Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 05:12 AM

6 posts, read 11,484 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

My husband and I currently live in Concord. He works in the Longwood area of Boston. We love Concord but the commute is getting to be too much for him. Since we are both fairly new to NH, we are clueless about towns on the MA border. Here's what we're looking for:

Pretty town with low crime rate
Not a long drive to the highway
Vibrant town with things to do
Access to shopping
Good school district
Our budget is up to $400,000 but of course would like to spend less than that

What are good border towns that fit that criteria?

Please let me know if you need anymore info. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 07:07 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,604 times
Salem, NH
Hollis, NH
Londonderry

Old 12-15-2015, 02:29 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,617,454 times
I love Hollis but wouldn't want to commute down Rt 3, personally.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:07 AM

20 posts, read 24,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Salem, NH
Hollis, NH
Londonderry
Hollis, good... Windham, run away; too many transplants.. Salem... wonderfully high crime rate.... Londonderry... highest pedophile level in all of Rockingham county... I have a place in Bedford that I visit occasionally, and though I don't have to do it, the commute to Boston is rough... even with Boston Express; unless you commute at the right times, it can take a long time. Glad I am out of that lifestyle.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:08 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
Default Sorry, kind of long-wanted to get it all into one post :)

Good Morning

I certainly can understand wanting to avoid a daily commute from Concord to the Longwood area of Boston--moving to (or near) a border town will likely shave 35-45 minutes off his daily commute. Since you mentioned that you're fairly new to NH, I would just ask a couple of questions before jumping in with any recommendations.

Would taking public transportation be feasible for him? If so, the Boston Express stops at Exits 2 (Salem), 4 & 5 (Londonderry), with terminals at Exit 2 & 5. Getting from South Station to the Longwood area might be tricky, but could work... There is also a Boston Express that runs from Exit 8 in Nashua to South Station (just to consider towns on the west side of the Merrimack) that also drops at South Station & Logan.

Questions about things other than on your list:
What is your tolerance for things like going to the dump (transfer station) with your trash. You can hire a private hauler if the town you choose doesn't have public trash pick-up, but honestly, most folks I know love their weekly dump runs. They run into people from across town that they might not have seen in awhile, and if the town allows it, you can put your 'still good, but unwanted' items in a special area, where others will find a new treasure to bring home. I've been lusting after a gorgeous scrolled iron gate that my friend snagged at the dump last spring. And a garden club member got her hands on dozens of old bricks that someone was getting rid of. They were transferred from the back of one pickup truck into another, and now those bricks have new life as a garden walkway. Reduce, reuse, recycle! Yeah, trash pick up is convenient, but picking is a highly respected New England tradition

Another consideration is are you OK with private water & private sewer, or do you prefer to have these as public utilities? If you are buying, realize that you really should have a sewer inspection and water testing completed. While water testing labs have to meet state guidelines, septic inspections can range from someone digging up 3 shovelfuls of rock and deeming the leachfield to be 'pass' or 'fail', I would much recommend a much more comprehensive test that includes a push camera throughout each pvc line, and exposing the distribution box. It's a little more money, but considering that a new septic system can run 10k or more, I think it's money well spent.

If you prefer, or even require public water & public sewer, that will seriously limit the towns that you can consider. And while Salem has quite a lot of access to public water/sewer, many homes (even in your 400k price range) do not. Londonderry also has a few neighborhoods with public/public-very limited.

Schools, Rte 93 access:
Not knowing how old your children are, you might consider a town that contracts with Pinkerton Acadamy. Currently, these towns are Auburn, Chester, Derry, Hampstead & (most recently, Hooksett). Of these, my suggestion would be Hampstead, since he could easily access Exit 3 via Rte 111. Hooksett would gain nothing for you in terms of the commute, so should be dismissed. Auburn & Chester are nice towns with a rural feel, but are furthest from the highway.

I would definitely consider Windham (but realize that prices will be higher than neighborhing towns, and taxes are $$$ thanks in part to the new HS, built in the last 5 or so years, one of the top rated in the state). Perhaps consider Pelham and Londonderry too. Salem (like Derry) has a high percentage of rental units and trailer park homes. This is not meant to be disparaging, but studies suggest that some these parents may not be as vocal and committed to the educational process (which would include being knowledgeable on LOCAL budget issues, and attending town meetings and/or voting on town & school budget).

LOCAL CONTROL is a very important part of New Hampshire culture. It's not something that I've experienced anywhere else that I have lived. But I digress...

If you might consider moving west of the Merrimack River, I would consider both Amherst and Hollis. Hollis and Brookline share the middle school and high school, and is consistently a top rated system. Brookline is more rural, further from the highway and has higher taxes than Hollis, while Hollis values/home prices will be higher. Merrimack isn't as highly rated as either Hollis or Amherst, BUT I know many people who live there and LOVE their neighborhoods, their schools, and the town spirit. It's not the most convenient town for accessing the highway, due to the darn tolls that STILL exist if you're heading south on the Everett Turnpike.

Hope this is helpful for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire