Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:56 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times

Advertisements

line 3 on the MA non-resident tax form is for your total income based on federal 1040

see the instructions for line 14e -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 11:57 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
So the only way around it is to file separately?

Old 01-11-2008, 12:00 PM

yes - but filing separate usually means paying more

Old 01-11-2008, 12:04 PM

223 posts, read 1,003,375 times
Sounds like there is only one way around this ... live and work in the great state of NH. Bummer!

Old 01-11-2008, 12:38 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
You know, it seems as though SOMEBODY in our state government level should be doing something about this... after all SOMEBODY in the MA state government made it a point to go after people who don't even WORK in that state. Where would one start...

Old 01-11-2008, 01:08 PM

I have no clue - I argued until I was blue in the face with the MA tax collectors.

If anyone knows a way around it, please post, so I can file amended returns for the past 15 years.

I worked for a company in Boston for 35 years. The first 20 years I worked in NH, so I did not have to pay MA tax and my spouse's income was not a concern. Then I was promoted out of the field to a desk job and commuted to Boston from Derry. That is when I started paying non-resident MA taxes and my spouse's income was added to be apportioned appropriately.

believe me...I TRIED!

Maine has been doing it forever with people that work at the Portsmouth Naval shipyard. Not only are they taxed by Maine, but their spouses NH income is also taxed by Maine.

I doubt if NH state government will help. When Romney instituted the NH commuter tax, nobody in NH government raised an eyebrow.

Soon after becoming Massachusetts governor, Willard Mitt Romney retroactively imposed new taxes on non-residents, including Granite State citizens who work, conduct business, and/or invest in the Bay State. Romney’s higher taxes reached into New Hampshire and helped vacuum at least $95 million in marginal income back across the border.

race42008.com » Blog Archive » Romney Raised Taxes on NH Commuters

that's $95 million dollars that moved from NH to MA!

Old 01-11-2008, 01:37 PM

712 posts, read 1,366,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiChick View Post
Sounds like there is only one way around this ... live and work in the great state of NH. Bummer!
Best way out of the whole thing is to find a better home buyer's Market like ones found in Ohio and Pennsylvania. Even North Texas!

Though none of those places will have the beautiful character that the greater Boston area offers. There is nothing like it, the proxoimity to the beaches, the mountains, great weather, all the historical places, the coffee (on Seattle beats them in Coffee, but not by much).

Old 02-04-2008, 06:34 PM

6 posts, read 15,974 times
I live in NH and work in MA. MA is simply where the high paying jobs exist. If I could I would work in NH. My company is an IP Backbone provider, and I know almost all the NH CLECs and we provide them all (most) service. Everyone needs broadband and now take it for granite. Hopefully there will be a National drive to deliver BroadBand to everyone and then maybe jobs will pick up in NH (for IT). I know FairPoint is taking over Verizon's Land Lines ... and that may be an opportunity. They are hiring 600 people right now. But, I am a little higher up on the food chain. Anyway, the commute is not bad so long as you don't work the 9-5 shift. If you do, and you work in Boston, expect a two hour commute ... and keep your eyes peeled in the bumper to bumper driving. Work off hours and it is less than 45 minutes to get to south of Boston.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 23,745 times
Default see for yourself

This forum started to be confusing so I dug a bit into MA tax code. My wife and I live in NH. I work in MA and she works in NH so this issue is of great importance to our tax year. From what I get under the individual person filing married only Mass source income applies. Judge for yourself I guess, hope this helps. Any thoughts? This stuff is always hard to understand.

(a) Individuals.
1. General. An individual non-resident whose Massachusetts source income exceeds $8,000 or the personal exemption to which the non-resident is entitled after apportionment, whichever is the lesser, is required to file with the Commissioner a return on Form 1-NR/PY.

2. Married Individuals. If the Massachusetts source income of one or both spouses exceeds the minimum filing amount, each spouse whose income exceeds that amount must file a Form 1-NR/PY. However, a married individual may file Form 1-NR/PY jointly with his or her spouse provided that they are both non-residents and that their tax years begin on the same day and either end on the same day or end on different days solely because of the death of either or both.

3. Failure to File. The Massachusetts income tax will be assessed on the entire Massachusetts source income of a non-resident who fails to file a return. The Commissioner will determine the non-resident's Massachusetts source income according to his best information and belief and may assess the tax with penalties and interest, and without allowance for deductions or exemptions, in addition to any other penalties allowed by law.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:09 PM

17 posts, read 52,870 times
CVIVACE --

If you file Jointly on your Federal taxes, the state of MA taxes your total income based on your 1040, and that includes your wife's income.

The only way to get around paying MA taxes on your wife's income is to file Separately on your Federal return.

Yes, it's confusing, but listen to buck naked -- He is right on this one. The state of MA will catch you eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire