Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 12:59 AM

18 posts, read 20,202 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am one of those unfortunate people that is actually a NATIVE of Florida. I think there's about 10 of us in this state...

I'm hoping I can get some informative responses about all things New Hampshire!! Questions I have:

Were you born in NH or moved there? If you moved, why?

Do you feel safe in NH? (this question for women only please)

Another question for women only please:

If you go out, maybe to a club, or just to eat, have men walked by and grabbed your ass? Do you get harassed while walking down the road, have men follow you in their cars while you walk? Have you ever been treated violently because you refused to show your lady parts or agree to hook up with a guy?
This has happened to me and almost every girl I have met here so if this sounds absurd to you please try to understand. I have had cigarettes burnt into my neck and chest by a group of guys because I wouldn't show them my "girly parts," then they said I must have STDs since I wouldn't show them my parts, been assaulted twice (by men). I have been drugged as well. This is VERY common and I'm just so angry at this point being around males that think drugging girls and raping them while they're passed out is "all good bro" and just all the women hatred here.(#1 state for amount of strip clubs which have turned into sex trafficking channels, so much prostitution, and so many girls that go to work at these clubs thinking they can just dance and make money end up getting raped or kidnapped INSIDE these clubs) It's made me a very angry person, I don't want to be angry anymore!!!!!

Are most people in NH judgmental of people that dress differently? Examples like body modification, tattoos, piercings, mohawks etc.

Some research I did about the average median income is in the area of $62,000.00. Is this only for people with BA/BS, Masters or higher?

Are people in NH respectful of their environment?
See, here in FL, you can't go to a single parking lot, or your own parking space in a complex or even your front yard without seeing bags of McDonald's, beer cans, broken beer bottles, litter in even the smallest streams connecting the "man made" ponds...urine....yes in our downtown drunk guys will unzip their pants and pull their thing out and **** in the bushes holding their peen sideways to **** on the bushes while walking about 2 feet away from you...while you're eating outside. Oh and the ponds are also filled with plastic bags, shoes, lighters, cigarette butts, plastic bottles for soda/water etc...weirdest thing I saw, (not a dead body, I saw that one in the Gulf) was a ceramic vase, it wasn't even broken. Oh and yea, have seen several dead animals in our ponds that are killed by young boys between the ages of 6-welll...adults. Some of the sickest animal abuses I've ever heard of have happened here. I won't go into detail but just look up animal cruelty/torture/abuse in FL. I could go on but I think you guys are getting a good visual for comparability.

Ok now for the negatives of FL...and your experiences!!!

We have SEVERE bugs! All kinds! Mosquitoes, Palmetto bugs, Asian cockroaches, German cockroaches, ticks, leeches, SAND FLEAS yes we have fleas in our sand and in the grass, oh and wasps like you wouldn't believe, hornets, horseflies, pretty much anything that bites. Do you guys in NH have a lot of mosquitoes? What about gnats? This is a major concern for me because I love to paint, and I can not use oil paints inside as they are not good for me, but the major reason is the turpentine/gessoes could kill my cat. I can not paint outside here since we don't have a screened patio area, I like mixed media, just not with bugs. I also prefer to smoke outside and I know its a bad habit don't judge please.

Do you have any venues/galleries/public art centers that display artwork? I'm asking specifically not about the high end ones, but maybe an arts center that as long as you have this many # of pieces of art in your collection you can display them there?

For anyone with Anxiety, OCD, Bipolar, Agoraphobia, or other mental illnesses, how is the health care? Have doctors turned you away because they said they are too expensive for you, that you are too poor to "afford" them? Have you had doctors PURPOSEFULLY hurt you during a "female exam"? Have you had doctors that get angry when you ask them questions about the medications they prescribe to you and why they chose that medication? When you voice concerns about side effects or other health concerns are you dismissed? Or worse, insulted by doctors for "reading too much"?

I know the winters are cold, that's fine. Is it a humid type of cold though?

Are there organic food stores there? Not like Whole Foods who get their food from China, but a local organic NON-GMO food market? Do you guys have local street markets on certain days i.e; every second Saturday between 9am-2pm or something like that?

My last question for now, since I know many people won't want to answer all of these

Is there a significant equestrian community in NH? People that own land or board for horses? Or stables that you can pay per hour to ride or train? I did competitive Dressage for 8 years (English saddle) and am wondering if horseback riding is popular? Or does it get too cold for them in the winter?

Thank you to anyone that responds to this post, I really appreciate it! I just need to know the experiences of people that live there not just stats about NH on Google lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 04:50 AM

176 posts, read 298,684 times
From all your questions, sounds like you are looking for either Portsmouth or Mass. Mental Health care is good here, IF you have good insurance, NH is not kind to the poor. Mass has a lot more social services. Had severe panic/agoraphobia from 22 on, wouldn't have gotten service without my spouse's fabulous insurance.

NH folks make a lot of money because many have advanced degrees. The median income is probably a spilt between the 100k Masters folks in tech, and us 30k folks with bachelors in everything else. If you have a bachelors degree, be prepared to commute, probably to Mass, and pay their income tax.

Having also done the young artiste thing, Portsmouth is one of the few places you could make any money as a painter of things beyond landscapes, even there it's rough, we have artists in NH who do well, but most are craftsmen who make jewelry and such.

Violence towards women doesn't reach what you discuss in most parts of New England, but I have had some lady friends and a sister-in-law who had some bad experiences with date rape. Probably if you're afraid of that, don't go out drinking or clubbing, as such things can happen anywhere.

People everywhere judge based on how you dress or what you put on your body, you probably know that. The difference is, in New England, we will quietly judge you, put you in the weirdo box and never tell you. People just won't talk to you, hire you for certain jobs, etc. We have a very refined, urbane way of telling you you're in the wrong part of town here.

Horseback riding is very big in New England, but yes, most do cut back heavily during our extremely cold, snowy winters. So be aware of that. And no, I don't know of anywhere that has a real winter that has humid winters. It's dry all the time indoors and out as soon as the heat turns on.

Overall, from what you seem to be looking for, it looks like a move to Eastern Massachusetts is better for you, you seem to want more social services and art centers than we have here, and as much stick as we give it, most parts of Mass aren't as terrible as some places one could live. If you insist on a picture perfect, rom-com lifestyle of a house and horse and painting on your private six acres, be prepared to pay for it, in cash and gas, median income is high here because we pay for exclusivity, not because NH pay is that great.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:18 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Left MA to go to NH to escape the growing urban congestion of Boston.
My boyfriend left Naples, FL to be with me in Boston, plus he found FL very boring culturally.

I feel extremely safe in NH, I also felt extremely safe in MA.
My boyfriend feels safer in NH than in MA. But he wasn't scared of MA or FL residents.

There are more bugs in NH than MA, but NH has less bugs than FL.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:54 AM

611 posts, read 1,204,354 times
My answers are in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmfrtblynmb View Post
Hello, I am one of those unfortunate people that is actually a NATIVE of Florida. I think there's about 10 of us in this state...

I'm hoping I can get some informative responses about all things New Hampshire!! Questions I have:

Were you born in NH or moved there? If you moved, why?

Moved here just under 2 years ago from the west coast for more rural environment, smaller government and to be closer to extended family.

Do you feel safe in NH? (this question for women only please)

Yes.

Another question for women only please:

If you go out, maybe to a club, or just to eat, have men walked by and grabbed your ass? Do you get harassed while walking down the road, have men follow you in their cars while you walk? Have you ever been treated violently because you refused to show your lady parts or agree to hook up with a guy?

I haven't been "clubbing" in years. Never had my ass grabbed in NH (although I am not in my 20's anymore). Most men here still open doors for women and practice some chivalry. FYI, there is not much of a club scene here...mostly pubs and bars.

Are most people in NH judgmental of people that dress differently? Examples like body modification, tattoos, piercings, mohawks etc.

I think this has been answered well previously.

Some research I did about the average median income is in the area of $62,000.00. Is this only for people with BA/BS, Masters or higher?

Unless you have rather specific skills, I doubt you would make 62K here without an education.

Are people in NH respectful of their environment?

For the most part. I did see a jerk throw his McDonalds bag out of the car in Newport once, but the roadside is pretty clean. You might come across a beer can or two around rivers but remember the population density is low and we have something like 85% woods here.

Do you guys in NH have a lot of mosquitoes? What about gnats?

Spring is referred to as "black fly season". Enough said.

Do you have any venues/galleries/public art centers that display artwork?

Yes. We just recently visited the art museum in Manchester.

For anyone with Anxiety, OCD, Bipolar, Agoraphobia, or other mental illnesses, how is the health care? Have doctors turned you away because they said they are too expensive for you, that you are too poor to "afford" them? Have you had doctors PURPOSEFULLY hurt you during a "female exam"? Have you had doctors that get angry when you ask them questions about the medications they prescribe to you and why they chose that medication? When you voice concerns about side effects or other health concerns are you dismissed? Or worse, insulted by doctors for "reading too much"?

I have never been treated for the above illnesses and in fact have not personally seen a doctor in NH so I cannot speak to any of this. I do find that most locals seeking healthcare are inquisitive yet practical.

I know the winters are cold, that's fine. Is it a humid type of cold though?

I would describe it more as bitter.

Are there organic food stores there? Not like Whole Foods who get their food from China, but a local organic NON-GMO food market? Do you guys have local street markets on certain days i.e; every second Saturday between 9am-2pm or something like that?

Limited on Whole Foods. There is a smattering of food coops. Farmers' Markets are everywhere.

My last question for now, since I know many people won't want to answer all of these

Is there a significant equestrian community in NH? People that own land or board for horses? Or stables that you can pay per hour to ride or train? I did competitive Dressage for 8 years (English saddle) and am wondering if horseback riding is popular? Or does it get too cold for them in the winter?

There are horse boarding businesses and people ride. I do not so I cannot give you an informed answer.

Thank you to anyone that responds to this post, I really appreciate it! I just need to know the experiences of people that live there not just stats about NH on Google lol.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:17 AM

18 posts, read 20,202 times
Thank you everyone for taking your time to respond to my very long post!! I had a feeling the 62k income wasn't just for anyone and was going to be limited to educational background. I really love what I have read about NH, and I can't see myself ever living is MA, I've met hundreds of people that move here to FL from MA and it sounds just as bad as FL as far as crime, dirty streets/parks/neighborhoods etc.

What are black flies exactly? Are they just like regular flies? Or do they bite????

I know people are judgmental everywhere, was just wondering how extreme it was where you live.

So most people commute to MA to work? I'm basically wondering is someone makes around 30k a year can they live in a safe area and still be able to afford to travel a bit? My boyfriend and I will still have family down here in FL and would prefer to be able to see them on at least 1 holiday a year.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:45 AM

176 posts, read 298,684 times
Mass has its bad spots, but also some nice ones as well, stay away from Lawrence, the worse-looking parts of Worcester, and the inner city bits of Boston and you'll be okay. NH is also experiencing a drug boom, and I fear that coupled with a new influx of out-of-state young people means it may not be as nice in the future in all parts, bits of Manchester are pretty crappy already, and we're seeing more stories of violent crime in other places, still isolated but more than I've been used to in 40 Yeats or so here.

30k will mean you will rent, not own, and either far from anything (and good luck finding rentals there, they're hard to find in general, people don't advertise), or with a rookie in Southern NH in Nashua or Manchester, which will be more urban-ish environments. Again, be prepared to sacrifice living space for drive time.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I suggest taking the time and money to fly up here and renting a car for a week to see what the place is like. I know this is expensive but it is a lot cheaper than moving into the unknown. come up and visit. I suggest very early September because the kids are back in school and the leaf peeping tourists are not clogging the roads and hotels.

Note: the tern "mean median income" is absurd. The mean income is the average determined by adding up all the incomes and dividing by the number of incomes. The median income is the income where one half of the incomes are lower. You need both numbers to get any idea about the distribution of incomes in an area. In New Hampshire we have a mean income around 30k and a median income around 60k because we have a lot of people making 20 to 40 k and many fewer make a lot more. The difference between mean and median is lower in eastern Massachusetts.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:48 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,957,605 times
its most certainly not a humid cold like the Florida cold you are thinking of. I can assure you its cold, dry, bitter hurts to breath and hurts you joints cold. Cracked lips dry skin cold.... From someone whos from Florida and did the Fl to NH thing I can assure you its a cold you have never experienced before cold. And no, adding more layers doesn't help. There's a point where its so cold it just hurts and more layers just make you more bulky. People who experienced the cold as a kid, or are acclimated do not understand the effects it has on someone like you and me who think "cold" is low 60's in our winter.. Maybe 50's... For them a warm front in the winter is the 30's.. I can remember days with temps at -22 with windchill.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:21 AM

48 posts, read 79,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
its most certainly not a humid cold like the Florida cold you are thinking of. I can assure you its cold, dry, bitter hurts to breath and hurts you joints cold. Cracked lips dry skin cold.... From someone whos from Florida and did the Fl to NH thing I can assure you its a cold you have never experienced before cold. And no, adding more layers doesn't help. There's a point where its so cold it just hurts and more layers just make you more bulky. People who experienced the cold as a kid, or are acclimated do not understand the effects it has on someone like you and me who think "cold" is low 60's in our winter.. Maybe 50's... For them a warm front in the winter is the 30's.. I can remember days with temps at -22 with windchill.
Lol, it's not that bad. It is dry, and if you don't use chapstick your lips might crack eventually, and it helps to run a humidifier in your bedroom to keep your skin from drying out. Layers do help, as long as you do it intelligently and your outer layer is waterproof.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:58 AM

611 posts, read 1,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Layers do help...that is if they are proper layers. And I am originally from the South and then spent my teenage years on in a mild climate. I would recommend doing some research on winter wear. You do want proper attire even for running to the grocery store in the winter. I still generally trudge from the parking lot to the hospital in my scrub pants (of course with winter boots, hat, gloves and coat). If anyone has ever worn a pair, you know they are very thin and the winds cuts right through them. I do work with some people who will put on winter outwear over the top of their scrubs just to go to their car, though.

When I am going to spend any time outdoors, I usually have a thermal base layer, sweater, and then my winter coat which has 2 layers. I'll usually wear ski pants over thermals and of course hat and gloves. Wool socks are a must in the winter. If you have long hair, remember to dry it completely before going out in the winter...it will freeze instantly Also, those cheap gloves you get on line in the gas station or Walmart are pretty well useless. Quality winter wear isn't cheap, but you'll be glad for the extra money you spent come January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire