Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 11:52 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I have 2 oil tanks in my basement and last winter used an estimated 150 gallons of oil for the winter. (I had a wood pellet insert installed in my fireplace in October '13 and so was able to use pellets most of the winter, so even though it was BRUTAL, I saved a ton on oil!!). My local oil companies just switched to summer pricing and the lowest I see is $3.45/gallon, which is about .35/gallon cheaper than it was most of the winter. (I'm in the Monadnock region -- prices here seem to be higher than in many other parts of the state, alas.) I have a lot of oil left in the 2 tanks so could go without replacing the ~150 gallons I used, but I expect the prices will be higher next summer, so I might as well get the tanks filled THIS summer.

My question is, from your experience, do prices go down in June and basically stay the same until they start going up in the fall? Or do they go even lower in July? I simply can't remember what the situation was the past couple of years (just moved into this house in May 2012, before that used pellets exclusively for heating at my former house).

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 04:44 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,008,451 times
Bummer about prices in Keene. I can get it for $3.29 here in Nashua now.

I can't remember if prices dip even lower in July, but I want to follow along on here...I could use a top off too.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:51 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Exclamation Fill your tank in June.

The US Energy Information Administration has weekly price data for NH, it seems to only cover October-March. Aside from all the other factors that affect petroleum product pricing (see this ancient CT forum thread). Looking at my records of oil deliveries, June prices are always lower than September.

The real risk with waiting until the end of summer is hurricane season. Any supply or refinery interruption can cause prices to spike.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
The US Energy Information Administration has weekly price data for NH, it seems to only cover October-March. Aside from all the other factors that affect petroleum product pricing (see this ancient CT forum thread). Looking at my records of oil deliveries, June prices are always lower than September.

The real risk with waiting until the end of summer is hurricane season. Any supply or refinery interruption can cause prices to spike.
I was actually wondering about the difference between June and July (not June and September -- I definitely won't wait until then!) ... are June prices typically the same as July's? If so, I might as well order my ~150 gallons now. If not, I may wait a month.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:57 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
That's difficult to say -- few people buy heating oil after a final fill-up in May or June; EIA doesn't track summer heating oil prices at all.

There is historial data for diesel prices on the EIA website, you may be able to draw some conclusions from that data?

Old 06-09-2014, 12:26 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
You are already spending over $500 for the oil. Why worry about $50 or so either way? Fill the tanks, replace the filters and be done with this chore. You might as well get a delivery of fuel pellets while you are at it.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the replies, I will rep you all!

GregW, $50 is almost a week's worth of groceries, so if I can save that, it's worth it. And I already have 2 years' worth of wood pellets so I am all set with those for the next 2 winters. I don't actually need to get oil either, but I can't imagine that the price will be lower next summer ...

Old 06-09-2014, 12:52 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
K n NH - I'll agree with you about next year's oil prices. Pellet prices are likely to do the same. I really do not like shopping so searching for the best prices is not much concern.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:00 AM

147 posts, read 268,700 times
how much oil do you buy at once? usually if you buy more than 500 you get a break in price. So if you can buy 500 at once you can save again?

Old 09-18-2018, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 548 times
Default Summer prices definitely lower...usually

Hi!
Great question. Summer prices usually decrease....USUALLY. This summer has been a little different as they have actually gone up a little. Sometimes world issues/instability can cause this spike. But definitely as we head into the heating season you can expect the prices to go up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire