Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 11:04 AM

219 posts, read 366,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Shaheen votes 99% the way her masters tell her.
I have seen this statement in multiple locations but never sourced. Do you have a link to a reliable, nonpartisan source?

If true, she needs to go. How can two people agree on anything 99% of the time? I don't agree with myself 99% of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 12:48 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,617 times
lol the UNH poll that had Romney tied with Obama right before the election? Looks like Brown's in for that Romney-style victory!

Old 08-25-2014, 01:43 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
lol the UNH poll that had Romney tied with Obama right before the election? Looks like Brown's in for that Romney-style victory!
The UNH/WMUR poll the day before the 2012 election had Obama 51 Romney 48. Nice try.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:31 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
Jeanne Shaheen - votes 97% with her party. Note that the top 41 Senators voting with their party are all Democrats.

Ayotte votes with her party 85% of the time:
113th Senate - U.S. Congress Votes Database - The Washington Post

When he was in the Senate, Brown voted with the Republicans 66% of the time:
112th Senate - U.S. Congress Votes Database - The Washington Post

Old 08-25-2014, 04:42 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge1 View Post
Mitt Romney and John McCain are too conservative? That's news to everyone, including them
McCain was moderate when he ran, but he was cursed by having to distance himself from Bush (and increasing voter unhappiness with Iraq/Afghanistan) AND at the same time draw conservatives, particularly religious conservatives to the polls. That was going to be a hard task no matter what he did.

The gamble he took was pulling in Palin to use the VP slot to speak to the base, which she certainly did, but there's no question it cost him the moderates, and possibly the WH. Arguably McCain has been more conservative since 2008, but that's a) at least somewhat subjective, and b) not directly relevant to his WH campaign.

It's hard to say if Romney is conservative or not - certainly the R. primary forced everyone to compete to the right, and then he tried to tack back to center for Nov. He's a bit of a chameleon - it's hard to know what he actually believes, and what is purely political strategy. I don't think anyone can predict how he actually would have governed.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:48 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Jeanne Shaheen - votes 97% with her party. Note that the top 41 Senators voting with their party are all Democrats.
To be fair, one should point out that the current Senate doesn't bring particularly many bills to the floor. So there's little action regardless of who's voting for what.

Moreover, considering the Dems control the Senate (and bills that are controversial face filibuster/cloture), this breakout is pretty much what you'd expect. If you flipped the script and had a Repub. majority, and the same cloture/filibuster trend, bills that made it to the floor would tend to have near-unanimous approval on the R side and high to middlin' support from the minority party.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:00 PM

276 posts, read 448,461 times
I saw a perplexing bumper sticker on a Massachusetts car today: "I'm a Scott Brown Republican". What on earth does that mean?

Old 08-25-2014, 08:04 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
To be fair, one should point out that the current Senate doesn't bring particularly many bills to the floor. So there's little action regardless of who's voting for what.

Moreover, considering the Dems control the Senate (and bills that are controversial face filibuster/cloture), this breakout is pretty much what you'd expect. If you flipped the script and had a Repub. majority, and the same cloture/filibuster trend, bills that made it to the floor would tend to have near-unanimous approval on the R side and high to middlin' support from the minority party.
You can check the House of Representatives on the same site. The Republicans have the majority yet it is the Democrats that are more likely to vote in lockstep:
113th House - U.S. Congress Votes Database - The Washington Post

Past years are also available. It goes back over 10 years...

Old 08-26-2014, 07:21 AM

152 posts, read 134,551 times
I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said: "I'm not racist I also hate Biden".

Quote:
I saw a perplexing bumper sticker on a Massachusetts car today: "I'm a Scott Brown Republican". What on earth does that mean?

Old 08-26-2014, 09:30 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,150 times
Quote:
It means it was a woman who thinks Scott Brown is hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire