Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 10:14 AM

396 posts, read 604,052 times

Advertisements

Ok, so you have Portsmouth, Conway, Keene, but what other areas have nice reasonable sized downtowns that offer plenty of shops for Holiday Shopping without the crowds?

Plymouth is very nice but a bit to small.

Gorham, Berlin … not enough

Maybe Meredith area?

Concord?

Manchester seems a bit on the big city side?

Gloucester?

Skip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 06:26 PM

611 posts, read 1,204,463 times
Concord has a nice, walkable downtown along Main Street. I haven't done much in the way of shopping there, so I couldn't tell you how much variety it has but there is always the box stores along Loudon Rd. if you don't find what you need. I always enjoy heading up to West Lebanon and perusing Powerhouse Mall around Christmas. There isn't much there, but it is such a quaint mall and it gets me in the Christmas spirit. Beyond that, I think you've named everything.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:20 AM

396 posts, read 604,052 times
Wow, somehow I think we'll end up in Southern Maine area?

Thanks for the input.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:10 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,394 times
Maynard Ma.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:49 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Lightbulb When I have visitors this time of year, I take them to Concord.

Yes, Manchester is more of a city, but still has a nice compact downtown for shopping, maybe a bit more crowded. On the other hand, there are more dining options in Manchester than almost anywhere else. Too often downtown Nashua is overlooked in favor of all the nearby malls.

When I have visitors this time of year, I take them to Concord. it is a nice walkable downtown and a good irish pub for afterwards. Main street is definitely what people think of as a traditional pre-mega-mall era main street shopping district, more so than I've found in any other city.

Milford has the oval, which is well decorated seasonally but tiny. More suitable for a winter pub crawl than holiday shopping.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:56 PM

239 posts, read 350,155 times
Concord is probably my favorite downtown in New Hampshire. There's a decent amount to do and it's fairly walkable.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:55 PM

176 posts, read 298,713 times
Milford pub crawl? Like, from one to the other and back again?

There's also a nice mall in a mill building out Peterborough way, or there was a decade ago when I was there last, and in Mass, Newburyport is kind of a Portsmouth light, with some cute little shops up brick paths sort of stuff.

I always hate to use the adjective "quaint", though, I never have heard it used in a sentence that didn't make it sound ever so slightly condescending. Although I suppose it's equally bad as " walkable", which conjures images of a hippie engineer corps. Guess there really isn't a good word for it.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:11 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,007,799 times
Nashua has beckonings and the league of nh craftsmen....two great places for shopping. Fresh boutique has some nice items as well.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:50 PM

276 posts, read 448,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfheim View Post
Hey now, I've done a Milford pub crawl with 3 stops and didn't even visit all the bars in town!

Old 11-08-2014, 10:39 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Cool IIRC, there are at least a dozen places serving draft beer in Milford

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfheim
Hey now, I've done a Milford pub crawl with 3 stops and didn't even visit all the bars in town!
Assuming you skipped Yankee Chef, Milford Fish Market and the many "Asian" restaurant lounges (Sake House, Jade Dragon, Cherry Blossom, Golden Palace, and Yummy Yummy), you did well, may even have hit all the places on the oval proper?

Just for Alfeim, here's a draft beer purist's itinerary:
  1. Lunch at Shaka's (formerly Malarkey's). Look for Henniker on tap.
  2. Happy Hour at Amigo's (Begins 2PM, $2.50 Dos Equis Draft, $5 Margaritas)
  3. Over to Clark's tavern (website is under construction, bar is open)
  4. Wander downhill, enjoy the last rays of sunshine with some local drafts at J's Under the Bridge
  5. Happy Hour (3-7pm, 7 days a week) with Olde Kilkenny's dozens of drafts -- order efficiently, their clock is fast!
  6. Stagger through traffic to Pasta Loft, for beer, wine, live music, then split a pizza (pizza oven shuts down at midnight on weekends)
Finally, wrap up at the Red Arrow Diner. No booze, but 24-hour warmth, serving coffee and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire