Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 04:32 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,820,449 times

Advertisements

You'd have to check your locality but most people don't have an issue with supply. Shortages occur but they are short lived. In the Fall for obvious reasons and occasionally February. That's when people are usually getting their second delivery, it also usually coincides with very cold weather and the breakers aren't running.

You're not going to find coal at Wal Mart but will at other locations like Fireplace shops. Your best bet is to stock up in the summer, you can fit about 3 ton of coal in a 4'*4'*8' bin. That's about the equivalent of 4.5 tons of pellets. As I mentioned previously there is so special care you need to take for storage, just keep the debris out of it and make sure to keep it dry so it doesn't freeze. You can let it it there for 50 years and still use it.

If you have the space for these longer distances getting a tractor trailer load is always an option, it's a significant discount. It might be like $240/ton, if you have a dump and want to make the trek to PA you can get it for about $170/ton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 02:45 PM

5 posts, read 2,229 times
I have oil heat but use a Surdiac in the living room. Looks good feels good. It is easy to start with charcoal. perhaps because this stove is for pea coal only it is easy to light and maintain. The coal comes in 40lb bags easy to stack. Three ton is about enough. When I lived in NH I did use wood but as pointed out a lot of handling is required. Cutting stacking and digging out of the snow hence the switch to coal.
Of late though I am getting concerned with coal ash and a very fine dust that gets all over the house. I would have to presume also into my lungs. When you lookup to see what is in coal dust, not very good. Also dumping the ash not good for Mother Earth. Something you would not want to eat. All this comes from information from people who live near coal plants and the issues these unfortunate have suffer from. There is lots of information out in on the net. I love my Surdiac stove, I have 2. It has kept me my lady warm and snug in many a harsh winter. I need to do more research on this issue and how clean is anthracite which I always use. Winter is coming and I have had only one motorcycle ride. Always the fall. Trod01
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire