Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BEST PART OF STATE TO LIVE IN
NORTH OF CONCORD 186 58.13%
CONCORD AND SOUTH 134 41.88%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 12:58 AM

2,631 posts, read 4,047,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackleberry View Post
other than saying no to manchester and nashua and north vs southern end, it seems like there is no one best place its just really a hit or miss overall. i was looking at the census for manchester and nashua and the diversity overall was enough to tell me no as any place i lived the more diversity the more problems has always been true from what i have seen.

so really the question is, whats the best places overall for lower taxes, decent schools, not overcrowded, and not a ghetto? oh yea, how about what towns are not full of protesting whiny baby hippie wannabes that protest if someone stepped on a bug wrong (AKA southern california types)

I don't think that's the real problem....

Last edited by LexWest; 12-04-2010 at 01:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,356 times
Tndreaming,
Hi!
Just read your message; what a coincidence:my husband and I live in Myrtle Beach, and we are thinking about moving to NH, we zeroed in on Wakefield (or maybe Ossipee)!!
Any info on Wakefield and area in general would be appreciated!
Thank you!!

Old 06-17-2011, 06:30 PM

16 posts, read 81,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
This is so funny. It's true. Hanover is full of poseurs. They hang on the street (the one main street) drinking coffee, posing and acting like they are 'sophisticated' because they live in 'gasp' Hanover.

There is NO REAL shopping here. The Gap? And a bunch of sub par restaurants.

Every time we drive to Hanover (we do this often to go to our library) we see them, posing. Scruffy prof types, pretentious students, all jetting around on cells phones like (bow please) Hanover is the hottest thing in the world.

It's a road. That's it.

I wonder why there is not a better town near an Ivy League university. Lebanon is not much better (not pretentious, just 'nothing special')

I have been treated better in NYC than Hanover, so please do not confuse the two. NYC has many reasons to brag. Hanover, not so much.
GypsySoul22, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have been treated, overall, MUCH better on the roads, sidewalks (meaning people won't deliberately walk into you), and in the shops of such diverse locales as New York City, Washington (DC), Chicago, London, Paris, Montreal, and Toronto than in Hanover, NH. Two comparable towns to which Hanover is compared are like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

Burlington, VT has the same a*****e element ("I'm so liberal and care so much about global warming and the Ecuadorian Iguana that I don't actually have to be NICE to people") as Hanover. Ithaca, NY puts its liberalism where its heart is. Ithaca is truly a friendly town without drivers who act like p****s with their "Coexist" and/or "Mean People Suck" bumper stickers.

In Boston, the 02138 Zip Code (Harvard Square, Cambridge) and 02459 Zip Code (Newton Centre) has much of the same "element" as Hanover or Burlington. I wouldn't be surprised if these Zip Codes are areas from whence these people grew up or at least spent a few years.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:26 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,554 times
We are far from New Hampshire. Currently in Nevada. But this thread is great! Keep it going.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:42 PM

3 posts, read 5,760 times
Yeah, I'm not a fan of any towns south of Concord... but I can't really say with certainty that they're all bad. I just know I wouldn't want to live in Manchester or Nashua. Concord is a great place, though.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,049 times
Give me Massachusetts any day after living in the South for a year- I'd give a leg to be back home among the circumferential highways and people who can think for themselves......NH? Don't care....just a state to drive through on my way to the "Old" Vermont where I was raised.....would rather not live somewhere where people hide behind the Right to Bear Arms as a reason to stockpile assault weapons in rural towns....not what the Forefathers were envisioning, I imagine....but if it has to be, I'm not going to live there.....

Old 05-30-2014, 05:40 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Question MA murder rate and murder-by-firearm rate are both 300% of NH's rates

I have to agree with all those posts in this thread from 2006-2011 saying the worst places in New Hampshire are the ones closest to the state borders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonYou'reMyHome View Post
Give me Massachusetts any day after living in the South for a year- I'd give a leg to be back home among the circumferential highways and people who can think for themselves......NH? Don't care....just a state to drive through on my way to the "Old" Vermont where I was raised.....would rather not live somewhere where people hide behind the Right to Bear Arms as a reason to stockpile assault weapons in rural towns....not what the Forefathers were envisioning, I imagine....but if it has to be, I'm not going to live there.....
Stay out of western Massachusetts if that's something you're actually worried about.

This is a pretty weird complaint, you came to the New Hampshire forum and resurrected a thread that died 3 years ago, just to say you don't want to live here?

Old 05-30-2014, 07:32 PM

276 posts, read 448,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonYou'reMyHome View Post
Good luck with that - the best thing about Vermont is some of the least restrictive gun laws in the country. I'd be happy if New Hampshire became more like Vermont in that regard

Old 06-01-2014, 03:25 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I often wondered why Liberal Massachusetts had all the high tech jobs and Conservative friendly NH did not?

Recent changes to NH's gun laws make us nearly as unrestrictive as Vermont. Aside from the Federal laws and Regulations any adult can carry a loaded firearm out in the open in this state. Concealed carry requires a permit from the town police chief.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:44 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Recent changes to NH's gun laws make us nearly as unrestrictive as Vermont. Aside from the Federal laws and Regulations any adult can carry a loaded firearm out in the open in this state. Concealed carry requires a permit from the town police chief.
Can you elaborate on the recent changes?

One advantage of NH's Pistol & Revolver license is that it's fundamentally a shall-issue license. Better yet, if the issuing authority (usually your town police chief) denies you unjustly and is overturned in court, he gets to pay for your lawyer and court costs. To avoid scaring the tourists, people tend to pay the ten bucks and get the license rather than do open carry -- some towns have upwards of 10% of their residents licensed, with the low-water mark set by towns like Nashua, with only about 4% of the population holding a P&R. So while about 5% of the population of Massachusetts have an LTC allowing them to own handguns, at least 5% of New Hampshire's population have a real LTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I often wondered why Liberal Massachusetts had all the high tech jobs and Conservative friendly NH did not?
I doubt the answer is about Liberal vs Conservative. Boston in general and MIT specifically is a major factor in business incubation, as is climate, transportation, etc.

Actually, there are a fair number of high-tech firms in southern NH, and I know many guys who commute to technology firms in MA, or better yet, telecommute at least part time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire