Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 07:33 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
Background before I answer.....I've grown up living in cities and in neighborhoods where houses are close to each other. Not jam packed like you see nowadays, but each person would have up to a half acre.

As for the unexpected....I wasn't used to being so independent. As in hauling my own garbage to the dump, going to the center of town to get sand for sanding the road by our house, a septic tank, having to buy and make sure propane was delivered, and the like. It wasn't that I wasn't mature enough to handle or physically unable, I was just used to living in a city where services like those mentioned are available in abundance. It made me realize how spoiled and cared for I was living in a more urban environment.
Other things we did not expect.....(these are not complaints. We'd move back to Sunapee in a heartbeat, and probably will some day. We love NH, and consider it home although we were only there two years).
Buying firewood in the summer, and the year before you needed it so it could dry, not waiting until it got cold to try and find some.
I didn't expect mud season.
I didn't expect to have well water and having to add chemicals to treat it.
I didn't expect to need specific clothes for each season of the year. I always thought it was silly how I'd hear people packing away winter clothes as summer approached or vice versa.
We didn't expect it to be as difficult as it was to find good fresh produce in the non growing season.
We didn't expect it to take so long to get anywhere. Seven miles can (not always) take you 30 or more minutes. Not because of traffic, just passing through the small towns and windy curvy roads.
I could go on, but those are some key things that came to mind as I contemplated my reply to you over the last couple days.

-Mike
Not all of New Hampshire is country/woods. There are a handful of towns that will knock more than a few things off that list.

My wife grew up in San Antonio and your list is pretty much her list. Thankfully she's come to love NH and the trade offs make up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 08:57 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I had 3 straight weeks from late Dec to early Jan where the temp never got above zero. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a 30+ degree difference between southern and northern NH.
Agree. But the poster I quoted is implying that the entire Winter has a high of zero and that's just not true, certainly not in the Southern part of the state. I can't speak for North.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:09 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
This comment is TOO FUNNY! "Not North Dakota cold". I mean, ok, so not -20 but only zero for a high every day! I mean who would care when both places are THAT cold? As far as "many" people...check U-Haul, Van Lines and Ryder Truck Rental. I have NO doubt out-bound from BOTH states are more expensive than in-bound rentals.
Zero is cold for my part of NH (SE). More likely high's are in the 20s or 30s (above zero). No comparison to the temps and wind of ND. Big difference in 20 above and light winds to -20 and 25 mph wind. Bye Bye ND, never want to go back there....

Old 03-16-2018, 03:18 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Zero is cold for my part of NH (SE). More likely high's are in the 20s or 30s (above zero). No comparison to the temps and wind of ND. Big difference in 20 above and light winds to -20 and 25 mph wind. Bye Bye ND, never want to go back there....
Wind certainly makes all the difference in a very bad way. Going east from the Dakotas into the Northwoods is cold but with far less wind. In terms of tree types, the Northwoods is similar to northern NH, NEK, and central and northern ME.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:16 PM

346 posts, read 358,271 times
We lived in SWNH for 30 years nice area, good people, lots of snow in winter. Moved to northern Whites 3.5 years ago, a little colder far less snow, good people. Less thunderstorms and severe weather in general.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:40 PM

5,951 posts, read 2,871,799 times
Well I am about as far north as you can go in New Hampshire and I love it. My Section of land is above Vermont / Can. border at 2400 feet elv. We have been to -35 3x this winter with highs -18 and - 22f .Not N.D. cold perhaps , but we get way more snow. in my book " snow makes Winter '.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:51 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Angry Even if he were talking Celsius, S.NH isn't nearly that frigid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I had 3 straight weeks from late Dec to early Jan where the temp never got above zero. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a 30+ degree difference between southern and northern NH.
Agreed -- there are many differences between NW.NH and SE.NH, climate being just one example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
Agree. But the poster I quoted is implying that the entire Winter has a high of zero and that's just not true, certainly not in the Southern part of the state. I can't speak for North.
That's not even true in degrees Celsius.

This current winter, Manchester has only seen two weeks where the high temperature stayed below 0°C (the coldest week this year was New Year's week with a high of 27°F).

Old 04-13-2018, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 5,257 times
We have only been in Manchester a week and are in love with the place! Question...we have to get the car inspected and need a good, trustworthy mechanic. Any suggestions? Thanks! We love your city!

Old 04-13-2018, 10:41 AM

500 posts, read 635,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zepladyamanda View Post
We have only been in Manchester a week and are in love with the place! Question...we have to get the car inspected and need a good, trustworthy mechanic. Any suggestions? Thanks! We love your city!
If nobody chimes in, the mechanics at the dealership can do it.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:19 AM

86 posts, read 88,403 times
I LOVE NH....I moved to S.W. New Hampshire back in 2000. Due to some family issues, we returned to Connecticut last year to help out. We can't wait to return next year to NH. Miss the quiet where we were, the small towns and mountains, lakes and the people. While Ct is very beautiful where we are, it's crazy here with all the taxes, highways are awful ( 95 ) and it's just to crowded for our taste. I guess after 20 years in NH I am more NH then Ct now so were heading back HOME to New Hampshire and settle in and enjoy it. The cost of living in Ct is just a bit too much for our taste.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire