Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 06:40 PM

56 posts, read 180,813 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have a 7 year old daughter who contracted Lyme back in July. She was treated by a doctor in CA as we were living there at the time. She was given 7 weeks of antibiotics but when she was retested in November, she came up as still positive. We are now in New Hampshire (yah!!!!)- the Merrimack area, and I am hoping someone out there has a recommendation for a good doctor who is knowlegable about Lyme. I am very scared and would appreciate any help anyone can give me. I am obviously willing to drive to where ever I need to go. Thank you so so much!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 06:48 PM

240 posts, read 470,584 times
I don't know of NH, but Children's Hospital in Boston is a great hospital.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:59 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
Hi baobob girl

I'm sorry to read of your daughter's diagnosis, especially since it's showing as being difficult to clear. Is her positive test a Western Lyme Blot IgG or IgM? Do you know which band(s) came back positive? It takes a doctor who really knows Lyme to order the right tests, interpret the results and prescribe the best antibiotics for that particular infection. From what I understand, some bands will remain positive even if there is no active infection. My daughter's pediatrician needed to fight with the laboratory to run Western Lyme Blot even tho the ELISA came back negative, and then referred us to a highly regarded Lyme literate doctor.

Unfortunately, although they're finally admitting that Lyme has reached epidemic proportions The CDC is still recommending the ELISA test to be run first, even tho research shows that at least 30% of positive cases test negative with ELISA. In addition to the positive test result, is she still symptomatic? And when she was on antiobiotics, did your doctor recommend a good probiotic? (don't bother with the stuff at CVS, etc) A Market (http://www.amarketnaturalfoods.com) in Manchester NH has a very knowlegable staff to help select the right supplements.

Some of the best Lyme-literate doctors are here on the East coast, and I'll PM with more info if you're interested. Living with Lyme Disease isn't easy, and as you're discovering, in many cases you need to retreat, sometimes repeatedly. My daughter has been on and off antibiotics for nearly 5 years (symptom-free for 11 months!) but each bout of Lyme symptoms seems to get easier, maybe because we DO know which symptoms to watch for. As you've probably experienced, painful knees might be one of the best known symptoms, but certainly not the only one...

Unfortunately, because Lyme Disease can be so difficult and expensive to treat, many doctors who do treat aggressively are being targeted by insurance companies (who have the backing of state medical boards) and have lost their license to practice, leaving many patients without a doctor. For this reason, many Lyme patients and/or their parents are in the habit of NOT giving names on any public website. This little posting has turned into a novel so I'll end it here. If you ever need to vent or ask questions about Lyme, feel free to get in touch. I know how difficult this road can be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baobob girl View Post
Hi. I have a 7 year old daughter who contracted Lyme back in July. She was treated by a doctor in CA as we were living there at the time. She was given 7 weeks of antibiotics but when she was retested in November, she came up as still positive. We are now in New Hampshire (yah!!!!)- the Merrimack area, and I am hoping someone out there has a recommendation for a good doctor who is knowlegable about Lyme. I am very scared and would appreciate any help anyone can give me. I am obviously willing to drive to where ever I need to go. Thank you so so much!!!!

Last edited by Valerie C; 12-26-2007 at 10:08 PM..

Old 01-31-2008, 08:45 PM

10 posts, read 59,524 times
Lymenet.org is the place to go for doctors and help. I also have Lyme disease and it is hard to treat, expensive, and unfortunately, many times, it comes with co-infections, which many of us have, also., but you will need a Lyme Literate doctor, and there are so few around. Check out "Seeking a Doctor" at the site, and you can post a request for a Lyme doctor in your area.

All the best.

Last edited by windsong; 01-31-2008 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 08-04-2008, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 26,937 times
Does any one know a good doctor for lyme disease in los angeles, california.

Please i need a referral for my daughter. Please email me

[mod] no posting email addresses [/mod] if you know any good doctor.

Thanks,

Last edited by Suzet2262; 08-05-2008 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: posted email address

Old 08-05-2008, 05:34 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
Unhappy no doctor name discusion please...

fifi25, I would suggest that you find a local Lyme support group in your area, start attending meetings, and find a recommendation for a Lyme-literate doctor that way. Lyme doctor's names shouldn't be discussed in an anonymous forum, which sounds a little cloak and dagger, but it's unfortunatey necessary. Because Lyme Disease can be so difficult and expensive to treat, many doctors who do treat Lyme aggressively are being targeted by insurance companies, who have the backing of state medical boards. Some very good and valuable doctors have lost their license to practice, leaving many patients without a doctor. For this reason, many Lyme patients and/or their parents are in the habit of NOT giving names on any public website. Maybe you can find some help through one or more of these websites:

Lyme Disease Support Groups (support groups listed by state)

Lyme Disease Association, Inc. - Doctor Referrals (http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/Doctor_Referrals.html - broken link) (you'll need to register to get a referral)

The Lyme Disease Network Support Groups Listing (scroll down to see the list--quite a few!)

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/ABCsLYME.pdf (broken link) (print this out-excellent for use in school, 504 meetings, etc)

If you ever need to vent or ask questions about Lyme, feel free to get in touch. I know how difficult this road can be. I have a daughter who was diagnosed with Chronic Lyme Disease nearly 5 years ago. I wish you all the best...

Old 08-05-2008, 07:15 PM

56 posts, read 180,813 times
When we lived in CA, we found Dr. Jeff Harris in Malibu. He works with many lyme cases and was very helpful for us. He is right near the shopping center with the Ralphs and Coogies restaurant on PCH. Good luck to you.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 29,646 times
Default great Dr.

I highly recommend DR. Bert Matheison a ND. In Bedford N.h. My daughter got diagnosed after so many Drs.Not knowing what it was. Any questions e-mail me b.gallien@hotmail.com

Old 07-24-2009, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 23,420 times
hi, i was treated for lyme over 10 years ago in florida.i still had symptoms and was then diagnosed with chronic fatigue ,after moving to n.h. i asked to be tested and my western blot showed bands that were positive and was sent to a infecious disease doc which said i didn't have it. i need a lyme literate doc! anyone out there that can help?

Old 03-01-2012, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 14,321 times
Default Lyme Literate doctor in NH

Dr. Bert Mathieson at New Hampshire Natural health clinic in Bedford is ILADS trained and Lyme Literate. 603-623-6800. He is an ND so insurance doesn't cover him yet in NH but he has saved a lot of Lyme patients!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Hi baobob girl

I'm sorry to read of your daughter's diagnosis, especially since it's showing as being difficult to clear. Is her positive test a Western Lyme Blot IgG or IgM? Do you know which band(s) came back positive? It takes a doctor who really knows Lyme to order the right tests, interpret the results and prescribe the best antibiotics for that particular infection. From what I understand, some bands will remain positive even if there is no active infection. My daughter's pediatrician needed to fight with the laboratory to run Western Lyme Blot even tho the ELISA came back negative, and then referred us to a highly regarded Lyme literate doctor.

Unfortunately, although they're finally admitting that Lyme has reached epidemic proportions The CDC is still recommending the ELISA test to be run first, even tho research shows that at least 30% of positive cases test negative with ELISA. In addition to the positive test result, is she still symptomatic? And when she was on antiobiotics, did your doctor recommend a good probiotic? (don't bother with the stuff at CVS, etc) A Market ([URL="http://www.amarketnaturalfoods.com"]A Market - WG - Home Page[/URL]) in Manchester NH has a very knowlegable staff to help select the right supplements.

Some of the best Lyme-literate doctors are here on the East coast, and I'll PM with more info if you're interested. Living with Lyme Disease isn't easy, and as you're discovering, in many cases you need to retreat, sometimes repeatedly. My daughter has been on and off antibiotics for nearly 5 years (symptom-free for 11 months!) but each bout of Lyme symptoms seems to get easier, maybe because we DO know which symptoms to watch for. As you've probably experienced, painful knees might be one of the best known symptoms, but certainly not the only one...

Unfortunately, because Lyme Disease can be so difficult and expensive to treat, many doctors who do treat aggressively are being targeted by insurance companies (who have the backing of state medical boards) and have lost their license to practice, leaving many patients without a doctor. For this reason, many Lyme patients and/or their parents are in the habit of NOT giving names on any public website. This little posting has turned into a novel so I'll end it here. If you ever need to vent or ask questions about Lyme, feel free to get in touch. I know how difficult this road can be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire