Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 03:47 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,180,974 times

Advertisements

Shhh . . . don't tell OP, but 4th of July fireworks' shows are not necessarily on the 4th of July, either, depending on what town you live in. Link to 2015 dates: 2015 4th of July fireworks dates and times in New Hampshire | Local News - WMUR Home

That said, apparently the "official" date for setting off your own starts in June and ends when it's too cold to stay outside comfortably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 06:11 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,098 times
I personally think Treat or Treating door to door should be a thing of the past.

I am so over opening my door to strangers. I live in a quaint, sweet town--but usually that is where the stories of something horrible happens.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:05 PM

571 posts, read 1,317,625 times
Just so people tuning in late will know: While towns may 'set' or pass the word about regarding hours and days for actual "Trick-or-treating" it is mostly for the benefit of the homeowners so they can be prepared for the arrival of the little ones at their doors. In Nashua, we have it from 6 to 8 PM and at or about 8 PM, the homeowners turn off their outside lights indicating that they are closed for business.
The set times and dates are not a matter of law, rather a very informal agreement. We have had the actual Trick-or-Treat day shifted because of severe weather but hat will not be the case tomorrow evening!

Old 10-31-2015, 11:23 AM

385 posts, read 345,213 times

Happy Halloween!

Old 10-31-2015, 12:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,746,700 times
I don't understand why there would be any anger over an issue like this. I moved to NH from Massachusetts a couple of years ago and I did find it a little odd that trick or treating where I live was not always on Halloween but it did not cause me one single moment of alarm. All the kids care is that they get to dress up and get some candy. If it's on the 30th instead of the 31st, who cares? I also don't mind the time restrictions. I like knowing when I can close shop and crack a beer. I haven't heard of having to have a special sign though. Where I live you either leave your porch light on or off, and it's been like that everywhere I've lived.

The other gripe about the fire pits...yes you are officially supposed to get a permit from the fire department to have a fire but nobody does it, and nobody cares. I have weekly fires in the backyard with the kids and I've never applied for a permit, and nobody has ever complained. It was also like that in Mass so that is not unique to this state. I think most areas have rules like that. I think the OP's problem in that case is just having a nosy and overbearing neighbor.

I agree that the Live Free or Die motto gives people a false impression about the state though. I think perhaps too many of my fellow Mazzholes have moved up here and sucked some of the fun out of the place. I do promise not to be one of those people though.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:01 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2017 View Post

Happy Halloween!
Indeed!

Old 10-31-2015, 01:36 PM

385 posts, read 345,213 times
CrazyDave: Every time you post pictures, I want to live there!

...Except for the cemetery...(those were not there when I posted, I swear!

Last edited by sb2017; 10-31-2015 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Except for the cemetery...

Old 11-01-2015, 12:47 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,167 times
Well, I seriously couldn't give a flying F when kids went trick or treating. Like another poster said that is a thing of the past Halloween is for parties and it is a holy day. Blessed be.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:17 AM

111 posts, read 118,333 times
Stephen Colbert pokes fun at central Ohio's trick-or-treat schedule
HALLOWEEN 2015

Stephen Colbert pokes fun at central Ohio's trick-or-treat schedule

"What's your problem, Reynoldsburg, Ohio?" jokes Stephen Colbert on "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert."
On the Oct. 30 episode of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, the late-night host mentioned the razor-blade candy scare in Reynoldsburg, which police reported after the Columbus suburb's trick-or-treating or Thursday night.

But it wasn't the razor blade he was upset about.

"What's your problem, Reynoldsburg, Ohio?" Colbert said. "Thursday? Really? Why? Halloween falls on a Saturday this year. The only people who have to trick-or-treat on Thursday are Orthodox Jews trying to get their candy before Shabbos. That's it. Reynoldsburg, why can't you wait until Oct. 31?Moderator cut: don't re-post whole articles, post only a short quote and a link to the original source

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2015 at 05:47 AM..

Old 11-01-2015, 07:39 AM

111 posts, read 118,333 times
NH Trick or Treat Times and more Halloween events in NH

I had to look (out of curiosity because I did not hear which areas changed the dates), but at least the towns that did, only moved it up one night. As my previous post shows - some Ohio areas rescheduled to a Thursday this year (ugh!!!) and made National news apparently. Also, those Ohio areas mostly Trick or Treat for an hour and a half. I noticed in NH it ran for 2 or 3 hours; we enjoyed the latter. What an awesome night!!

Hope everyone had a fun and safe Halloween!

Last edited by dnbnv-n; 11-01-2015 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire