Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:56 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,966,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmfrtblynmb View Post
I just wanted to say again THANK YOU to everyone who has answered any of my questions/concerns. Sweetbottoms ty for worrying about the climate change, I know its rough for people who like the heat. However, after spending a winter in WI (about 45 min from Milwaukee) the weather was PERFECT! The family I stayed with was constantly saying, "you must be freezing being from FL" but I honestly just loved it. A lot of people don't realize the difference between humid/dry cold. Dry cold is amazing, wet cold...feels colder than -22 and your clothes get WET just from being outside. Yes there were times in WI when the windchill was -32, and you know, I was just in heaven lol. I really am not meant for FL. I have also spent some later months in MA but I noticed it didn't get as cold as the Midwest, but it was definitely more humid. The 40s and 50s here in the winter are OK for me, but its still not cold enough, 50s are ideal for spring I guess, nah make that 40s, but not for a "winter". I LOVE to layer...and layer...and wear MORE scarves hats come on living around people in flip flops and cutoff shorts year round is just depressing no matter how much sun you get!!

About the renting scarcity, yes, I've noticed people do not post much about rentals, at least year round. I only see ads on Craigslist for mostly reeeeeeeeeeeaalllly overpriced houses and "winter vacation" rentals. Of course my boyfriend and I will be visiting before we move! I have actually found a pretty perfect spot for us in NH, and the commute to MA is about 50 min, which my boyfriend said he doesn't mind since he's had longer commutes here in FL.

For those concerned about crime/influx of drugs etc. Please remember I live in FL, with a population of 20+ million and grew up where drugs, robbery and murder are sadly a daily occurrence. Yes at 8 I had a guy in his car try to sell me a "candy cane" which was white power (coke) and he had some harder powder (crack). I've explained some other occurrences in my original post, I just remember thinking those don't look like candy canes lol and walked away. We have had our house robbed when I was little. Yes these are terrible and dangerous, however, I am used to everyone I know doing drugs, and I don't plan on living in a city there like Manchester/Nashua.

I was actually wondering if any of you live in Hampton/Hampton Falls? I have found quite a few houses for under 300k and well, I still love my ocean Also, it seems sunnier there than other parts of NH, I have the weather app on my desktop so I see the weather for Hampton everyday lol. I know I know, you guys have "insane" property taxes, I'm just not that concerned, without a sales/income tax, I mean really, how high are these taxes??? People here pay anywhere from 4k minimum to 10k and up. My boyfriend and I are both trying to get our credit up to avoid insane interest rates. Can someone show me some numbers?? I just keep hearing "omg they're sooo high!!!"

I am sorry for you native to NH, I know its a terrible thing to find a nice place and have it ruined by crime and drugs. You could look at the bright side though, you have people (me and my bf) that NEVER do drugs, I can't even drink and never even would want to if I could, and I wouldn't be with my bf is he did drugs. We both love animals, are NOT into the "club" scene and appreciate our environment! I am also an artist, I'll paint pretty pictures for you We are like 2 old people I guess, we like the quiet, we like solitude. I promise we are NOT hippies if that is a concern to you lol.... no but seriously. Hampton seems great for this, and even though people say it is "tourist-y" well, I live in FL, enough said!! Hampton just seems really great because its on the water, its sunnier, its less than an hour commute to Boston, and the houses aren't all in the 2 million+ range (like here if you want to live on the beach).
So....any downsides???? High flood insurance maybe?

Again sorry for my long-winded posts, just like to be thorough and respond to everyone

You should be concerned for the taxes cause coming from a low tax state like Fla you're gonna find how many taxes you're gonna be paying, and how high.. People in Florida paying $4,000 in taxes on their houses are living ON the beach in a 5mil house. People in NH living in a 1910 fixer upper 30 mins from the nearest food store are paying $6,000 a year and hope they don't have a view, cause they're taxed on that too. Just car registration (initial) for 1 car there cost us the same as it would for 3 cars in Fla and it was just announced yesterday that registration prices are being lowered to the same prices as they were in 98 here.

Lower taxes in NH mean less access to things like better paved roads, plowing, and good schools. All your taxes go towards that.

I looked at homes in Hampton falls for $300,000 and under and one came up. A 3 bed 1 bath. Taxes % annual interest rate, and a loan of $247,410 on the house which was $$274,900 thats a monthly morgage of $1,844. The taxes were $5,300 a year. Thats an extra $400 a month on your mortgage. So now you're up to $2,244 a month. Thats not including your heating bill which as you can see from previous posts can he high so add at least $200-$400 a month on top of that.. Electricity is a separate bill in NH from heating, so another $120+ ... you really able to afford just that, not including any home insurance, car , yearly inspections etc on $60,000 a year and still be able to save and such? Probably not. Then you can get into the cost of car upkeep for winter, your four season wardrobe etc..

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 08-20-2014 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 10:23 AM

People retire and come to Fla to escape the tax burden of the NE, not the other way around unless they're coming from Jersey, Cali etc. There is a DRASTIC difference in home taxes in Fla vs NE and its silly to think otherwise. I live in one of the most expensive towns in Fla and our tax burden isn't even CLOSE to what it is in any New England state and our homes are new and all have a/c and heat etc. I live within biking distance to the beach and the taxes on my condo are $450 a year. Which btw has more square footage and another bathroom more than the house in Hampton Falls. I think it would be in your best interest to definetly visit and talk to realtors so you know what you're talking about. Esp since your other half will be working and paying Mass taxes also. (btw that 50 min drive in winter will be a two hour drive) one way.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:16 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,491 times
Sweetbottoms, you're comparing a historical house on 6.5 acres to a cookie cutter house where you could spit on your neighbors house from your own window. Find a historical house on comparable acreage in Florida close to the ocean and then compare cost and taxes.
I would not expect many homes for sale in Hampton Falls. The population is only around 2K - there is not going to be a ton of inventory. OTH, when I did a search of homes in Hampton for under 300K, I got 4 pages of results (16 pages if I included condos and multifamily).
Yes, the OP will need to do her research on towns with lower tax rates and be aware that some towns do not have services such as garbage pick up or mail delivery. But it sounds like she doesn't want to live in Florida anymore so it doesn't matter how much lower FL property taxes might be.
On a side note, I paid 1/2 as much in property taxes out West but lived on a postage stamp lot where I could hear my neighbors' dinner conversations in the summer. Now I live on 13 acres and feel like I am coming home to my own private state park every night after work. The schools are great in my district and I think the town does a nice job of maintaining the roads. What do I have to complain about - dropping my garbage once a week at the transfer station???

Old 08-20-2014, 06:57 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady fern View Post
Sweetbottoms, you're comparing a historical house on 6.5 acres to a cookie cutter house where you could spit on your neighbors house from your own window. Find a historical house on comparable acreage in Florida close to the ocean and then compare cost and taxes.
I would not expect many homes for sale in Hampton Falls. The population is only around 2K - there is not going to be a ton of inventory. OTH, when I did a search of homes in Hampton for under 300K, I got 4 pages of results (16 pages if I included condos and multifamily).
Yes, the OP will need to do her research on towns with lower tax rates and be aware that some towns do not have services such as garbage pick up or mail delivery. But it sounds like she doesn't want to live in Florida anymore so it doesn't matter how much lower FL property taxes might be.
On a side note, I paid 1/2 as much in property taxes out West but lived on a postage stamp lot where I could hear my neighbors' dinner conversations in the summer. Now I live on 13 acres and feel like I am coming home to my own private state park every night after work. The schools are great in my district and I think the town does a nice job of maintaining the roads. What do I have to complain about - dropping my garbage once a week at the transfer station???
I bet that 6% Florida sales tax adds up too. Kinda bites into those property tax savings a little bit. I'd guess that home insurance would be much more in FL also (as it should be).

Old 08-20-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
I bet that 6% Florida sales tax adds up too. Kinda bites into those property tax savings a little bit. I'd guess that home insurance would be much more in FL also (as it should be).
6 cents on a dollar, really? There is nothing grand about saving 6 cents on a dollar of anything..

Old 08-20-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Florida has building codes. Theres a reason This Old House is filmed in New England and not Florida. Houses that are historical are very few and VERY far in between. Most don't withstand hurricanes as they're wood frame. I'm comparing size of homes vs taxes and price. Quite frankly I'm taking the newer home.. Less problems .. Historical and "charming" are code words for old and run down in NH, been there, done that and fell for it. No use having all those acres on that house when most of your time will be spent fixing it!

Old 08-21-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Florida has building codes. Theres a reason This Old House is filmed in New England and not Florida. Houses that are historical are very few and VERY far in between. Most don't withstand hurricanes as they're wood frame. I'm comparing size of homes vs taxes and price. Quite frankly I'm taking the newer home.. Less problems .. Historical and "charming" are code words for old and run down in NH, been there, done that and fell for it. No use having all those acres on that house when most of your time will be spent fixing it!
I don't know...I've owned a newer home. Yes, there are building codes, but it is construction grade with only the minimum quality of materials and slapped together as quickly as possible. Yes, they are low maintenance if you are going to own your home for less than 10 years, but expect to be doing plenty of repairs over the long haul if you plan on spending your lifetime in your home. Plus "historical and charming" never goes out of style. Modern home styles go out of vogue and interiors that looked hip in one decade now look dated and will have trouble recapturing a return on investment.

Personally, I prefer a home with character. I lived in a modern development in Washington and felt liked a caged animal. Yes, people thought I had a beautiful home, but it looked like 10 other homes in the neighborhood. Plus there is always a home owners' association you have to deal with in those types of neighborhoods. Ours would send out notices if you had clover growing in your yard and encourage you to report a neighbor who let their dog out in the yard without a leash. I'd rather live in a shack on 6 acres than deal with that again. To each their own, I guess.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
6 cents on a dollar, really? There is nothing grand about saving 6 cents on a dollar of anything..
Buy a new car and see how you feel about that 6 cents on the dollar.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Buy a new car and see how you feel about that 6 cents on the dollar.
I have.

If you're spending $20,000 on a new car who cares about another $1,200, for real. That's a one time tax. Imagine living in Rhode Island and paying property tax yearly on your car. I can make that up in one pay check to put back in the savings.

Again, such a big deal made about no sales tax in NH when really its not that big a deal. Even if I bought a new $800 couch.. a savings of $48, big deal.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
I have.

If you're spending $20,000 on a new car who cares about another $1,200, for real. That's a one time tax. Imagine living in Rhode Island and paying property tax yearly on your car. I can make that up in one pay check to put back in the savings.

Again, such a big deal made about no sales tax in NH when really its not that big a deal. Even if I bought a new $800 couch.. a savings of $48, big deal.
$48 is just shy of my monthly internet bill. I'd rather keep it. We always buy used cars so we miss the depreciation curve of a new car. It always chapped me to write a check to the state of Washington for the sales tax on a vehicle they had collected tax on years before. So I guess I am the one who cares about the $1200. I don't think it is so much the no sales tax in NH that people make such a big deal out of. It is the combined no sales tax and no income tax which is nearly unheard of. I'm happy to keep it that way even if it was 6 cents on the dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire