Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 03:18 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
nhnut (I can't remember you name LOL) - St. Johnsbury Academy is indeed a private school. They accept a lot of day students. About 700 day students and 300 boarding students.
I ment that with all the local towns kids going there it really isn't a private school atmosphere usually private schools hold there students to higher standards to get addmitted St. J acadamy does not if you come from Monroe StJ. or the 1 or 2 other towns that send there kids there, you just have to be from that town. It's still a good school its just not run like a true private school would be, as far as who they accept. There are 2 towns in NH that send the kids there Monroe and 1 more I just can't think of the other towns name. But regardless the incomming students from the local towns don't have to go through a referal and worry about not being accepted by them because they don't meet the school standards as lond as they live where they live than it is considered by tthe school they meet the standards that the tuition students must prove they meet.Acording to my 2 cousins that go there now as well as the 5 that have graduated from there this creates "static" between locals and tuition students and has for some time .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 06:15 PM

123 posts, read 553,389 times
Hi. I just read your post-though old I will reply.

I live in North Conway and have for a few years. I went to college for Hospitality, so I guess it was natural for me to move here since I am from the Northern part of NH.

It is okay as far as living goes. I do not have children, as I am only 24, but I do know lots of people that have children that go to Kennett High School. I have heard very negative things about Kennett. Though they just build a brand new structure and all. They do have a HIGH drop out rate, and they recently implemented new programs to get kids to stay in school and such things-so they are working on it. But, there is a lot of trouble, violence and harrassment that goes on at that school. I am sure it has it's strong points as well and it does seem they are working on getting kids to stay in school.

The area itself is fun, I work in the industry in which people flourish here for but it has its' busy times and its slow times. The busy times are frustrating because you can not ever get where you need to without getting into a traffic jam, and the bypass road they made to avoid the congestion of route 16 was just all redone and well, now everyone knows about it. They just built a Lowe's and a Home Depot, A whole new plaza with Mattress Giant, Coldstone Creamery, etc and are currently building another one but no one knows what will be within. Christmas Tree Shops is being built as we speak also.

The biggest downfall is home prices, and income. Pay can be decent here, but it is mostly tourism jobs so it does tap off at a rather low wage depending what you do. About $11-12 an hour is starting pay for what I do. (Supervisory, Front Desk at a Resort). Home prices are really high considering the pay in the area. I am stuck in an apartment because I cannot afford $250k for a decent 3 bedroom stick built home, and prefer to not live in a mobile home park. Rent here is even pretty high depending. My one bedroom is almost $700 a month.

Though, people in Southern, NH probably would laugh at those prices and say those are great prices, but they have better paying jobs. I have been doing lots of research into moving to North Carolina, and their home prices seem much more in-tune to wages.

I do not know much about Littleton, though growing up it was instilled in me that it was kind of 'ghetto'. But hey, so isn't the town I grew up in and moved out of... so...

I know it is tough to move to a different state, which is why I have not ventured yet despite the fact that it is truly what I want someday. Move to North Carolina and go back to college for a more lucrative career. I cannot do such in New Hampshire because with $25k in student loans as it is, and Per Credit college costs being upwards of $200/credit plus other fees, it is impossible to even fathom returning to school in this state.

Good Luck!

Old 12-12-2007, 10:37 AM

37 posts, read 160,562 times
hello..can you please tell me if those from Monroe who wish to attend St. Johnsbury are basically accepted providing they meet the application requirements?

Thanks.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:41 AM

37 posts, read 160,562 times
Isn't this the problem with the ACLU..? The people vote, and they use the judiciary to undermine the will of the people. I remain convinced that the ACLU is nothing but a legal mechanism to undermine the American heritage and Constitution. It has attacked our traditions and the Christian faith in particular.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:22 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times
Yes...Monroe kids can go to St. Johnsbury. In fact, most do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire