Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 08:59 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,531,802 times

Advertisements

How much should I expect to pay a chimney service to check the chimney. and if it needs cleaning what is the average cost.. also any of you burn duralogs or their counterparts instead of wood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 09:55 PM

813 posts, read 1,267,733 times
Crown Chimney did a free inspection for me when I needed work done. I ended up going with them, and their service was excellent. They were detailed, left everything clean, and did good work. I did not have a cleaning done on the chimney, I needed it to be lined and repointed, so I cannot speak to prices.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:09 PM

140 posts, read 356,630 times
When I lived in New London, I burned about 3 cords a year. I considered an annual cleaning part of the cost of heat. I used "The Village Sweep", Rick Estes, proprietor. I had a 2 story colonial and Rick climbed up and shoved the brush down, then he went in the crawl space and emptied the cleanout. i believe the cost was about $120, If you don't burn 24/7 for four months like I did, you might get away with cleaning less often. A modern EPA approved wood stove leaves less creosote than an older one, like before 1980.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:11 PM

140 posts, read 356,630 times
Oh, and duralogs should NEVER be used in a wood stove for heat. In an open fireplace it's an easy way to have a fire for ambiance.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:09 AM

346 posts, read 356,193 times
I always clean my own chimney, but I think it's around $100. you might consider a stainless liner for your chimney, it makes cleaning easier and in the case of a chimney fire way safer. Hearth.com has lots of good information on wood heating. We use two Woodstock stoves and love the even heat plus they're made in NH. We cut our wood use almost in half when we switched from our old stoves. No I don't work for Woodstock, just love their products.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the info Rainbow, since they are just down the road I shall give Crown a call Monday.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:52 PM

4,564 posts, read 5,630,018 times
Thumbs up Compressed pure wood logs are fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
also any of you burn duralogs or their counterparts instead of wood?
Unlike the waxy fake DuraFlame products, there are several very good '100% wood' alternative logs/bricks (Like pellet stove pellets writ large) available which are fine to burn in a fireplace or most wood stoves. I like the fakes because you can (must) store them indoors, so consistent moisture content and no bugs.

Quality brands available in NH include CanaWick, EcoBrick, BioBrick, etc. You can buy small packages of logs at Tractor Supply and similar stores, but if you want to go all in, order by the 1 ton pallet.

Quote:
Hearth.com has lots of good information on wood heating.
Definitely the place to go for wood stove/fireplace/insert advice.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Unlike the waxy fake DuraFlame products, there are several very good '100% wood' alternative logs/bricks (Like pellet stove pellets writ large) available which are fine to burn in a fireplace or most wood stoves. I like the fakes because you can (must) store them indoors, so consistent moisture content and no bugs.

Quality brands available in NH include CanaWick, EcoBrick, BioBrick, etc. You can buy small packages of logs at Tractor Supply and similar stores, but if you want to go all in, order by the 1 ton pallet.

Definitely the place to go for wood stove/fireplace/insert advice.

Good to know..thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: