Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 12:17 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
So much for personal freedom and liberty.
Are you saying that NH doesn't need LEO's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 12:22 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Are you saying that NH doesn't need LEO's?
You're delusional if you think tinted windows make for an unsafe work environment for LEOs.

92% of the country agrees with me.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:18 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
You're delusional if you think tinted windows make for an unsafe work environment for LEOs.

92% of the country agrees with me.
And of that 92%, what percentage of those are LEOs?

I'd much rather have a less paranoid LEO walking up to my car because he can clearly see that I alone and not making any suspicious movements. I don't understand what is so difficult to understand about that.

Anyway, I don't mind NH having laws. I'd rather NH become some magnet for everyone trying to avoid living by any laws or rules. If you love NH being rural and underpopulated, you should feel the same way. There is no perfect state to live in and popular destinations are only rewarded with more idiots moving there, more construction and higher real estate prices and then more taxes to support the infrastructure for all those extra people, especially if they have school age children. So if our window tinting laws make living in NH undesirable to move to, then I am all for supporting that law.

Otherwise, I am having terrible memories of the ghetto Japanese ricer car shows in the Boston area with the heavy window tints, loud stereos systems and slammed suspensions ruining the cars' camber... and I want none of that for NH.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:12 PM

540 posts, read 589,188 times
Quote:
LEOs can be targets, so why would they want to be easier targets for the bad guys? I can understand why they'd want to look more intimidating. We are past the era of Mayberry RFD type cops.

And heavy window tinting to me smacks of silly vanity and being unnecessarily flashy, and NH is wonderful for being laid back and people just not going around trying to impress others.
Notice I never once said anything about looks, vanity or impressing people..
I did it purely to keep the harmful UV rays and intense heat from scorching my interior. When my car is parked outside of the hospital where I work for 12 solid hours in the middle of summer when it's 100+ degrees out it's not about vanity. It actually functional. When I had it done it seemed a little dark but after a while it's nothing crazy. I have no problem seeing out, it's way darker looking from the outside in than looking from the inside out. Now that I've had it on there for a few years I simply would hate to have it removed. If LE in Los Angeles county can handle it, I don't see why it's such a big deal to NH LE..
I'm all for a petition!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Don't read too much into it -it's just a state motto. While the state runs a bit libertarian, it's not a lawless frontier.

I mean really, you wouldn't go around flashing people in MO and then complain about your arrest on the grounds that it's supposed to be the "Show-Me State."
Ridiculous comparison

Quote:
LEOs can be targets, so why would they want to be easier targets for the bad guys? I can understand why they'd want to look more intimidating. We are past the era of Mayberry RFD type cops.

And heavy window tinting to me smacks of silly vanity and being unnecessarily flashy, and NH is wonderful for being laid back and people just not going around trying to impress others.
Are there even any bad guys in NH? LOL
I thought it was one of the safest states to live in the nation..
In any case, all LEO approach suspect cars with caution and receive extensive training on how to handle those situations. Tint or not, a person in any vehicle can be up to no good, or have weapon on their lap or within easy reach and able to do harm if they really want to.
Isn't it live and let live?
Tint on a car seems to carry less risk than allowing people to carry a firearm. What's the big deal honestly?

Last edited by Yac; 09-08-2014 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 09-04-2014, 05:20 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,816 times
Quote:

I'd much rather have a less paranoid LEO walking up to my car because he can clearly see that I alone and not making any suspicious movements. I don't understand what is so difficult to understand about that.

Anyway, I don't mind NH having laws. I'd rather NH become some magnet for everyone trying to avoid living by any laws or rules. If you love NH being rural and underpopulated, you should feel the same way. There is no perfect state to live in and popular destinations are only rewarded with more idiots moving there, more construction and higher real estate prices and then more taxes to support the infrastructure for all those extra people, especially if they have school age children. So if our window tinting laws make living in NH undesirable to move to, then I am all for supporting that law.

Otherwise, I am having terrible memories of the ghetto Japanese ricer car shows in the Boston area with the heavy window tints, loud stereos systems and slammed suspensions ruining the cars' camber... and I want none of that for NH.
You're all over the map. It's obvious your using the guise of LEO safety to push your anti-tint agenda because of "ricers in Boston" and you "think it looks stupid", lets not forget the increased crime because of tinted windows.

Your posts never cease to amaze me. Please continue to enlighten us on the work of LEOs and their concern for tinted windows in NH.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:23 PM

176 posts, read 298,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dross99_si View Post
Ridiculous comparison
I don't know, ask the Free Keeners about that, they may take time out from antagonizing meter maids to argue we should totally be free to show our bits to everyone.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:38 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dross99_si View Post
Ridiculous comparison
It was mostly a joke. But I do think people (particularly newcomers) take the motto too literally, particularly in this political era.

The more complicated issue of 'freedom' is challenging for various reasons. One is that 'freedom from' and 'freedom to' are quite often in conflict.

With public nudity, person A desires the freedom to run around nekkid; person B desires the freedom from seeing person A running around nekkid. You cannot have a freedom that simultaneously meets both ends. Certainly there are forces beyond laws that dictate behavior - morals/customs/yada yada.

That works well enough when you're talking about locals who have to live in the community, but a moral prohibition on nudity doesn't mean much when those godless heathens come down from Burlington to parade in their altogether. They don't care about your tsk tsking, and may indeed delight in it. In a 'nation of laws' even a state that expresses a value of maximizing liberty (whatever that may really mean) ends up using laws to put muscle behind what the community values.

Just bellowing "freedom!" in my opinion usually ends up being a meaningless political statement (as entertaining as it was when Mel Gibson did it) as it presumes the particular freedom (to or from) I'm interested in promoting trumps the freedom of the other people who would be impacted. And FWIW, I do think there are downsides to tinted windows on the road even though I appreciate why people want them.

Sometimes the state isn't the correct entity to enforce norms; but sometimes it is. The challenge is sorting it all out.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:47 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:

Your window should be rolled down when the LEO approaches, so I am not seeing the issue of the front side window being tinted in regard to your example.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:33 PM

540 posts, read 589,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Your window should be rolled down when the LEO approaches, so I am not seeing the issue of the front side window being tinted in regard to your example.
Yes, the best thing to do when pulled over is windows down, turn vehicle off and hands on the steering wheel where they can be seen. It's courteous and puts the LEO at ease.
Around here they're real trigger happy and you'll get shot with a quickness.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:34 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,653 times
I really liked my tinted windows when I lived in FL. NH turned over knife laws, and I wouldn't be surprised if this law was overturned at some point. I knew a few LEO's in FL, and they stop vehicles with tint probably everyday in FL. FWIW, I don't recall any of them ever making a big deal about tint, in fact at least 2 I knew had tint on their personal cars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire