Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 12:53 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I was hoping to gauge the hiring climate in New Hampshire. I am a mechanical engineer and my wife is about to finish her Masters in Social Work. Is there a lot of hiring for these professions?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 01:37 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
IMO your best bet is for the both of you to check out some online NH employment sites like Monster.com, indeed and craigslist. However, from my own observations, while there are always job openings, there is big competition for the decent paying jobs in this state. Consequently, most employers don't have to consider out of state applicants... so you'd have to move here and gamble that you both can find work. Your best bet is to move to MA first and find work there. Then try to find work in NH and move here after that.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:38 PM

323 posts, read 346,178 times
Hi there!

I can't tell you if yours or your wife's careers are considered "in demand," but you may be able to find out that info from NH Department of Labor. Usually the labor dept shares certain reports that tell you if certain jobs are considered "in demand." If your wife is an LSW, they may also be able to tell you how to transfer her license too.

Good luck!

Old 11-11-2015, 09:11 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
I was hoping to get a general synopsis of the employment climate. It doesn't sound on the surface that there is a bounty of opportunities. My wife would have to do 2000 hours or so to get her LCSW. She is just about to finish her MSW.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:29 PM
miu

Why would you think that NH would have a bounty of employment opportunities for you and your wife? The New England area has no shortage of social workers or mechanical engineers.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:00 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Why would you think that NH would have a bounty of employment opportunities for you and your wife? The New England area has no shortage of social workers or mechanical engineers.
This is what he said:
"It doesn't sound on the surface that there is a bounty of opportunities."

So he's not saying he thinks there are a bounty of opportunities.

Do you have any idea if there is or is not a shortage of social workers or mechanical engineers in New England compared to other parts of the country? Or are you just pulling this opinion out of your.....?

OP, just do some research on the NH Dept of Employment Security website, or perhaps a mechanical engineer or social worker here in NH will chime in with his/her feel.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:22 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Hello!

I was hoping to gauge the hiring climate in New Hampshire. I am a mechanical engineer and my wife is about to finish her Masters in Social Work. Is there a lot of hiring for these professions?

Thank you!
Is there any particular reason you seek New Hampshire? Or are you searching nationwide?

Many in southern New Hampshire work in Massachusetts. The further north you go the skilled jobs diminish. Nice areas to live in. Just not that many skilled jobs.
The old industries - the mills - are long closed.
Many parts of New Hampshire are seasonal and/or recreational jobs.
There is always the trades. People need stuff fixed or built.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:44 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
This is what he said:
"It doesn't sound on the surface that there is a bounty of opportunities."

So he's not saying he thinks there are a bounty of opportunities.

Do you have any idea if there is or is not a shortage of social workers or mechanical engineers in New England compared to other parts of the country? Or are you just pulling this opinion out of your.....?

OP, just do some research on the NH Dept of Employment Security website, or perhaps a mechanical engineer or social worker here in NH will chime in with his/her feel.
From his first post, it really did sound as if he thought NH would be full of job opportunities for the both of them.

As to my opinions of the current NH job market, why yes I do search several job sites frequently for all types of work. So starting with social workers, well NH is a small rural state with a low density population. And we don't have the big budgets like CA does or even MA and NY for social workers. Our waiting lists for Section 8 vouchers is extremely long. So no, NH is no suffering from a lack of social worker applicants, especially ones who are newly graduated from their programs.

Then about mechanical engineers. Well, the OP would be also competing with all the mechanical engineers looking for work who are currently living in the Boston area, including the ones graduating from MIT and the numerous great colleges and universities in the New England area. The OP didn't mention having any particular specialty engineering knowledge or expertise.

So sure, the OP and his wife are welcome to move to NH, but there is no guarantee that they are going to easily or quickly find jobs in their fields right away. Again, most likely, they would have better luck looking for work in the Boston area, getting established and used to New England life and winters, before making a move up to NH.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:31 AM
miu

Also the OP should know that whatever the pay ranges for social workers and mechanical engineers are in CA or even in MA, it's significantly lower for those jobs in NH. Yes, I understand the appeal of NH over CA with our lack of state sales and income taxes AND our real estate is cheaper too. But with a lower COL come also lower wages... and why so many Boston area workers choose to live in southern NH.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:33 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
From his first post, it really did sound as if he thought NH would be full of job opportunities for the both of them.

As to my opinions of the current NH job market, why yes I do search several job sites frequently for all types of work. So starting with social workers, well NH is a small rural state with a low density population. And we don't have the big budgets like CA does or even MA and NY for social workers. Our waiting lists for Section 8 vouchers is extremely long. So no, NH is no suffering from a lack of social worker applicants, especially ones who are newly graduated from their programs.

Then about mechanical engineers. Well, the OP would be also competing with all the mechanical engineers looking for work who are currently living in the Boston area, including the ones graduating from MIT and the numerous great colleges and universities in the New England area. The OP didn't mention having any particular specialty engineering knowledge or expertise.

So sure, the OP and his wife are welcome to move to NH, but there is no guarantee that they are going to easily or quickly find jobs in their fields right away. Again, most likely, they would have better luck looking for work in the Boston area, getting established and used to New England life and winters, before making a move up to NH.
So you don't work in either one of those fields or have family/close friends that work in those fields? Just searching job boards? Speculating on supply vs. demand? OK....

OP, again, wait for someone to chime in with experience working in these fields. Better yet, try looking on some occupational forums for social workers and engineers and see if you can find someone on there that works in the Manchester/Nashua area who can give you some firsthand advice.

There tends to be some negativity from time to time on this board with regards to newcomers from out of state. Negativity towards anything, actually.

My opinion - not substantiated by any fact or data - is that you'll have an easier time finding work in Engineering than in social work. NH Dept of Employment Security is your friend for data....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire