Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 04:30 PM

820 posts, read 1,013,497 times

Advertisements

College doesn't make anyone smart, intelligent or happy. It mostly just makes them a pawn in this corrupt system at this point. Statistics don't mean much in relation to reality. Wow, you went to college and can impress someone enough to get married and be 'successful" and have a house. Doesn't mean you are smart or happy in any way. Meaningless donkeys for the most part. It's all a sham.

If they use their education to improve the integrity of the system then that is great. But that is not the norm. Most are getting 'educated' for the wrong reasons and this is obvious.

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 10-09-2015 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 07:10 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,716,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
College doesn't make anyone smart, intelligent or happy. It mostly just makes them a pawn in this corrupt system at this point. Statistics don't mean much in relation to reality. Wow, you went to college and can impress someone enough to get married and be 'successful" and have a house. Doesn't mean you are smart or happy in any way. Meaningless donkeys for the most part. It's all a sham.

If they use their education to improve the integrity of the system then that is great. But that is not the norm. Most are getting 'educated' for the wrong reasons and this is obvious.
That is known to be nonsense!!

Old 10-09-2015, 08:01 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,374,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post

A little bitter, maybe?

People go to college for many reasons. The data says it works out most of the time. Maybe not as much these days as in the old days. College or no college, your job can be outsourced to Mexico or India.

I'm happy that there are still careers that pay decent in NH that do not require college, like the trades. Gone are the days where someone with a high school diploma could go to work at the local mill or factory and make a good middle class wage and retire with a pension. Sorry, but politicians on both sides of the aisle have sold us out. Those well-paying jobs that require just a HS diploma and an apprenticeship are getting fewer and fewer.

You really think HS grads are any better off than college grads in the job market? I'll take my chances with a college degree (or some type of post-HS training/education) over a HS diploma any day. Is it a magic bullet? Of course not. Drive and street smarts are key whether you go to college or not. Every situation is different. But this hate towards college-educated people and careers? It seems like some people still think the mills and factories are still flourishing in NH and no one needs to go to college. Relax, people, there's room for success in NH with and without a college degree. There will always be people with English degrees working at Target or waiting tables. The degree doesn't make the person, it's a tool.

Food for thought - are all you haters willing to disregard the impact the GI Bill had on this country's success post World War II?

Meaningless donkeys? WTF? I'm about done with this thread.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:03 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,532,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
A little bitter, maybe?

People go to college for many reasons. The data says it works out most of the time. Maybe not as much these days as in the old days. College or no college, your job can be outsourced to Mexico or India.

I'm happy that there are still careers that pay decent in NH that do not require college, like the trades. Gone are the days where someone with a high school diploma could go to work at the local mill or factory and make a good middle class wage and retire with a pension. Sorry, but politicians on both sides of the aisle have sold us out. Those well-paying jobs that require just a HS diploma and an apprenticeship are getting fewer and fewer.

You really think HS grads are any better off than college grads in the job market? I'll take my chances with a college degree (or some type of post-HS training/education) over a HS diploma any day. Is it a magic bullet? Of course not. Drive and street smarts are key whether you go to college or not. Every situation is different. But this hate towards college-educated people and careers? It seems like some people still think the mills and factories are still flourishing in NH and no one needs to go to college. Relax, people, there's room for success in NH with and without a college degree. There will always be people with English degrees working at Target or waiting tables. The degree doesn't make the person, it's a tool.

Food for thought - are all you haters willing to disregard the impact the GI Bill had on this country's success post World War II?

Meaningless donkeys? WTF? I'm about done with this thread.
Who hates the college educated? I don't.. I have a couple of years of college ( surprised? ) what I do hate is the whining about self acquired debt especially by those that didn't bother to think things out before they proceeded...it really is that simple.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:15 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,374,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Who hates the college educated? I don't.. I have a couple of years of college ( surprised? ) what I do hate is the whining about self acquired debt especially by those that didn't bother to think things out before they proceeded...it really is that simple.
I agree. No one is forcing anyone to go to college. To call it useless though is not at all accurate and is short sighted. I sense lots of bias against people who try to better their lives through post HS education in this thread.

My life is much better for having gone to college, IMO. Then again, I had almost no student debt thanks to the military

Old 10-10-2015, 11:18 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,716,888 times
I have a BS in Business and I don't even have a job which I absolutely love so I guess I didn't need to go to college. You know what though I'm still glad I did so I don't know what that means, but, I think education is still a good thing regardless of your job or lack of

Old 10-11-2015, 06:31 AM

820 posts, read 1,013,497 times
My point is all these whiners complaining about the middle class being eliminated but then go to college and get careers just for the making as much money the easiest way possible.(I.E. finance) All they are doing is making the rich richer and making it harder for the average Joe. College has become is like paying a lifetime union membership for a chance to be in the 'elite' class for the most part. It has become a joke and mockery like most everything else in the 'progress' trap agenda. If you can't beat them join them, huh. The nature of this young generation is to sell out their souls because that is what they are conditioned to do by the system of media brainwash which capitalizes on the emotional aspects of human. Greed, Lust, Jealousy is what is making this economy spin and it keeps spinning faster with the money flying off to the upper elite class faster and faster.

Be careful what you wish for. You know it is all racket, when people don't work for and earn things, this is what happens. They take the easy way out one way or another because they are spoiled brats that lack integrity and it only makes the big picture uglier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progress_trap

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 10-11-2015 at 07:12 AM..

Old 10-11-2015, 06:45 AM

385 posts, read 343,109 times
I don't see anyone arguing against education. The points made are:

1. College is not something that the payment of should be forced on taxpayers, and;

2. Useful education and jobs come in a variety of packages, not just the 4+ years of traditional "college" route, and;

3. Not all college education degrees offered are useful, which leads to unemployed or underemployed "well educated" people, also which would rub salt into the potential wound of taxpayers being forced to pay for it.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:33 AM

17,110 posts, read 21,770,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dross99_si View Post
Why is it that prisoners have it so good? They should have the bare minimum. Food, water, clothes and a bed. No luxuries. Is there a need for TVs and entertainment in prison? If they don't like it then they should conduct themselves in a manner which keeps them out of prison. Am I wrong here? Why are we paying for inmates to have entertainment and luxuries and generally live better than some folks that aren't in jail?
Something as cheap as a TV can keep peace inside the prison. Keep in mind not everyone in a prison is a prisoner (guards, employees). The staff has a right to a somewhat safe workplace.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:40 AM

17,110 posts, read 21,770,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2017 View Post
I don't see anyone arguing against education. The points made are:

1. College is not something that the payment of should be forced on taxpayers, and;

2. Useful education and jobs come in a variety of packages, not just the 4+ years of traditional "college" route, and;

3. Not all college education degrees offered are useful, which leads to unemployed or underemployed "well educated" people, also which would rub salt into the potential wound of taxpayers being forced to pay for it.
All excellent points. Keep in mind that some kids treat college as a "party experience" then are shocked when they graduate with a degree in "18th century latin studies" and can't get a job outside of Starbucks!

I also think it is criminal for some colleges to saddle kids with thousands of dollars in debt knowing that certain programs they offer will be useless to that student in the future in regards to employment!

College education is a business. Just like in real life, some people get better deals and better outcomes in their college experience. Part of the blame is the parents as well. The parents can be more concerned about decorating the dorm room than what the first semester's classes are. Personally, I would be more proactive and would want to see a "written plan" with the expectation of a certain degree. Then I would fire up the Monster.com job search to see what that degree pays in today's dollars before I send Jr off to college with my check!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire