Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 03:39 PM

80 posts, read 110,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
I'm a Democrat. I'm not an "activist looking and scheming to bring in progressive liberal bull****."
I don't see the need for "conservatives" to so often be insulting to "progressives", or "liberals"--while they claim, as you did, that you are a "polite person", & "respectful".

I recently bought a house in S. NH. I have yet to meet any "activists looking and scheming to bring in progressive liberal bull****."[/i] Everyone I've met here is pretty polite & friendly, but I have no clue as to their politics.

You might start off--when you're moving--by not insulting 1/2 the people of the state you're moving to. And you can vote--that's the way it works in the USA--half the people are Democrats, half conservatives..........or why not move to a "redder state", like Alabama......so as to lesson the chance of your encountering anyone who doesn't vote like you do.....

Generally speaking, conservative/ libertarian folks want less government intrusion into their lives and lower taxes, with more responsibility on the individual. Democrat/ liberal folks want more and bigger government in order to "fix" social problems, and higher taxes to provide more "services" to those less fortunate. It is this type of person (democrat) that locals resent. Of course this is a generalization and does not apply across the board. But quite frequently it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 05:39 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
Your comment about not being a drinker made me look this up..

thestreet.com says we are the drunkest state:

New Hampshire, you salty dog; we never would have guessed. Quite the surprise. Or is it?

Well, considering the state enacts no sales tax on alcohol purchases, we can see why its residents (and bordering Massachusetts, Maine and Vermont residents too) are more free to spend, drink and be merry. At a wholesale level, retailers pay 30 cents a gallon on beer, and $2 a gallon for wine and spirits. Cheap! The next round is on us, OK?

Cheers, New Hampshire. You'll be hosting the next rager, we're sure.

Total pure alcohol consumed: 4.7 gallons per person

Beer: 318.3 cans per person

Wine: 36.5 bottles per person

Spirits: 18.8 bottles per person
Do you know how these statistics are measured? There are three surrounding states that people come from to buy cheap booze. Is this accounted for? I don't buy that the average drinker in NH drinks more than the average drinker in say, MA or any other state. And I doubt there is much of a difference in the percentage of people who do drink alcohol. Misleading statistics and easy to see that

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 04-30-2015 at 05:50 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 07:00 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Also, any thoughts about the best time of year to look for a retirement home or land?

We have always vacationed in NH in October, when we think NH is at its most beautiful, but we also know that more homes are listed for sale in the summer. What, in your opinion, would be the optimal time that would give us the most choices but would not sway us too much by the beauty of an NH autumn?
That time is RIGHT NOW!

Old 05-04-2015, 09:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Do you know how these statistics are measured? There are three surrounding states that people come from to buy cheap booze. Is this accounted for? I don't buy that the average drinker in NH drinks more than the average drinker in say, MA or any other state. And I doubt there is much of a difference in the percentage of people who do drink alcohol. Misleading statistics and easy to see that
Yes, it is accounted for. Almost half of NH's liquor sales are from tourists who come to take advantage of the tax from alcohol. Even with that, NH is still the biggest drinker.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArbitrarian View Post
Yes, it is accounted for. Almost half of NH's liquor sales are from tourists who come to take advantage of the tax from alcohol. Even with that, NH is still the biggest drinker.
In your media addled mind maybe. Where did you get your statistical research?, A crackerjack box? Have you lived in NH? What objective proof or first hand knowledge do you have that the average NH resident drinks the most of the 50 states? What you just said "Almost half of NH's liquor sales are from tourists who come to take advantage of the tax from alcohol" blows a hole right through the statistics yet you still say NH is "the biggest drinker" Makes no sense whatsoever. Assuming you mean take advantage of the cheap prices of alcohol, not "take advantage of the tax from alcohol"

If NH does indeed have the heaviest drinkers as you assume, would it not also have the highest rates of alcohol related diseases and accidents?

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 05-06-2015 at 01:31 PM..

Old 05-06-2015, 05:53 PM

810 posts, read 852,020 times
we would fit right in in NH. Hubby likes to drink beer and I don't mind a few once in a while. He actually doesn't drink a lot. But we do like to gout once in a while

We live in Oregon but I am ready for change maybe it is my old age or I have lived in the NW for about 27 years.
We are in the suburbs of PDX (Beaverton) which is only slightly smaller than Manchester. I did a cost comparison and it said housing was 20% less in Manchester.

If hubby could do the telecommute which he probably could talk his boss into then we would be okay. We only have 1 child she is 9 and finishing 3rd grade.

NH has the best state slogan ever LIVE FREE OR DIE!

If wishing could make it so. Or I could tell hubby I am Capt Piccard and i want to move Make it so Number 2 :-)

Old 05-07-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
we would fit right in in NH. Hubby likes to drink beer and I don't mind a few once in a while. He actually doesn't drink a lot. But we do like to gout once in a while

We live in Oregon but I am ready for change maybe it is my old age or I have lived in the NW for about 27 years.
We are in the suburbs of PDX (Beaverton) which is only slightly smaller than Manchester. I did a cost comparison and it said housing was 20% less in Manchester.

If hubby could do the telecommute which he probably could talk his boss into then we would be okay. We only have 1 child she is 9 and finishing 3rd grade.

NH has the best state slogan ever LIVE FREE OR DIE!

If wishing could make it so. Or I could tell hubby I am Capt Piccard and i want to move Make it so Number 2 :-)
If you are from Oregon and want to move to NH learn what the true meaning of the state motto is, who said it and the context in which it was said. Oregon is rainy but beautiful state( I have lived there).
The only thing Oregon and NH have in common is that they have beautiful scenery. It ends there. Let keep it that way.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:18 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
we do like to gout once in a while
I've never been a big fan of gout. Kinda painful. But hey, if that's what you're into, more power to you.

But as for the actual question, just keep in mind that Manchester is very different. Is it cheaper than Beaverton? Sure, but that's because it's not Beaverton. I'm not even sure it quite measures up to Gresham.

So you're paying less in no small because you're getting less. It's hard to pick a perfect OR equivalent to Manchester, but it's probably something roughly in the ballpark of Albany.

If the point is just to save a bit on housing why not move to Aloha or Woodburn or Keizer?

Old 05-10-2015, 12:58 PM

810 posts, read 852,020 times
thank you for the replies.

We have actually not had the usual rain and cloudy spring. Last few days beautiful. What rain we have had has not lasted for days on end. :-)

I know one way NH has us in western Oregon beat and that is 4 wonderful seasons. We basically have 2 wet and dry. Our leaves turn but they do not compare to the east coast. As for winters it is rare for us to get snow and have it last more than a day. Although in 2008 we had a nice winter with snow lasting about a week. The snow and cold do not bother me since i grew up in western PA.

Gresham is one of the worst places to live around here. Seems like lots of violence and drugs over there. Aloha would be equivalent. Woodburn is okay they have a nice outlet mall there which I love going to. Keizer is not too bad close to Salem the capital.

In reality I want a change but I doubt if I could convince my other half. One of the most important things would have to be schools since we have a 9 year old.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:11 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:

Gresham is one of the worst places to live around here. Seems like lots of violence and drugs over there. Aloha would be equivalent. Woodburn is okay they have a nice outlet mall there which I love going to. Keizer is not too bad close to Salem the capital.
Not all of Gresham's reputation, like Manchester, is earned. Both are considered undesirable in comparison to what else is around them.

My point was that Gresham is on par with Manchester in many ways. Manchester crime index = 344; Gresham = 386, with Manchester higher on assault and arson, and Gresham higher on auto theft, etc. Murder in either city is negligible. Manchester slightly higher in poverty rate.

And to be fair to Gresham, a lot of the crime is actually still on the Portland side of the boundary, gentrification is just pushing it toward Gresham, but the distinction gets blurred.

Yes, fall foliage on the Kanc is hard for anything in OR to compete with, but that's a basis for a vacation, not relocating across the country imo (plus NH doesn't have anything quite on par with Crater Lake either)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire