Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 01:50 PM

866 posts, read 2,616,910 times

Advertisements

I also posted in the Vermont forum, but my husband and I are considering moving to Vermont or New Hampshire within a few years, as we expect that our jobs will become 100% telework. We would be able to live anywhere, so jobs and salary are not an issue. We would like to build a house somewhere with a mountain view.

I really prefer Vermont (looking at the Waterbury/Stowe area), but he likes New Hampshire, especially the area north of Franconia and Littleton, for the views of the White Mountains (towns like Dalton, Whitefield, etc.). My concern about living there is that we might feel isolated and be limited in our options for shopping, dining, groceries, and a good tavern or two. We don't need a whole lot of entertainment, but it's nice to go out for dinner every once in a while and also be able to do some social things and buy good groceries, etc. I like the North Conway/Jackson area, but land is expensive there.

Also, we are two guys, and I've read some negative things about the conservative parts of the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. If we chose New Hampshire, would living in a rural part of the state close to Vermont's NEK be a concern for a gay couple? Or do people in New Hampshire really tend to mind their own business?

Thanks in advance for any input or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 02:23 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,527,007 times
I'd go Vermont they tend to lean towards your condition

Old 08-26-2014, 02:49 PM

3,668 posts, read 7,353,757 times
NH would be preferable from a tax standpoint.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:57 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,584,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
QED?

VT isn't exactly cheap. While I haven't priced the Conway area lately (what about Fryeburg ME?) I'm surprised you're seeing lower prices in appealing places in VT.

More broadly VTs mountains are lower and treed. VT has 5 '4,000 footers' and no 5,000 footers - NH has roughly 20 peaks taller than Mansfield, with Mt. Washington being almost 50% taller. So it depends on what sort of views you're looking for. NH wins on rocky/majestic, hands down.

While I don't agree with Dave's sentiment, I do agree that I'd probably look at VT first. Coming from the south shore either place is going to be culture shock, but northern NH in general is likely to be a bit moreso. Why not somewhere over in the Rumney/Lyme area closer to Hanover? Not that I'm an expert on either of those towns, but they make a more obvious jumping off point to pop into Hanover and/or Plymouth for said dining as NH goes.

Also, if you telecommute, you'll want to be very deliberate about looking at connectivity. That may rule out some of the smaller towns, but even in a bigger town like Littleton I could see service being a bit limited/spotty.

I'd be curious to see where exactly in VT you're looking by comparison. So I guess I'll pop over there.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:21 PM

176 posts, read 297,128 times
If you live in NW Vermont, you'll do just fine, be near Burlington for stuff to do, but still be able to find open spaces. The Mountains aren't much in that area, but it may suit better. Northern NH is very sparsely populated, and there are areas you can drive for twenty minutes to get to the nearest cross road that's not dirt. Hyperbole aside, NW Vermont will be a bit less isolated and provide for more entertainment, will be a place you'd feel less looked down upon for your gayness, and, if you fall in line statistically, will have politics that fit in more with your beliefs.

And FYI, good land in Stowe is going to cost arms and legs of your whole extended family, and you will likely be snobbed out of town on a Gucci rail.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:44 PM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,008,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
I'm not quite sure what CD is alluding to, but being a gay couple is not at all a problem in NH. I don't think that we'll have any gay pride parades anytime soon, but no one cares what goes on behind closed doors.

My boyfriend and I are atheists in an interracial relationship where I am 23 years older than he is. No one has raised any eyebrows at us in NH. We are friends with a long term gay couple in town and they are very happy in NH. One was recently voted in as a member in the town planning board.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:54 AM

866 posts, read 2,616,910 times
Thanks to those who gave advice and pointed out some things to consider. Internet connectivity and being close to an airport would be fairly important. And for the record, I do not have any conditions.

We realize that land in Stowe is quite expensive, but prices are considerably lower in the surrounding towns like Morristown and Elmore.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:28 AM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,008,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
Thanks to those who gave advice and pointed out some things to consider. Internet connectivity and being close to an airport would be fairly important. And for the record, I do not have any conditions.

We realize that land in Stowe is quite expensive, but prices are considerably lower in the surrounding towns like Morristown and Elmore.
Haha! Trust me, CD has more "conditions" than you do. Seriously, you and your spouse would be accepted anywhere in NH. You're not going to be welcomed with open arms, but then again no one is. Just be yourselves and low key about it (like everyone else is) and you'll do fine.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:50 AM

47,835 posts, read 21,870,215 times
My partner and I had no trouble with acceptance in Maine, New Hampshire or now in Southern Florida. The northern regions of NH are very remote...but in the summer there are lots of tourists all over NH.....I like the sugar hill area just above the Village of Franconia--between summer tourists and skiers....there are lots of good restaurants and watering holes. Mt Washington Valley is another beautiful area. (Personally I wouldn't choose to live there...but it is beautiful.)

The area around Colebrook NH is less "lively" and less to do.....and pretty provincial.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:52 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,584,971 times
You could split the difference and look around White River Junction. In VT, but somewhere that was a compromise - close to NH/Hanover/Quechee to have access to dining/shopping, but just far enough out to have the price you're looking for. And on the whole a pretty scenic area on its own.

But I do think you'd be happier one way or the other basing in the vicinity of Burlington or Hanover. Berlin may be cheaper, but there's a reason it's cheaper, and even the meccas of BurVT/HanNH will almost certainly feel remote to you, particularly come winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire