Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 07:30 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,508,421 times

Advertisements

Is the waste removal done by the city / county?

how does it work? How many days a week is there trash pickup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 07:35 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,901,735 times
Where you at?

Many area of NH, you take your trash to the "Dump" (A trash Transfer station),

Old 10-27-2014, 08:07 PM

I'm not a resident - thinking about it though and have heard about no trash service. Just wanted to confirm. So no where in NH has trash pickup?

Old 10-27-2014, 08:11 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,901,735 times
My Sisters in Nashua have city trash service, Once a week, (also recycle)

My Dad in Amherst, takes his to the "Dump", There is a private service that does do few home in his Sub/Division. But Its a guys with a Big Pickup Truck, not like a garbage truck.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
My Sisters in Nashua have city trash service, Once a week, (also recycle)

My Dad in Amherst, takes his to the "Dump", There is a private service that does do few home in his Sub/Division. But Its a guys with a Big Pickup Truck, not like a garbage truck.
thanks for the info

Old 10-27-2014, 08:20 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,892,166 times
Some towns have trash pick-up, others don't. I am in Londondery and we have trash and recycling pickup. Derry, Auburn and Chester do not. Residents can pay a hauler to come pick up trash once a week, or residents can transport their trash to the dump um transfer station. It's a town-by-town thing, not state-wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I'm not a resident - thinking about it though and have heard about no trash service. Just wanted to confirm. So no where in NH has trash pickup?

Old 10-27-2014, 08:24 PM

Thanks Valerie

Old 10-27-2014, 08:27 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,370,266 times
If you pay someone to take your trash, then you miss out on all the free goodies that people drop at the transfer station (not in a heap of trash, but set off to the side). I've picked many a good items out of recycling bins. I only go every other week, so it's not a burden at all. Get to meet my fellow townspeople too. Guess it's a New England thing...

Old 10-27-2014, 09:35 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,101,871 times
Every town is different. The cities, Nashua, Portsmouth and Manchester have weekly pickup services. Additionally, there are separate days for leaf disposal and Xmas tree disposal.

There are several companies that service small towns and villages for a nominal fee, if you are unable to take your own trash to the transfer station.

Every town has different rules re: recycling. In Derry, I had to sort the glass by color, green, brown, clear and blue. Cardboard had to be tied in bundles..etc.

Some towns have no rules on recycling and no sorting is necessary. Where I live now, we pay by the bag. Stickers are purchased for $1.50 per bag at the transfer station. All garbage has to be in clear bags so that it's easy to see what is being thrown away.

Large items are costly. $27 for a TV...washing machine, computer, etc. Since these charges began, the trash left on the side of the road and in the woods has increased exponentially. My pet peeve is walking the woods and find a dump truckload of contractor's building trash piled up a few feet off the road.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:39 AM

4,554 posts, read 5,607,375 times
Default Frugal Yankees appreciate the Transfer Station "Still Good" pile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
Trash pickup is available almost everywhere, you just have to privately contract for the service.

For renters this is an invisible problem, many multi-unit apartment buildings have private trash pickup contracts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
If you pay someone to take your trash, then you miss out on all the free goodies that people drop at the transfer station (not in a heap of trash, but set off to the side). I've picked many a good items out of recycling bins. I only go every other week, so it's not a burden at all. Get to meet my fellow townspeople too. Guess it's a New England thing...
Frugal Yankees

Best time are the first drop-off weekday after a summer weekend when everybody had their yard sale. Or early January when you can pick up all your Xmas decorations for next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire