Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 10:41 AM

170 posts, read 983,114 times

Advertisements

"You know you live in New Hampshire if the four seasons are winter, still winter, almost winter, and construction"

Is it really winter for half the year?? NH seems like a great place. I can easily stand cold weather, it's just the length of winter that might bother me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 10:48 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
Winter varies in New Hampshire-with the mildest near the Atlantic coast.

Southern New Hampshire will be milder then upstate- Winter begins in mid to late November in Northern New Hampshire, and early December in the south.

Winters end in mid to late March- again from north to south- with chilly weather and potential cold and snowy weather till the first to second week of April- again from the far north (the coldest) to the far south.

Last edited by skytrekker; 12-25-2007 at 10:57 AM..

Old 12-26-2007, 07:02 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
Well the road construction part is correct. They work on roads until December sometimes-till the snow finally comes. And it does seem that once the snow is finally gone, the very next day the road crews are out doing road construction that can last all summer.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:03 AM

17 posts, read 52,887 times
Yes. The end of October until April is cold. Then the big thaw and the mud season takes place. Then the black flies arrive at the end of May and hang around until June. The few remaining months are really nice, though.
Seriously, NH is great. But if a long winter bothers you this is not your place.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:06 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyppy View Post
Yes. The end of October until April is cold. Then the big thaw and the mud season takes place. Then the black flies arrive at the end of May and hang around until June. The few remaining months are really nice, though.
Seriously, NH is great. But if a long winter bothers you this is not your place.

Very true. Already people that we know-natives are sick of the snow so far this year. In fact most of our snow this season was actually in fall as winter just tecnically started

Old 12-26-2007, 08:10 AM

234 posts, read 1,270,103 times
gyppy hit the nail squarely on the head.

Leggo.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:19 PM

215 posts, read 583,880 times
Winter activities keeps the spiders from building cobwebs in your head. Go skiing, boarding, snowmobiling, snowshoeing,then come in and rest by the fire with a good Scotch. This is what I do and I love the winter. Winter is only as miserable as one makes it for themselves. I'm almost 60yrs. old and I have not given up yet !!!

Old 12-27-2007, 08:49 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
I'm with you Colebrook! Winter used to be too long until I learned how to ski and now it's not long enough! I learned how to snowboard as well, but I'm much safer on skis.

I found I can bend in ways I never knew before when I'm on a snowboard and I hate the fact that I'm stuck onto the board if I fall. My skis release immediately and won't hit me in the head like the board does.

Skiing is expensive but with a little checking I've found the best times to go. 2fer Tuesdays at Gunstock - 2fer Thursdays at Loon and 2fer Wednesdays at Sunapee. I always pack a cooler and spend lunch in the car. Great family times!

I've learned not to ski weekends and night skiing is awesome at both Gunstock and Crotched. I used to go night skiing at the Highlands but they closed a few years ago.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:29 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,239 times
I can see how people can think winter is long. Myself coming from Fla where we had year round summer, outdoor festivities , concerts, bbqing on the beach in Jan etc and you come up north and its cold and you can't do that stuff. But there are other things like the rest of them said, skiing, snowboarding etc...
For me personally I started wearing sweaters in October.. the winter coat late Nov and I've been up here in April , by the coast where I was still wearing sweaters and a down vest on top then. So Oct -Early May for me is "winter" .. Sometimes at night it can get chilly, even in June... So you have to be prepared for long spells of cold. Thats the cool thing though.. Its nice and refreshing

As for construction. I always laugh just because I can compare where I came from and where I am now and sometimes I just think to myself they have NO IDEA what construction is.. But for people who have lived here their whole life I can see how to them its a lot.. I used to drive on roads in Fla that have literally been underconstruction for 9 years.. Crews out every day, lane shifts, down to one lane, driving behind tractors.. Day in day out, year after year after year.. And down there, the construction doesn't stop, there's no snow or winter to stop it.. Top that off with traffic like Boston.. It would take my husband 45 mins to get to work, 3 miles away.. Not during rush hour... So depending on where you're coming from they'll still have the same problems here as anywhere else, just not as a grand of a scale.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:51 AM

885 posts, read 2,660,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfingiskewl View Post
"You know you live in New Hampshire if the four seasons are winter, still winter, almost winter, and construction"
I'm pretty sure we get Autumn here. Kinda famous for it, acutally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire