U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2007, 11:18 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,626,453 times

Advertisements

Does anyone make the trek to Times Square for New Years?? When we move out to Keene, that is one thing we have on our list of many things to do. I dont know if I will be able to handle the crowd though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 07:31 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,183,827 times
I've never done that but always wanted to, it looks like a blast!! That would be an awesome trip!

Old 12-29-2007, 11:45 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,780,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Does anyone make the trek to Times Square for New Years?? When we move out to Keene, that is one thing we have on our list of many things to do. I dont know if I will be able to handle the crowd though.
Suzet - we lived about 90 miles from NYC/Times Square when we were in NYS. You could not have paid me enough to go there for New Year's Eve! Some of our friends went down one year and said that was enough for them, never again. Too much of a "sardine feeling." We have always watched the festivities on television and that was enough for us <g>.

While the crowd and "sardine feeling" MAY give you a problem, with your panic disorder, I suspect if you do go, you will be too caught up in the excitement to have a major problem. There will be plenty of opportunities to "people watch" and enjoy the "vibe" and plenty of distractions for you and you'll be fine. Once you get to Keene, if you do go to NYC, you'll have to report back on your experience!

Old 12-29-2007, 05:04 PM

215 posts, read 552,312 times
I went there many years ago. The crowds were unbelievable. I had my pocket picked, and (my then) wife (now divorced), was gropped by some creep. I would never go there again and that was a long time ago.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:53 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,036,048 times
Quote:
While the crowd and "sardine feeling" MAY give you a problem, with your panic disorder, I suspect if you do go, you will be too caught up in the excitement to have a major problem.
Yes, the above quote was said perfectly, you do feel like a sardine.
I went one year, and I was a few blocks away, and it felt like that. When the ball dropped you were all literally pulled to the nearest subway station. I was with about 8 people and we had to form a human chain not to lose anyone in the rush. LOL

Old 12-30-2007, 02:26 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,626,453 times
Wow, being gropped, pick pocketed, being crushed like a sardine That makes me kinda anxious thinkin about all that. Maybe I will skip it and just watch Dick Clarks' ringin in the New Year..haha. Or maybe we could get bunch of us and go. We will have our own human chain. Or better yet, get a hotel right there in Times Square and watch from the window. Dare, you wanna come?? Lol.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:39 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,780,373 times
Quote:
Wow, being gropped, pick pocketed, being crushed like a sardine That makes me kinda anxious thinkin about all that. Maybe I will skip it and just watch Dick Clarks' ringin in the New Year..haha. Or maybe we could get bunch of us and go. We will have our own human chain. Or better yet, get a hotel right there in Times Square and watch from the window. Dare, you wanna come?? Lol.
If it's from a hotel room - yes...otherwise no way!

Old 12-30-2007, 05:58 AM

60 posts, read 328,235 times
I live 30 miles from the city - almost close enough to HEAR the noise and racket ! LOL

While I go to NYC all the time, I've only dared to go out on New Years Eve once, and that was because our wealthy cousin from out west visited and puchased tickets (for all of us) to a famous comedy club, right in the middle of Times Square. The tickets were around $300 each, but the benefit? We were allowed to enter a "roped-off" section of Times Square to view the ball drop at midnight. The masses of crowds were outside the rope, so we had plenty of room to walk around, do whatever, and the ball literally dropped right in front of us!

However, given the likelihood that I will never run into such fortune again, I can fairly say that I would never do it again...the regular way

Old 12-30-2007, 07:32 AM

240 posts, read 410,069 times
Quote:
Hey suzet,

I like your new years greetings picture, quite elegant!

My girlfriend went last year, said it was way too crowded. She said she was glad she experienced it, but it was mobbed there and won't be back.

When you move to Keene, you should check out Boston's 1st nite celebration. You would enjoy it. It's close to home and safe and family atmosphere.

Again, love your twinkle picture, HAPPY NEW YEARS!

Old 12-30-2007, 10:16 PM

4,635 posts, read 13,030,107 times
We've been to Boston's 1st Night a couple of times (of course we go the years that it's below zero--I think last year was something like 45 degrees, and all the ice sculptures melted! Anyway, it's great fun to walk around the city, duck into various places to see dance shows, singing chorus', acrobat shows, you name it. It's gotten more family friendly in the past decade as well. A button is a bargain, I think $10-$20, a real bargain. Public transportation's the way to go- you don't want to try to park in the city!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo08 View Post

When you move to Keene, you should check out Boston's 1st nite celebration. You would enjoy it. It's close to home and safe and family atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire