs, rents? What are the towns like? Like I said- ANY info is always welcome and appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 10:10 AM

951 posts, read 1,655,407 times
Default Search.......

I used the search tab above and found this:

Tamworth

This may give you some info based on previous posts. Be patient. Not everyone has your info right away. It sometimes takes a bit to get it. There are a lot of people who read this forum so it will come!!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:14 AM

Thanks Bry, i appreciate your help! I am not angry or anything, I kinda butted in on someone elses questions so I just thought a new thread made more sense I guess! I'll go take a look...

Old 12-11-2007, 10:26 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
I think what may have happened with your first post is that everybody was so busy answering the original poster, yours got lost in the mix. Good you you in trying again, I'm sure you'll get lots of help (unfortunately not from me, as I'm not very knowledgeable on that area... but I will say that the area between Conway and Berlin is very rural and may be exactly what you're looking for.

I can provide you with some rental listings if they are on the MLS, but honestly I don't work out there at all so it would be up to you to contact the listing office. Also, I would imagine that a small local paper would be the best bet in finding rentals, and maybe craigslist as well.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:16 AM

Thanks Valerie. I have kind of been perusing craigslist and the only local paper I found online... and pretty decent results suprisingly! We won't be able to move until we finish remodeling our home to sell, but I always look! Truly I wish I could move to NH yesterday! But we are thinking srping/summer 2008

I am a little nervous that the space between Conway and Berlin might be too rural, but I have been to Jackson and am infatuated with the place, lol. Little pricey sometimes though, and NO luck with rentals there so far...

What is ossipee like? Laconia? Berlin? I mean to travel to for jobs probably, i don't want to live there really.

I guess what I am suggesting is this (and feel free to tell me if I am ludicris, hehe) I would like to be 30mins or less from North Conway shopping, and 30mins or less from 1/2way decent job opp's in the carpentry and architectural designing field...HeLp!? Maybe conway has both, I just don't know because it's a terrible time of year to job hunt in hubby's field...

I do appreciate the help so far! Keep it comin'

Last edited by Mehggs; 12-11-2007 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: smiley

Old 12-11-2007, 11:43 AM

17 posts, read 52,896 times
Tamworth is nowhere near 15-30 minutes of Laconia. Think 2 lane roads with 35mph speed limits, and a nasty commute in winter. I wouldn’t advise Tamworth if you are looking to work/shop in Laconia.

Depending on where you are in Moultonborough, it is at least 25 minutes to Laconia, most likely much more. There is one grocery store in Center Harbor (the neighboring town) but it is way overpriced. There is going to be a new Hannafords in Meredith, though, and that will be within 15 minutes of Moultonborough. The Moultonborough schools have a fantastic reputation. I have a coworker who has kids in school there and loves it. Both Moultonborough and Sandwich have lower property taxes if this matters to you.

The eastern parts of Tamworth might be more convenient to Conway, but South Tamworth, North Sandwich, and Center Sandwich aren’t really close to anything. This, of course, is part of their appeal, but not easy if you both need to work.

I’m not really sure about the job market for what you mentioned. This area is saturated with skilled tradesmen, but don’t know what the current demand is. I have seen a few architectural firms scattered about different towns in the area. Most of them are pretty small, but definitely not limited to Laconia.

I'm not really sure of the situation between Conway and Berlin. Tourism is big on 16 between Conway and Gorham. North Conway is a nice town, but also a touristy and expensive.

To get an idea for housing, definitely get your hands on the local papers. Most listings won’t be advertised online.

Best of luck!

Old 12-11-2007, 11:56 AM

gyppy- EXTREMELY HELPFUL THANKS! phew... got that out. hehe.

I am not overly concerned about being near laconia- I guess I just thought it would give us extra options if we lived between there and conway, dunno. In fact, I have never been to laconia, lol

Conway & Jackson area are my lil heart's desire- I guess I was just worried about money/work. We are young, married, one kid, trying to get it all together ya know? and did I mention- TOTALLY sick of maine...

I am not against working other jobs, I have experience in carpentry myself from working for my hubby's company for the last two years, and honestly I would work at an inn/b&b if it paid well enough, I am not too too picky.

I come up to the conway area quite a bit, so I should just grab a few papers at 7-11 next time, huh!?

And just to add- conway has all I really need as far as shopping, food etc, I am pretty much a "simpleton"... I was just concerned about employment. And I like the fact that recreational activity is ABOUND

How are the pre-school/daycare options around there- anyone know?

Again, thanks to all who have replied- I really wanted some help from locals...they have the best advice!

Old 12-11-2007, 11:56 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
I'm no expert, but I would say that Laconia provides more in the way of job opportunities than the Conway area, which seems to rely primarily on tourism-related industries... and Berlin has always seemed pretty isolated to me...

In any case, Sandwich is one of my favourite little towns in NH. Center Sandwich is full of white clapboard buildings - kind of the stereotypical New England village, but it's very charming and very quiet. The town is certainly rural, but you're close to Moultonborough, Center Harbor, and Meredith, all of which should offer you enough in the way of dining and shopping (and I don't mean sprawl - these towns are relatively small themselves). Conway is a bit farther of a drive, probably around 45 minutes, but Laconia is about 35...

Tamworth is a nice town too, plenty of ruralness and some nice scenery, with a small town center. However, I think you'd be limiting yourself to a job in the Conway area, since most other major towns would probably be over an hour commute.

So I would definitely check out the Sandwich area. I think it would give you easy access to Conway and the White Mountains, but especially to the Lakes Region and Laconia. Personally, I think I might be bored to death living between Conway and Berlin

Old 12-11-2007, 02:13 PM

17 posts, read 52,896 times
Mehggs -- No problem! Glad I could be of service. If you’re willing to do work outside your field, especially hotels, etc., you’ll have more options on where you live.

I agree that Sandwich is a beautiful town, but there’s a reason that the majority of people there are retired or independently wealthy. For a young couple it’s hard to make a living within a reasonable commuting distance, and I assumed from Mehggs’ post that both people need to work. You can't get from most parts of Sandwich to Laconia in 30 minutes. South Tamworth is actually closer to Laconia than North Sandwich is.

My suggestion would be to scope out employment opportunities in your ideal areas and go from there. Being in Maine, you have the luxury to come to NH for interviews and take time to explore the surrounding areas.

Good jobs are hard to find in northern NH. My husband was fortunate to transfer up here with a great job, which is why we stay. It took me forever to find a job in my field and I make pennies compared to what I used to. I don’t mind, I like living here -- but it’s not an easy place to make enough money to keep up with the cost of living, especially in the more desired towns. This might or might-not apply to you, depending on your financial situation, but it's good to know beforehand.

Check out the Plymouth and Littleton areas for employment. They have a few more employment opportunities, shopping, etc., and there are some very nice little towns (Rumney, Hebron, Thornton, etc.) around them that would provide the setting you are looking for with an easier commute.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:12 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
"The eastern parts of Tamworth might be more convenient to Conway, but South Tamworth, North Sandwich, and Center Sandwich aren’t really close to anything. This, of course, is part of their appeal, but not easy if you both need to work."

gotta' agree with that one - but you might try looking at Farmington - it's a small rural community with a population of about 5000 - it's fairly close to Laconia and Conway and groceries are 5 minutes away in Rochester - plus Rochester is a fairly good sized town with a multitude of stores (a nice town despite the recent publicity)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire