Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:35 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times

Advertisements

What is it like? Are there alot of jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 02:11 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
What kind of work? Really need more info with this question. I could say unemployment rate is 2% but if your a coal miner it would be 100% know what I mean? So If you give me more info I will give you more. Deal.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:21 PM

5 posts, read 23,414 times
I'm not sure what kind of work you are looking for, but I don't think Alton has much of a job market besides seasonal, tourist-related stuff that is very low-paying. There are a few shops in town and a Dunkin Donuts and grocery store, but that's about it that I have seen driving through. However, Alton is about an hour away from both Concord and the Seacoast, both which have more of a job market. There are few good paying job openings in the Lake Region, and not many more in Concord, though. The only reason I am in NH is because of my husband's job. I haven't been able to find one since we moved 6 months ago.

As for the town itself, I have heard some refer to Alton as the "blue collar" town on the lake, meaning it is not as upscale perhaps compared to Meredith or Wolfeboro. There are still many nice houses/areas in Alton, however.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:09 PM

108 posts, read 412,837 times
Default Alton job market

Hi there,
I am new here and I can answer this question.
Alton is a sleepy town with very little industry. In fact, the businesses in town consist of 3 banks, a major grocery chain (finally) , 3 hardware stores..maybe 4, actually, a 5 and dime, a doctor's office, several small convenience stores and nurseries and 2 or 3 lake marinas. There are a few small restaurants and Dunkin Donuts. Alton has a population of about 4000 in the winter and it swells to 12000 in the summer.

All in all the best bet for jobs, depending on your field, would be Concord, Rochester or Laconia. But it's hard to speculate without knowing your field.
Here is the web page link that might help you out.

http://alton.nh.gov/Main.asp
Hope this helps!

Old 05-17-2007, 07:09 PM

12 posts, read 29,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txinnh View Post
I'm not sure what kind of work you are looking for, but I don't think Alton has much of a job market besides seasonal, tourist-related stuff that is very low-paying. There are a few shops in town and a Dunkin Donuts and grocery store, but that's about it that I have seen driving through. However, Alton is about an hour away from both Concord and the Seacoast, both which have more of a job market. There are few good paying job openings in the Lake Region, and not many more in Concord, though. The only reason I am in NH is because of my husband's job. I haven't been able to find one since we moved 6 months ago.

As for the town itself, I have heard some refer to Alton as the "blue collar" town on the lake, meaning it is not as upscale perhaps compared to Meredith or Wolfeboro. There are still many nice houses/areas in Alton, however.
Thanks for posting the information. We're moving that way in July. Hubby's job is in Portsmouth and we've found a TERRIFIC place in Alton, so I'm absorbing all the info I can! Are you from Texas? (kind of a 'duh' guess judging from your id. lol) We're from the Houston area and are looking forward to living there. I can't...no, I WON'T... take another southeast Texas summer! Do you like it there? Is there anything resembling TexMex there?

Old 05-17-2007, 07:26 PM

104 posts, read 467,052 times
Alton is VERY different than Texas! You may be in for quite a culture shock. But hopefully in a good way! It's a really nice little town and has very low taxes, compared to most NH towns. there is lots of town spirit, and plenty to do since it is so close to Lake Winnepesaukee. Plenty of touristy places and fun spots nearby. I'm sure there are even some Tex-Mex restaurants around. If not, you can open one! I'm sure it would be popular! All Mexican places in NH are very popular, so I'm sure Tex-Mex would be no exception.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 23,414 times
Quote:
Thanks for posting the information. We're moving that way in July. Hubby's job is in Portsmouth and we've found a TERRIFIC place in Alton, so I'm absorbing all the info I can! Are you from Texas? (kind of a 'duh' guess judging from your id. lol) We're from the Houston area and are looking forward to living there. I can't...no, I WON'T... take another southeast Texas summer! Do you like it there? Is there anything resembling TexMex there?
Yep, I'm from Texas. I grew up in San Antonio, went to school at UT Austin, and then worked in Dallas. I married a NH native who wanted to return so I wound up here.

I actually really like living in NH so far. Of course it is very beautiful, and my life has been much more enjoyable after leaving the traffic and job stress of my life in Dallas. The winter didn't really bother me much at all. Layering clothes and wearing long underwear works. I was also impressed with how quickly they cleared the roads.

That being said, moving here has been a HUGE culture shock. It's hard for me to pinpoint the exact differences, though. I'm still adjusting. The cost of living is crazy to me, but I think I was just spoiled by how relatively cheap TX was. Be prepared to pay more for car registration, housing, groceries, etc.

As far as Tex Mex, ha ha ha ha I have tried most every place around here, and the only place I can stomach is Margaritas. My in-laws keep recommending places that they hear are "excellent", and I naively keep trying them in hopes of hitting the good food jackpot. The worst would have to be Las Pinatas in Laconia, where the very small two enchilada plate was $18.99. Or maybe it was Hermanos in Concord, where chips and salsa were considered and appetizer, and cost extra. Joking aside, you won't find great Tex Mex, but NH is an awfully nice state.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:33 AM
ptm

16 posts, read 74,390 times
Any suggestions about marketing myself (I am a massage therapist)? I am looking to start a second practice in this area (my prime location is in MA)?

I realize it will be slow to start, but I was looking for suggestions. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:09 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygoodwrite View Post
Hubby's job is in Portsmouth and we've found a TERRIFIC place in Alton,
Ouch, quite a commute. Most of the driving on Rt16 and all of Rt11 is only one lane. With the summer tourists and the winter snow, that commute is pretty hard. I knew someone in the Alton area that worked on the seacoast and a heavy winter storm could mean a 4 hour drive home at 20mph. Good luck.

Yeah, jobs in Alton and the area are pretty slim. I'm sure you could find a retail position at $7-$10 hour, but others would be a hard find.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:48 AM
ptm

16 posts, read 74,390 times
I have a home in Gilford, so I won't be commuting from MA.

The plan is to start a NH practice while I'm there visiting (I'm licensed both in MA and NH), and then I won't feel so guilty for not working every time I come up! With any luck I can eventually move to NH permanently.

I have found space in Alton Bay and will be starting in January. I realize things will be slow in the beginning, but by the spring and summer, I am hoping things will pick up with the seasonal visitors arriving.

Happy holidays everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire