Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 07:55 AM

3 posts, read 4,616 times

Advertisements

My daughter's first birthday is about a month away and we are looking for a venue to host 30-40 adults and just a few kids. We have looked at the indoor play gyms, but we'd rather have the party to cater more to adults since there will only be a couple kids and babies. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Southern Maine also works.
Thank you in advance
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 08:54 AM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,008,193 times
What is your budget for this?

Old 08-05-2014, 10:19 AM

$400 but would like to spend less

Old 08-05-2014, 10:45 AM
miu

So with 40 guests, that's only $10 per person.

What about finding a backyard or park that has a you can all gather in, set up a grille and just have an informal cookout. Buy a cake and buy some balloons. Maybe ask your guests to bring some outdoor games or some other food. In case of rain, put up some tents.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:21 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,584,971 times
I agree with miu - the kid is one. Just have a bbq in someone's yard.

Preferably the yard with the fewest mosquitoes. Put the money into food/beer.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:19 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So with 40 guests, that's only $10 per person.

What about finding a backyard or park that has a grille that you can all gather in, (set up a grille in the backyard) and just have an informal cookout. Buy a cake and buy some balloons. Maybe ask your guests to bring some outdoor games or some other food. In case of rain, put up some tents.
Sorry, my first post wasn't all that well written.

I think that if you can have your party in a private backyard, that would be the very best location for you. You did mention that this party is more adult oriented since your child will only be one year old. And the advantage is that you'll have more money for better food and beverages, and importantly you can keep a better eye on the few kids that will be there. If you try for some place like a Chuck E. Cheese, you'll have other families encroaching on your gathering and then there is the germ factor. A nicer restaurant and what if your baby starts crying? Plus $400 isn't going to cover much food or beverage for 30 or 40 guests.

So hopefully, you have access to a private backyard.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:33 PM

First, thank you for the replies. I was thinking of doing it at our home in the backyard but was worried about rain. Like you said we can get tents set up if that were to happen. I guess I was also wondering if there was a hall or some type of venue you can rent where I can bring the food and beverages?

Old 08-05-2014, 01:45 PM
miu

You can try some of those VFW, Elk Lodge type halls... but the rental fee will eat into your budget. And when you say beverages, are you thinking alcoholic or non-alcoholic? If alcohol is involved, some places will want to provide a bartender and probably want to sell you the alcohol. That is because of liability issues.

And maybe, you'd like a party that is not at your home, someplace different. So maybe you can find a family member or friend to host the party for you.

Also, you can look into renting a large tent. Look up party tent rentals on the internet. And they will rent out tables and chairs also.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:53 PM
miu

Google up "party venues Dover, NH". One place was $300 just for a private room rental. And that's without food or beverage.

And I did find this link for parties at the Childrens Museum in Dover. However, I think that your daughter will be way too young to appreciate a party there, plus your group has very few children.

The Childrens Museum of New Hampshire

Old 08-05-2014, 02:13 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,584,971 times
Some places rent event tents (Taylor Rental Center of Rollinsford, NH | Party & Event - Rollinsford, NH).

Could also just see who amongst your friends might have a an open tent - when I lived in the midwest I had quite a few friends who owned them for sporting events.

And some rain is part of life in New England - though certainly you'd want a tent at least over the snacks/cake since you don't want those to get wet, as a guest I wouldn't necessarily expect you to spend a fortune to have a plan B, though maybe it depends how far guests are traveling.

Particularly if you're trying to avoid having them congregate inside your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: