Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 06:10 AM

818 posts, read 1,016,646 times

Advertisements

On another related note, Massachusetts has about three times the amount of unsolved murders by percentage compared with NH. They have lots of colleges though. And the more people that are entitled to educations, the less the education is worth. This is what is happening, the value of an education is actually diminishing rather than increasing, just like the value of the dollar and most everything else.

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 10-12-2015 at 06:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 07:56 AM

17,261 posts, read 21,991,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
On another related note, Massachusetts has about three times the amount of unsolved murders by percentage compared with NH. They have lots of colleges though. And the more people that are entitled to educations, the less the education is worth. This is what is happening, the value of an education is actually diminishing rather than increasing, just like the value of the dollar and most everything else.
hey I'd rather have a US dollar compared to a Canadian one!

Old 10-13-2015, 12:36 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,148 times
This just happened to come across my fb feed this morning..figured it fit the conversation

Old 10-13-2015, 04:25 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
This just happened to come across my fb feed this morning..figured it fit the conversation
That's a good point and entirely true in many cases. However, be aware that that "trade school" might be Great Bay Community College
Welding Technologies | Great Bay Community College

or Manchester Community College
Welding Technology Degree Program - Manchester Community College, New Hampshire

or White Mountain Community College
Advanced Welding Technology Certificate | WMCC

All state schools of higher education. The student could quite possibly be using federal financial aid or VA benefits to pay.

All in all, the Community College system in NH is a great way to a good career in a technical area or as a stepping stone to a 4 year degree by transferring that 2 year degree.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:15 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Also keep in mind that welding is not an enjoyable job, and not something that one wants to do for a lifetime career. There was a news story recently about a young man in TX that went into welding instead of college and was making the big bucks.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-140-...job-1420659586

My middle sister's ex-husband was an underwater welder for a while. It was amazing money while he was doing it.

Anyway, I think that the original idea behind getting a college degree and a white collar job, was that the money was decent and sitting at a desk all day for work was a good career choice. Meanwhile, I have some mechanic friends who have been wrenching for over two decades... the pay is decent, but they have lower back problems and their hands are all roughed up and scarred with cuts from metal and burns from hot car parts.

When one is young, a physically demanding job is not a big deal. But later on, if one wants to be a supervisor or have a desk job, having a college degree or at the very least good math and analytic skills is what is needed. I am all for blue collar work, but it would be smart to take some evening or weekend courses at a community college to add some more knowledge and skills to the resume for later on.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:13 AM

9,873 posts, read 7,195,178 times
He is making those big bucks but he works 72 hours a week to make that kind of money.

Now I totally agree that college isn't for everyone. There are plenty of opportunities for people to work in the trades. I think many aren't interested in those trade jobs because of the long term apprenticeship commitment required to earn a good living.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:58 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
He is making those big bucks but he works 72 hours a week to make that kind of money.

Now I totally agree that college isn't for everyone. There are plenty of opportunities for people to work in the trades. I think many aren't interested in those trade jobs because of the long term apprenticeship commitment required to earn a good living.
I work 40 hours per week in my job (college degree required). I've been there though, 60-70 hour weeks in the military as a commanding officer (college degree required). Took a long time to get that college degree, and didn't start off making big bucks right away.

Seems like the younger folks want instant success and money these days. Too much Hollywood and stories of people making millions uploading entertaining videos to Youtube. College or not, working your way up the career ladder is not quick or easy.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:00 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
I work 40 hours per week in my job (college degree required). I've been there though, 60-70 hour weeks in the military as a commanding officer (college degree required). Took a long time to get that college degree, and didn't start off making big bucks right away.

Seems like the younger folks want instant success and money these days. Too much Hollywood and stories of people making millions uploading entertaining videos to Youtube. College or not, working your way up the career ladder is not quick or easy.

and that is truth!

Old 10-19-2015, 09:58 AM

818 posts, read 1,016,646 times
The educational system is failing because of apathy, laziness and greed. It is all backwards. The common American public has been fooled big time into buying into the ridiculousness of it all. What a waste of lives.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:56 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I would rather be looking for a career with a focused college education than a high school diploma or a trade school skill. A friend's son recently graduated with a mechanical engineering degree and, after a couple of summers apprenticeship, started working at about 70 grand a year.

After I got back from 'Nam I realized there was very little demand for a highly skilled thug. I used my trade as a machinist to get a decent paying job. I then used the support of my wife's family to get a degree in environmental science. I parlayed that into a decent but only middling lucrative career. If I had not gotten the degree I probably would have had my job sold overseas several time and been living on Social Security alone because that trade would have never paid well enough to or lasted long enough to save for a pension.

I do not mind supporting state colleges with my tax money. I think the main reason we have so many criminals that we spend more on jails than education is without a good education the only way to make decent money is to be a criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire