Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 09:28 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The Right Wing politics have driven taxes to the towns with their very regressive property tax base. The really wealthy in NH have kept out any hint of, except for the genius dividends and interest tax on the retired folk, and sales taxes on our tourist guests, a general, let alone high deductible, income tax that might have them paying their fair share. We are also "right to work" for as little as they can pay state.

So New Hampshire is an expensive place for people working for a living and a paradise for the wealthy.
Yeah the "right to work" also means employers potentially working the workers many more hours for no additional compensation or right to fire for a feeble reason(s).

A shame that the pay doesn't catch up to the COL like many other "right to work" states like SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 11:21 AM

611 posts, read 1,205,028 times
Pay in SC is pretty low. My family lives there and carved out a living just like most people here...by being frugal and practical.
OTH, I was just talking to a coworker who said she took an $8/hr pay cut when she left her job in MA and took one in NH. She said that when she crunched the numbers, with the income tax MA was hitting her with, it was really only a $2/hr pay cut. She had to commute there, so she actually was breaking even. New England is not cheap though, but you can make a living here.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:47 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady fern View Post
I was just talking to a coworker who said she took an $8/hr pay cut when she left her job in MA and took one in NH. She said that when she crunched the numbers, with the income tax MA was hitting her with, it was really only a $2/hr pay cut. She had to commute there, so she actually was breaking even.
Mass income tax is 5.25%. She must be doing quite well (like $249,000/yr) to save $6/hr ($12,480/yr) at 5.25%.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:33 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady fern View Post
Pay in SC is pretty low. My family lives there and carved out a living just like most people here...by being frugal and practical.
OTH, I was just talking to a coworker who said she took an $8/hr pay cut when she left her job in MA and took one in NH. She said that when she crunched the numbers, with the income tax MA was hitting her with, it was really only a $2/hr pay cut. She had to commute there, so she actually was breaking even. New England is not cheap though, but you can make a living here.
Yeah SC pay scale is pretty low as I was researching that state for my relocation but for obvious reasons fizzled out fast.

NE is not cheap but compared to NJ?............................, lol!

Old 09-08-2014, 04:36 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Thumbs down Livefree (of forced dues payment) or die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Yeah the "right to work" also means employers potentially working the workers many more hours for no additional compensation or right to fire for a feeble reason(s). A shame that the pay doesn't catch up to the COL like many other "right to work" states like SC.
I've worked in a "union shop" in a state with no "right to work" law, and I'm much happier here, where I can't be forced to join a union, nor forced to pay union dues as a non-member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The Right Wing politics have driven taxes to the towns with their very regressive property tax base. The really wealthy in NH have kept out any hint of, except for the genius dividends and interest tax on the retired folk, and sales taxes on our tourist guests, a general, let alone high deductible, income tax that might have them paying their fair share. We are also "right to work" for as little as they can pay state.

So New Hampshire is an expensive place for people working for a living and a paradise for the wealthy.
Not really a paradise for the wealthy. Wealth means income from dividends and interest, so you get hit by that "genius" 5% tax, bringing your tax situation close to MA's general income tax.

Nobody is forcing you to live in a town with unreasonably high valuations or rates. But without "right to work", I can be forced to join/pay a union unless I want to choose a different career entirely.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:14 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
Mass income tax is 5.25%. She must be doing quite well (like $249,000/yr) to save $6/hr ($12,480/yr) at 5.25%.
Yeah, you're right. The income tax probably only ate into about $2/hr because she definitely wasn't making $249K ! Maybe she had added in parking fees or other hidden fees that she wasn't disclosing to me. Either way, I'd be willing to take a pay cut to not have to deal with the Boston area traffic.

I'd be ok with right to work states if the federal government didn't require unions to represent employees who weren't paying dues to the same extent that they represent dues paying members. I've worked in both union and non-union facilities. So far I made a fair amount more money in the union facilities and the amount I paid in dues didn't even begin to make a dent in the difference in pay. I don't really like being told what to do though, so I can see the issues with the closed shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire