Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 07:26 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,189 times

Advertisements

nlw820 - you've responded to several issues which came to mind as I was reading through the responses. Yes, living in Boston and commuting to 30 miles NORTH of Concord would not be doable. Nevermind the tax implications. And you're right, even Manchester is uncomfortably far and easily avoidable. And it sounds like you'd only be moving for this job opportunity, and aren't simply asking, "what place in New England would best suit me?"

Concord is actually quite a lively little city. It took me a long time to realize this, after moving to NH from a large international city and having lived in Boston before that. I should qualify that statement - "lively" is relative. The opportunities pale in comparison to any larger city, but you'll find live music, a nice bookstore, outdoor concerts in summer, a downtown farmer's market, restaurants and bars, some festivals. One thing to note is that whenever everyone gets their acts together, the downtown will be revamped. The Main Street area has some nice shops and restaurants and an independent theatre, but it's looking tired. After many delays, it seems a (somewhat controversial) project to widen the sidewalks, add more landscaping and public art, and reconfigure parking will finally happen in 2015. I have a suspicion that Concord home prices may appreciate after completion of the project.

There are some ways to meet people. Meetup.com lists many group activities in the Concord area. Unless I missed it, you didn't say you were hoping to find a significant other in NH, but I will say that I know a divorced woman who met her husband (from Concord) through a hiking group. It's just that in New England in general it can be sort of hard to break into established friend groups. And when I first worked in the Concord area (outside of the city), I noticed that coworker ALWAYS went straight home, and never socialized. So work may not be a great place to meet real friends, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Northern New England is very cloudy....more than half the year is gray. North of Concord is not Fargo, but it's close.

...I don't think this is true. According to various online sources, in Concord roughly 200 days a year have sun. It's COLD, sure, but every month of the year over half the days are at least partly sunny. (I have spent all but two years of my life in Boston or points in NH or Maine.)

It is, however, true that the days are very short in winter, getting dark shortly after 4 pm on the shortest days, due to the far eastern location in the time zone.

Last edited by cowbell76; 06-15-2014 at 07:41 AM..

Old 06-15-2014, 08:00 AM

6,571 posts, read 6,736,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
...I don't think this is true. According to various online sources, in Concord roughly 200 days a year have sun. It's COLD, sure, but every month of the year over half the days are at least partly sunny. (I have spent all but two years of my life in Boston or points in NH or Maine.)

It is, however, true that the days are very short in winter, getting dark shortly after 4 pm on the shortest days, due to the far eastern location in the time zone.
Lol, guess we need to add in partly sunny days as a third option. In any event New England is more gray than people from away expect it to be. It's not like the northwest USA though.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Lol, guess we need to add in partly sunny days as a third option. In any event New England is more gray than people from away expect it to be. It's not like the northwest USA though.
I guess it depends on the "people from away." In my experience people imagine that cold = cloudy, and are often surprised at how many frigid winter days are still bright and sunny. It's certainly not as sunny as some places, I grant you that.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:21 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,565 times
Fargo, ND and NH could not be more different, IMO. Fargo = flat, windy, stupid-cold, tree-less, isolated. NH = ocean, mountains, forests, less cold, beautiful seasons, proximity to big cities. I will guess that Fargo has more sunny days though.

I live in Minot, ND - not much different than Fargo. 52 days and I'm heading back to NH.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I suggest renting a decent size apartment within walking or a short drive to where you are going to work. Apartments 30 miles north of concord are not that expensive. Do not waste your time on commuting. Use that time to investigate local or nearby social activities and other things to do. For instance there is a lot of social activity in and around Waterville Valley and other resorts during ski season and in the towns around Lake Winnipesauke in the summer.

FWIW - Mid state NH is nothing like Fargo, ND. It gets cold but does not stay that way from November to next November like Fargo.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:37 AM

19 posts, read 16,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Fargo, ND and NH could not be more different, IMO. Fargo = flat, windy, stupid-cold, tree-less, isolated. NH = ocean, mountains, forests, less cold, beautiful seasons, proximity to big cities. I will guess that Fargo has more sunny days though.

I live in Minot, ND - not much different than Fargo. 52 days and I'm heading back to NH.
That made me laugh out loud. Fargo itself is a pretty community, since it's on the Red River. And it was within a reasonable distance to the Twin Cities, which is how I kept my sanity. But yes, seriously stupid cold. Although the sun does shine a lot. Minot sounds like hell to me.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:41 AM

19 posts, read 16,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
nlw820 - you've responded to several issues which came to mind as I was reading through the responses. Yes, living in Boston and commuting to 30 miles NORTH of Concord would not be doable. Nevermind the tax implications. And you're right, even Manchester is uncomfortably far and easily avoidable. And it sounds like you'd only be moving for this job opportunity, and aren't simply asking, "what place in New England would best suit me?"

Concord is actually quite a lively little city. It took me a long time to realize this, after moving to NH from a large international city and having lived in Boston before that. I should qualify that statement - "lively" is relative. The opportunities pale in comparison to any larger city, but you'll find live music, a nice bookstore, outdoor concerts in summer, a downtown farmer's market, restaurants and bars, some festivals. One thing to note is that whenever everyone gets their acts together, the downtown will be revamped. The Main Street area has some nice shops and restaurants and an independent theatre, but it's looking tired. After many delays, it seems a (somewhat controversial) project to widen the sidewalks, add more landscaping and public art, and reconfigure parking will finally happen in 2015. I have a suspicion that Concord home prices may appreciate after completion of the project.

There are some ways to meet people. Meetup.com lists many group activities in the Concord area. Unless I missed it, you didn't say you were hoping to find a significant other in NH, but I will say that I know a divorced woman who met her husband (from Concord) through a hiking group. It's just that in New England in general it can be sort of hard to break into established friend groups. And when I first worked in the Concord area (outside of the city), I noticed that coworker ALWAYS went straight home, and never socialized. So work may not be a great place to meet real friends, either.
Thanks, Cowbell! You are absolutely correct--the move would be for the job. The job itself would be a great opportunity. It's the rest I'm trying to figure out. Thanks for your input!

Old 06-15-2014, 07:22 PM

73 posts, read 119,137 times
I live in Concord and think you will really like it here. Concord is actually quite liberal; Concord, Keene and Portsmouth are considered NH's Democrat strongholds, whereas the state itself tends to lean Libertarian (socially liberal/fiscally moderate-to-conservative). Religion isn't a major aspect of life in Concord by any stretch of the imagination, although churches are there for those who want to attend them. Most of Concord's social life doesn't revolve around the outdoors, although there's a lot of great hiking in and around town. There's a vibrant music scene, a dozen or so non-chain fine dining options (many more in Manchester, Boston and tourist areas north and west of Concord) plus several other casual restaurants, a great independent movie theater (Red River) and old movie palace/live venue (Capitol Center for the Arts), plus the Concord City Auditorium, which is a grand old theater where touring and local theater groups perform. The Christa McAuliffe Planetarium, Community Players, Kimball Jenkins Estate, League of NH Craftsmen, Concord Community Music School and numerous dance troupes in the area add to a pretty rich cultural landscape for a city of 45,000ish. Also, Gibson's Book Store on Main Street has become a place where people come to meet for coffee and talk about literature, philosophy and other cerebral subjects. It also hosts a number of readings. The True Brew Barista, Hermanos, Tandy's and several other downtown bars host live music all the time, and a lot of it is surprisingly good. Overall, Concord is a pretty artsy city for its size. The combination of efforts by the Chamber of Commerce, affordability (by Boston area standards) and an already educated, intellectually engaged and generally well-off population has made Concord a destination for creative professionals, especially over the past 5 or so years. The offerings are almost always geared to a Tony, somewhat tame, NPR-listening crowd - symphony orchestras sell out the Capitol Center whereas you won't find a GG Allin tribute band playing here any time soon. There are a number of decent summer stock theaters in nearby communities, with my favorite being the New London Barn Playhouse. Also, the business community in Concord is very friendly and sociable. If you can, try to join a local business group (Rotary, Kiwanis, etc). The businesspeople really like to help each other out. I'd say the dating scene for people in their 40s is doable, but be advised that many single Concordians in their 40s are divorced with children. Even though it's still a family-oriented city, you can still be single in Concord without feeling weird; if anything, your friends will often be jealous of you. I'm in Boston/Cambridge for work at least once a week, and it's an easy commute (between 50 and 90 minutes from garage to garage, depending on traffic), even though a daily commute from New Hampton is out of the question. Overall, I think Concord is a great match for your criteria. My recommendation is to volunteer with the Red River Theater, Capitol Center for the Arts or another such artistic nonprofit listed above. You'll make a lot of friends that way, which will help you get your bearings as you adjust to life. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:59 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlw820 View Post
I am a single woman in my 40s, seriously considering a move to New Hampshire. The job would be about 30 miles north of Concord. I have never lived on the east coast (although I have done winters in the Rocky Mountains, the Midwest, and the Northern Plains), and currently live in what appears to be the complete opposite of NH--Las Vegas.

I am lean more liberal in my politics and am not religious. I am not overly outdoorsy, although I do like to hike. I enjoy live music, theater, dining, etc. I am trying to decide where the best place would be for me to live should I accept the job, and wondering if there are individuals similar to me who might offer some recommendations on making such a move, on why you enjoy living where you do, things to do, etc. I am leaning towards Concord, but not completely sure. Obviously Boston is nearby, which would offer a plethora of options.

But online research only goes so far, I'm finding. Any tips or advice are welcome.

Thanks!

--Nancy in Nevada
Although I don't currently live in NH, I've spent considerable time there.

I honestly think you'll be unhappy based upon the above. Also, going from a dry warm climate with TONS of sun to New England with brutal winters, humid & rainy summers, and less sun overall, I feel you'll be in for a shock.

I'd pass, unless your job is more important than your overall happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire