Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 07:22 AM

605 posts, read 624,888 times

Advertisements

Seems like the cost of these has gone up a lot in the last 5 years. I currently have:

Landline and internet: Fairpoint $85/mo
Cell phone: Tracfone, which I use only on the road. $100/year for 400 minutes.
TV cable: Metrocast $43
Electric: Eversource (formerly PSNH) $80/mo

I would love to get rid of Fairpoint. I MUST have reliable internet for my work and I have fairly frequent connectivity problems with Fairpoint. I lose at least $500 a year in income due to several lost days of work per year. Fairpoint's customer service for both the landline and internet tech support is just spectacularly poor. I found them extremely deceptive and dishonest when they were selling me my phone plan and it took several months for them to get my bill right. Notice that they don't even publish the cost of stand-alone internet on their website.

MY IDEAS:
TV: Roku + Hulu and Netflix
Telephone: Tracfone with triple minutes. (Cell phone reception in my area is variable.)
Internet:???
Electricity: ???

Got any good ideas for how to reduce the cost of these services? I am NOT technologically minded at all. I'm looking for alternatives that are ***cheap, simple, good quality (i.e., good voice quality), and that work consistently.***

Thanks for your ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 09:41 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
It sounds like you want better, faster, and cheaper but as we all know you can only have two of those.

If internet is important for you job, then get internet from Metrocast. Since you are wanting to do Roku, Hulu, Netflix, you will need a high speed internet connection. But it won't be any cheaper.

If you are dropping the landline and cell service is spotty with Tracphone, then look at another cell provided but it won't be any cheaper.

Eversource - you don't have choice unless you want to install a photovoltaic system, battery backup, and perhaps horses turning a generator. Again, it won't be any cheaper.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:12 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Drop Fairpoint, get Internet from a cable provider. Drop Hulu or Netflix, you don't need two streaming subscriptions.

Quote:
I MUST have reliable internet for my work and I have fairly frequent connectivity problems with Fairpoint. I lose at least $500 a year in income due to several lost days of work per year.
If you can find a wireless carrier with strong signal to your home, switch cell phone to a service with high-speed data and tethering, giving you a replacement for your landline phone and also backup Internet service.

Best thing you can do to lower your power bill is to use less electricity.
No, really -- determine what devices in your home use the most power, and use them less often, or upgrade to more efficient models (e.g. turn off lights or replace with LED).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire