Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 07:50 PM

22 posts, read 81,673 times

Advertisements

My family came from the same part of the country as you and one of the reasons we chose NH was *because* there are so many non-religious. I think it's second after Vermont in terms of non-practicing religious folks in the country.

There are a lot of Catholics, a lot of spill over from MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 03:58 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,849 times
my two cents

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-h...-move-our.html

Old 07-14-2014, 07:22 PM

432 posts, read 414,681 times
New Hampshire is tied with Maine for being the second-least religious state Vermont is #1, Mass is #4. You would not know it from all the beautiful churches and I really miss the bells ringing the hour.
I now live in Colorado, religion is not that big here, but there are no pretty churches, no bells, and 3 different jesus-rock stations interfere with my reception of NPR. People do ask about your religion here, which I found shocking. I tried to skirt the subject saying I was a Unitarian Universalist (really an atheist but I like the UU) and the person said "That sounds like something you made up." Ugggh...

Old 07-14-2014, 08:36 PM

193 posts, read 534,103 times
New England generally leans toward the scientifically minded, so interactions with religious people are typically courteous. We do teach our kids to be sensitive of other people's beliefs, and impress on them how lucky we are to live in the United States and in New England, that there were times and there are places where you would be killed for believing or disbelieving the wrong things.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Religion is a non issue in NH (except for a few jerks including a boss that fired me for getting ill and because I refused to be proselytized) but politics is a state wide sport. I am an evil Liberal and work for most of the Democratic Party goals (except gun control). I work against the Religious fanatics that have infested the GOP with their bigotry. Many of my friends are staunch old fashioned Republicans and we get along just fine.

I think you will find the social climate very accepting but somewhat scarce as the population of Chicago is several time the population of the entire State NH. Take some time to visit. I suggest after schools are in session and before the Invasion of the dreaded Leaf Peepers. Early September is a good time.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:10 PM

611 posts, read 1,204,808 times
Religion is pretty much a non issue. In fact, I have heard more concerns about several coworker's strong Christian beliefs than I have about others' atheist sway. We occasionally go to church and the coffee hour conversations were more about politics, local issues/events and the weather. I don't think God or Jesus ever came up, even in the church. As others have said, you would take more heat for promoting an income tax or developing a new McMansion subdivision complete with box stores than you would pronouncing yourself an atheist at a town meeting.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:08 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamien View Post
New England generally leans toward the scientifically minded, so interactions with religious people are typically courteous. We do teach our kids to be sensitive of other people's beliefs, and impress on them how lucky we are to live in the United States and in New England, that there were times and there are places where you would be killed for believing or disbelieving the wrong things.
science? as in the religion of evolution? .. yeah that's science..lol

Old 07-16-2014, 07:04 PM

193 posts, read 534,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
science? as in the religion of evolution? .. yeah that's science..lol
Science as opposed to faith-based, and a populace who generally realize that their beliefs are based in faith. I also used "scientifically minded" in contrast to the ubiquitous "atheist" since it seems odd to define one's philosophical stance (if you will) in the context of others' beliefs, however widespread. I wouldn't define myself as a non-unicornist, for instance. I imagine 500 years from now the defining minority term will be "theist" ... and may they live in peace without persecution or oppression.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:00 PM

61 posts, read 88,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saetas View Post
Greetings everyone,

I am in the process of considering moving to the Northeast from my present location, which for those who are interested in where that is it is Chicago.
I am an Atheist, I fully respect people's beliefs and have no intention of forcing mine on them, however as one can imagine this has caused me some issues where I live. From people trying to covert me to general hate mail etc. from my community. Obviously it varies from area to area in any state but my current home has simply not become a home of late.
Who, in Chicago, would ever care whether or not you're an atheist?

That you've been persecuted for atheism in Chicago is one of the silliest things I've heard and I can only guess that you are being very selective in the details of your story.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:21 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Angry Chicago is the city of the big shoulders and religiously intolerant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsChicago View Post
Who, in Chicago, would ever care whether or not you're an atheist?
That you've been persecuted for atheism in Chicago is one of the silliest things I've heard and I can only guess that you are being very selective in the details of your story.
I've been persecuted in Chicago for not being a christian, it does happen. Remember this?

Discrimination isn't always as overt as having your holiday display blocked by a giant "Angels" banner, your garage set aflame or being passed over for a promotion, see this study, http://www.secularismandnonreligion....nload/snr.ad/4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: