Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 06:51 AM

36 posts, read 47,350 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks. Have finally started the process of moving to New Hampshire. Shooting for Summer of 2013. Will be landing somewhere in Darmouth or Monodnock Counties With those areas in mind would like to put out some questions

Found this site with local property taxes. New Property Hampshire 2012 Tax Rates | NH Town Property Taxes
Is this per thousand dollars or ??. Realtor sites have assessed taxes based on the property but I do not see how the tax indicated reconciles with this site.

Are there any areas that have less restrictive building codes than others.

Is solar worth installing. Seems like every pic of a house for sale is taken on a cloudy day.

Is there any areas know for crime or gang activities that should be avoided

Wells seem to be pretty prevalent. Is there any issue with water quality in general.

Going to be renting a house in the area first, before buying. What is the average monthly rent for a 1200 sq' house.

Thanks to all for you help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 02:14 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,039,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move on View Post
Found this site with local property taxes. New Property Hampshire 2012 Tax Rates | NH Town Property Taxes
Is this per thousand dollars or ??.
that's not the official site, but it is cute, and is easier to read. the official site is 2012 Property Tax Rates Related Data | Municipal Services Division | NH Department of Revenue Administration That site looks relatively accurate though. and yes, it's per thousand $.

Quote:
Realtor sites have assessed taxes based on the property but I do not see how the tax indicated reconciles with this site.
more likely the realty sites have listed the taxes as the seller had them. keep in mind that the assessed rate is not necessarily the selling rate.

Quote:
Are there any areas that have less restrictive building codes than others.
probably, but I don't really know much about the building codes around the state - other than that they likely go by town in general, so some towns might allow one thing (like open tread stairs out doors) while another won't.

Quote:
Is there any areas know for crime or gang activities that should be avoided
I'm told that Greenville has a drug rep, but I've not noticed much. course I'm also not in residence yet... in general, crime in NH is lower than most places in the US. of course no place is entirely crime free and there are the odd exeptions. but you can't base the entire crime situation of Mont Vernon on 1 machete incident no matter how horrific it was. As you expect, the more population, the more incidence of crime you're likely to find (ie: expect more in the cities) but again, our level of 'bad' crime is still pretty low. same with gang activity. Nothing like other places, we just consider it bad on our standards.

Quote:
Wells seem to be pretty prevalent. Is there any issue with water quality in general.
wells & septic are the majority. have them tested; usually they're fine.

Quote:
Going to be renting a house in the area first, before buying. What is the average monthly rent for a 1200 sq' house.
good idea. sorry, no idea on the answer though. Good luck with the move!

Old 12-07-2012, 03:01 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,953,232 times
The url you posted is one that I used to recommend, but found that it had inaccurate tax data for 2012. That's a shame because iit has such an easy to read graphic interface... I am posting from my phone, so can't share right now but will get you a pdf of accurate tax rates later tonight.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:20 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,000,235 times
Just about if not all towns have adopted the BOCA codes.
Same can be true for zoning and such.
Some of the real small towns may not have any full time town employees other then maybe a road agent (DPW).
So the selectmen may act as zoning, planning, building departments.
There are state energy codes for building residential structures.

The bottom line is that you just cannot build whatever you want anymore.

Do a search of the Carl Drega case and read up on small town New Hampshire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire