Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 08:59 PM

8 posts, read 9,331 times

Advertisements

Hello
Have a job prospect in th Portsmouth area and am considering relocating from the south. Concerned with the cost of housing, I'll rent and the quality of life and the much is going on in the area? I currently live in a town that has very few options for dining or entertaimnent. Any feedback on pros and cons of the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 09:25 PM

176 posts, read 298,886 times
If you follow the pattern, you will be: 1) surprised and depressed by the frigid temps from November through March, 2) upset because we're quiet and don't like small talk, 3) surprised at the lack of public [insert service] 4) positively shocked at housing/heating costs. You don't have much going on in your current area, Portsmouth may be a pleasant surprise there.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:09 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Where in the south are you moving from?

Old 05-22-2014, 05:51 AM

56 posts, read 78,714 times
Portsmouth has many, many dining and entertainment options. In my opinion it is by far the nicest city in NH. When you say concerned about the quality of life can you be a little more specific? In general NH has a very good quality of life compared to many other places in the US.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:27 AM

611 posts, read 1,205,028 times
Where in the south are you coming from? My family from SC visited in the fall and loved it here. There positive comments were about the number of small businesses operating out of homes, the beautiful scenery, and the food. I think my uncle would have picked up and moved right up but my aunt has concerns about the snow and cold. Portsmouth is a vibrant town and if you are coming from an area with little going on, I think you would enjoy the area. That being said, winters are long, cold and you have to endear yourself to your snow shovel and possibly a plow guy. Heating costs are high unless you can supplement with wood. Unless you are comparing areas like Charleston or Savannah, you will most likely find housing costs higher in the Portsmouth area.

Last edited by lady fern; 05-22-2014 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 05-22-2014, 08:47 AM

48 posts, read 79,445 times
I moved from Texas last July and really love it up here. The winter was certainly long and cold but also beautiful and I actually enjoyed shoveling snow. I am kind of lucky though because I can work from home on days where the weather is really bad. The hardest part to me was how short the days are in winter up here vs. the south.

The people here have a bad reputation in my opinion. I've met more of my neighbors and had random conversations with strangers in the grocery store than I ever did in Texas. On the phone people can have a little of a "get to the point" attitude but I've never really noticed that in person.

I don't have much experience with Portsmouth but I'm sure there'll be more to do there than your average podunk town in the south. If you'll have access to a car there is so much to do within a relatively short driving distance.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:07 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
I have heard that Portsmouth housing costs -- rents and sales -- are through the roof. Almost Boston-like. Can a nice Portsmouther (Portsmouthite?) quote some typical monthly rents (include heating, as winter heat is included in many city rents, as it is here in NYC) and apt. conditions within the Portsmouth city limits and within walking distance of the nice downtown? Thanks.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:13 AM

56 posts, read 78,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikachu View Post
I moved from Texas last July and really love it up here. The winter was certainly long and cold but also beautiful and I actually enjoyed shoveling snow. I am kind of lucky though because I can work from home on days where the weather is really bad. The hardest part to me was how short the days are in winter up here vs. the south.

The people here have a bad reputation in my opinion. I've met more of my neighbors and had random conversations with strangers in the grocery store than I ever did in Texas. On the phone people can have a little of a "get to the point" attitude but I've never really noticed that in person.

I don't have much experience with Portsmouth but I'm sure there'll be more to do there than your average podunk town in the south. If you'll have access to a car there is so much to do within a relatively short driving distance.

This is a pretty accurate assessment. We New Englanders are not always cold and unfriendly per se but can sometime appear that way to outsiders. The pace of life here is very fast and often we don't have time to slow down down and shoot the breeze but when we do have the time we enjoy it as much as everyone else and can be very friendly.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:46 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfheim View Post
If you follow the pattern, you will be: 1) surprised and depressed by the frigid temps from November through March, 2) upset because we're quiet and don't like small talk, 3) surprised at the lack of public [insert service] 4) positively shocked at housing/heating costs. You don't have much going on in your current area, Portsmouth may be a pleasant surprise there.

The lack of small talk would be a good thing! I came home from work and didn't get inside for 30 min bc of a chatty neighbor! Lived in MI for first 10 years of my life so use to some snow. Am worried about cost of living though

Old 05-30-2014, 06:54 PM

Default Replies

Georgia
I'm waiting on a reply from a job

Main concern are the cost of housing, the ease in meeting people and having entertainment options
Being able to do things with my dog is important,
I know it says NH has no sales tax or state tax and wondered if that along with a pay raise would off set costs
I've looked at some rental properties and doesn't seem like much option in the a Portsmouth area. It does however seem like more local business than my current area. It's very much a chain restaurant, wal-mart shopping area. Not my cup of tea. I definitely like independent unique restaurants and avoid Wal-Mart at all cost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire