Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BEST PART OF STATE TO LIVE IN
NORTH OF CONCORD 186 58.13%
CONCORD AND SOUTH 134 41.88%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:14 PM

26 posts, read 78,979 times

Advertisements

Howdy, Katrose, good to see a fellow Chicagoan posting at the New Hampshire site! And how right you are about Chicago and its imminent destruction at the hands of gangbangers, angry immigrants, strident liberals and corrupt politicians. Why else would I be flipping around on city-data.com?

New Hampshire residents, I'm considering moving to your state - I believe you'd be OK having me and my husband move in, we're good people, I'd like to think - so allow me to ask: What is it about Manchester and Nashua that make these cities attractive to criminal elements? Because something is attracting these people to New Hampshire. There's gotta be a government hand-out in there somewhere -criminal elements don't move to New Hampshire to work a 9 to 5. Are these cities soft on crime? Do police get blamed for racism when they crack down on crime, as they get blamed in Chicago? Or do city leaders go so far as to blame law abiding society at large for crime so that criminal elements get a pass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 05:48 PM

105 posts, read 208,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcsherlock View Post
Howdy, Katrose, good to see a fellow Chicagoan posting at the New Hampshire site! And how right you are about Chicago and its imminent destruction at the hands of gangbangers, angry immigrants, strident liberals and corrupt politicians. Why else would I be flipping around on city-data.com?

New Hampshire residents, I'm considering moving to your state - I believe you'd be OK having me and my husband move in, we're good people, I'd like to think - so allow me to ask: What is it about Manchester and Nashua that make these cities attractive to criminal elements? Because something is attracting these people to New Hampshire. There's gotta be a government hand-out in there somewhere -criminal elements don't move to New Hampshire to work a 9 to 5. Are these cities soft on crime? Do police get blamed for racism when they crack down on crime, as they get blamed in Chicago? Or do city leaders go so far as to blame law abiding society at large for crime so that criminal elements get a pass?
Have you ever been to Manchester or Nashua? The actual level of crime (not media-hyped, not CD stats) is in reality very, very low--especially compared to major cities such as Chicago.

At any rate, it's very simple--more population=more crime. Manchester and Nashua are the most populous cities in NH. So, go figure

Old 08-13-2008, 06:10 PM

26 posts, read 78,979 times
Jmatt, I've never been to New Hampshire. I should have said, my post reflects earlier comments RE crime in Manchester and Nashua, found in this long string of messages.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:29 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,591,919 times
I voted north of Concord ....less people ...the White Mountains ...the lakes ..to me that's NH ....for 4 summers back in the '80's my family spent the summer in North Conway ....love that area ...I like Laconia area too ...I remember hiking up Mt.Lafayette from Franconia Notch, fantastic!

Southern NH is too much like MA for my taste

Old 08-13-2008, 07:17 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,981,214 times
Like JMatt said: Manchester is the biggest city and Nashua is number 2. Any time you have large numbers of people together crime goes up I've even seen it in hobby situations where you have multi-thousand people at events... there's crime (only a few at events, much less crime). So it doesn't really have to be anything that's 'attracting' criminals, it seems to be an unfortunate aspect of 'civilization': there's always people who want things they're not entitled to. It's unfortunate, but it's not unusual.

And like he also said, us feeling the crime rate is high there is simply that it's high compared to the rest of the state. Kinda like everyone feels the property tax is so out of line (it isn't - compared to many other states, just more than most people want).

Guess I'm just agreeing with JMatt

Old 08-13-2008, 08:18 PM

103 posts, read 316,043 times
I would say it depends on what you want to do for work. North of Concord still has a lot of small town NH in it. But! There isn't much for work up there. If your contempt with living on a 50-70K a year family income, then I would live north of Concord.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:20 PM

14 posts, read 43,856 times
Hi DMCSHERLOCK nice to know there is a fellow Chicagoan on here who knows what I am talking about. I have been to New Hampshire many times and love it there. We always said that when my husband retired that is where we are going. He retired from the CPD last year so our house is up for sale and we can't wait. We already know where we plan on looking and it is in North Conway and around Laconia area. I have been to Concord and Manchester several times its not for me. After being in the big city for so many years I want to downsize big time.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:31 PM

120 posts, read 784,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrose View Post
Hi DMCSHERLOCK nice to know there is a fellow Chicagoan on here who knows what I am talking about. I have been to New Hampshire many times and love it there. We always said that when my husband retired that is where we are going. He retired from the CPD last year so our house is up for sale and we can't wait. We already know where we plan on looking and it is in North Conway and around Laconia area. I have been to Concord and Manchester several times its not for me. After being in the big city for so many years I want to downsize big time.
katrose, my husband works for the louisiana state police and we are determined that nh is where we are going to retire as well! We have almost 3 years left and i can hardly wait. He is also looking forward to getting away from the grind and the hustle bustle of what we would describe as a 'big city' (baton rouge). i can imagine that CPD is even crazier! we are actually wanting to look even farther north than y'all. I wish you luck in selling your home and finding your dream location in nh! I envy you that you can do it right away - i am actually counting down the days (899). Please let us know how everything turns out! Good luck again!

Old 08-16-2008, 07:48 AM

103 posts, read 316,043 times
Please People..If your going to move here don't bring that materialistc, capitalistc, ipod wearing, cell phone zombie, tree cutting, water bottle out the car window throwing, yelling, screaming, nail fileing, yahooing, additude with you.

It's getting bad enough really fast up here. My only hope is that oil prices will go through the roof and all the pretty people who can't deal with a smelly wood stove and wearing 3 sweaters in the house 6 months out of the year will stay away...I can only pray.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:37 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,104,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFWIC View Post
Please People..If your going to move here don't bring that materialistc, capitalistc, ipod wearing, cell phone zombie, tree cutting, water bottle out the car window throwing, yelling, screaming, nail fileing, yahooing, additude with you.

It's getting bad enough really fast up here. My only hope is that oil prices will go through the roof and all the pretty people who can't deal with a smelly wood stove and wearing 3 sweaters in the house 6 months out of the year will stay away...I can only pray.

Live free or die. Sound familiar?

If people want to do something, and if it doesn't effect you or I, what the heck do you care? Outside the littering, if I want to cut down trees on my land, I'll do so.

You sound like part of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire