Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 04:37 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times

Advertisements

Now I've noticed that many of you are up in the north, but.... anyone got useful opinions on New Ipswich? I lived there my first 6 years and I think it would be kinda neat to go back there (besides, who can afford to live in Hollis - where we moved to!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 07:02 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
I'm Not 1 but There are ppl here from that area. They tend to pop in every few days. So don't get discouraged.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:39 PM

Ok. Hopefully they'll be on in a bit. I have nice memories, but while I've driven around a bit lately, I don't know how it may have changed at all.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:24 PM

6 posts, read 23,120 times
The area still isn't over populated even though its near the mass boarder... I've lived in Rochester, wolfeboro and am now in west central nh.... I once looked at a place on the river in New ipswich not too long ago......
No income tax - no sales tax -- but do choose your town wisely for if the towns people have not been fiscally conservative then your property taxes will be high.... tax rates go from about 10/1000 to about 40/1000... a listing is on the state home page.....
Plan a few weekend trips or some vacations and see if all is well b 4 getting serious... .... chris

Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruger1 View Post
if the towns people have not been fiscally conservative then your property taxes will be high.... tax rates go from about 10/1000 to about 40/1000... a listing is on the state home page.....
Plan a few weekend trips or some vacations and see if all is well b 4 getting serious... .... chris
Ok, how would I know if the town has been fiscally conservative? I can find that the taxes for New Ipswich are $14.66 (or were in '06). How do I find the rest?

We've been up there a little bit, it's amazing how it still has the small town feeling in spite of a bit of building and being right on the border! I don't have to worry particularly about the schools, as 1) we're retiring and 2) we have cats instead of kids

Old 01-16-2007, 08:43 AM

23 posts, read 93,540 times
I personally dont care for NI much. I think there are too many cops and too much vandalism and drugs. It is a low populated town but too close to the MA border for my taste. But that is just my opinion.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanac24 View Post
I personally dont care for NI much. I think there are too many cops and too much vandalism and drugs. It is a low populated town but too close to the MA border for my taste. But that is just my opinion.
yeah, but then I'm asking for opinions, so thanks! But.. don't you need the cops if there's vandalism and drugs? How bad is it, compared to say.. Nashua or Milford?

Old 02-27-2007, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 5,125 times
Default Living in New Ipswich

I currently live in New Ipswich. For the most part it is fairly quiet.
Personally there can never been enough police officers for any town,but for New Ipswich, there are not enough. I understand there are no
on duty New Ipswich police officers (except for state police) from 2am to 7am, my times are not exact but pretty close, and this may not be every night, but I know its at least a few nights during the week.
They are trying to improve this.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SP View Post
I currently live in New Ipswich. For the most part it is fairly quiet.
Personally there can never been enough police officers for any town,but for New Ipswich, there are not enough.
The main thing I keep finding on sites dealing with NI (and there's only this and the NI town forum), is a lot of talk about the number of police (either too many or not enough)! I've looked at the crime logs and it really seems pretty quiet, unless there's a lot that's not called in and reported. Why is this topic such a concern in the town?

I'm glad to hear it's still fairly quiet, it still looks a lot the same.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,943 times
Default Life in New Ipswich

Life in New Ipswich
In general life in New Ipswich is what you make it to be from what I can remember. The town has always been pretty much a working class town. But that is a good point because people are still willing to work in the town and there are few if any welfare queens. The town budget is always kind of tight so that keeps anyone from getting carried away with big public projects and it also allows the residents to keep their money in their pockets. You'll find that the skin flint Yankee attitude is alive and well in New Ipswich.
If one just goes to work every day, comes home and watches a Red Sox game once in a while and reads the Monadnock Ledger then you are probably less than happy. However, the crime is low, the property taxes are not too bad and there is a sense of community in the town. A student can get a decent (maybe not outstanding) education at Mascenic which has a lot to offer considering its rural setting. The biggest detriment to better academics at Mascenic are a lot of the blue collar working parents attitudes towards higher education and the school budget. Hence, many of the better teachers eventually move onto to greener pastures.
There are sports teams, scouting and civic organizations to belong to. Fitchburg and Nashua are both reasonable driving distances. However, New Ipswich is rather short changed by the state education system. UNH is too far away and too expensive and Keene State is quite a drive with one having to go over the lower slopes of Monadnock in the winter to get there. Fitchburg State College is an easy drive but one has to pay out of state tuition to go there. So access to higher education is probably the biggest minus to the whole area.
The biggest issue in New Ipswich is probably boredom.....like most other smaller remote NH towns there is not a whole lot to do in the one flashing light town center. One has to get involved with recreational activities that are readily available; lakes and water activities, intramural sports, fishing, snow mobiling, Mount Monadnock, the Wapack trail, historical sites, scenic drives. But that is probably why some one moves to NI anyway. They want to get away from the big city, crime, taxes, commutes, pollution, welfare queens, crooked politicians and noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire